Nevada State Board requires candidates to have the standard 150 credit hours of education in order to sit for the exam.
For licensing, the requirement is rather strict: candidates will need to fulfill 2 years of public accounting experience in which 700 hours must be in audit.
Nevada CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
- Bachelor degree or above.
- 150 semester units from an accredited university or educational institution.
- Accounting courses — 30 semester hours above the introductory level. Courses may include:
- Financial Accounting (Intermediate I, II, III or advanced): 9 hours
- Cost Accounting: 3 hours
- Auditing: 3 hours
- Federal Income Tax: 3 hours
- Accounting Electives: 12 hours
- Business law: 3 hours.
- General business: 24 semester units in undergrad or graduate level; must be courses other than accounting.
- Please click here for specific course requirements.
2. Additional Nevada CPA Requirements to Get the License
- No additional requirements.
- 2 years public accounting with 1,000 hours in the attest function, 700 of the 1,000 must be in audit.
- IRS and Internal Audit experience may be qualified — please check with NV state board for details.
- Part-time work can be counted, and even unpaid/volunteer work maybe ok — please double check with board for the latest rule.
- The experience must be supervised and verified by a US CPA only, not CPA equivalent.
- Rules of Professional Conduct (Ethics) exam taken within the last 3 years is fine.
- The easiest way is to pass the CPA Ethics Exam administered by the AICPA.
3. Nevada CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required
- Nevada residency not required
- Social security number requirement: SSN is not required. Contact the Board to be assigned a number to use in place of the SSN on the application.
- Minimum age: none
- First-timers: $774 + application fee.
5. Continuing Education
CPE is needed for license holders. Click here for Nevada CPA CPE requirements.
6. Other Useful Information
Nevada State Board of Accountancy
1325 Airmotive Way, Suite 220
Reno, NV 89502
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (775) 786-0231
- Fax: (775) 786-0234
What if the Nevada CPA Requirements Don’t Work for Me?
Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to drop a note in the comment section, or visit my Facebook page.