CPA Education Requirements: My Latest and Complete Guide

cpa education requirementsWe’ve got lots of information on CPA exam application for US candidates and international candidates, but given the many questions on CPA education requirements over the years, here is an explanation detailing the process, and what to watch out for.

Let’s Go Over the CPA Education Requirements in this Video

The easiest way for you to understand the various requirements:

The following is the same in text format, with some additional information.

CPA Education Requirements: The 3 Criteria

1. Degree Requirement

You must have a US bachelor degree or equivalent. By equivalent it means 4 years of university degree, or a 3-year bachelor degree plus 1 or 2-year master’s degree in related field. Some state boards recognize post-secondary school courses (e.g. A Level or other types of post-secondary diplomas) as 1 year of higher education.

3-year BCOM in combination with MCOM or other relevant master’s degree (e.g. accounting or taxation) is generally accepted. But things get complicated if the degree programs don’t relate to each other.

For example, one of my readers have a 3-year BCOM + 1 year of diploma program. Alaska State Board rejected her application based on the following:

Bachelor’s degrees in the United States require completion of four years of progressively advanced study in a unified degree program. Therefore, it is not possible to consider that your one-year diploma program and three-year undergraduate program represent the equivalent of a completed degree program in the United States.

2. 150 Credit Hour Requirements

About half of the state boards require 150 credit hours from accredited educational institution to get qualified for the exam. Other state boards let you take the exam first with a bachelor degree (120 credit hours). You can then complete the remaining 30 credit hours before applying for the license.

150 credit hours generally means 5 years of higher education. These credit hours can be obtained via non-degree courses. Therefore, it is possible that your courses are counted towards #2 (150-hour requirement) and not in #1 (degree requirement) if they are not offered via a degree program.

3. Minimum Number of Accounting and Business Requirements

This requirement varies among the states, but you typically need 24 credit hours of accounting courses and 24 hours of business courses.

Please be aware of the following:

  • Some state boards have further requirement in the nature of accounting courses. For example, a certain number of credit hours must be at upper-division level, meaning intermediate to advanced courses taken in the third and fourth year of university.
  • Other state boards have different requirements for exam and licensing. For example, California requires 24 accounting credit hours to sit for the exam, but 20 additional accounting credit hours and 10 ethics hours for the license. We have readers who misunderstood the rule and had to make up for extra courses after the exam.

Don’t Forget the Experience Requirements

Unless you go through an accounting program in a US university, fulfilling the CPA educational requirements could be a very frustrating process. To make things worse, the experience requirements can be equally tough.

Some candidates find it overwhelming to deal with both sets of requirements. They just want to get started, so they deal with the educational side first without thinking thoroughly about the experience side of the rules. At the end, there is no way to fulfill the experience requirement of that particular state, and transferring exam credit to another state is not possible because they didn’t fulfill the other states’ CPA educational requirements in the first place.

A Scenario You Don’t Want to Get Into

Maine is the classic example. Many candidates pick Maine because it only requires 15 credit hour of accounting courses. These candidates are often non-accounting majors and they don’t plan to work as auditors.

After they pass the CPA exam, they realize that Maine strictly requires 2 years of public accounting experience. Their plans are thrown in chaos – they are either forced to work as auditors for two years, or forget about the CPA qualification. Some try to transfer their exam credits, but it may not be possible since they don’t have enough accounting credit hours.

My Suggestion

I strongly recommend that you map out a workable plan from start to finish. In other words, make sure you can fulfill not only the CPA educational requirements but also those for experience.

It takes a lot of effort to get a workable plan. It may also take you longer because you need to take a few extra courses. But having a roadmap that works all the way is the best way to get our CPA title.

Step 2:
CPA Experience Requirements >>

For Your Research on CPA Education Requirements

1. Check Out

The application can be an exceedingly complicated process, and the outcome often depends on your unique educational background and situation. I would love to help as much as I can, but in many cases it is easier and more efficient to do your own research and decide accordingly.

There exists a database that contains the rules and regulations of the all state board regarding the CPA educational requirements. Every one can access with a fee. If you are serious about the exam, I encourage you narrow down your choice to no more than 5 states, free up half a day and buy a 24-hour pass for US$10. It’s worth it.

2. Seek Expert Advice

If you don’t have time to figure things out, there is a CPA exam qualification service. Leslie-Anne Rogers has helped thousands of candidates get through the complicated process for more than 17 years.

She works for Wiley CPAexcel, and understandably she provides service only to their students. You will find out the exact state that works after purchasing the CPAexcel course.

Rest assured that they have a good product with 9 out of 10 students pass on their first attempt (CPAexcel is on my recommended list regardless of this service).

There is a 95% refund if Leslie-Anne can’t get you qualified at the end.

About the Author Stephanie Ng

I am the author of How to Pass The CPA Exam (published by Wiley) and the publisher of this and several accounting professional exam prep sites

follow me on:
  • Anne H says:


    I see that you touch upon issues that are similar to mine on your website, so I was wondering if you can help me.

    I am a us citizen and a NY state resident. I graduated Fairleigh Dickinson University with a MS degree which allowed for me to sit for the cpa exam in NJ (151 credits, including 27 accounting credits and 12 business credits). I passed all 4 exams. However, I ran into issues when I gave the nj experience form to my cpa employer to complete, and he pointed out that I do not have any audit experience-only 3 years of public accounting in taxation. Since NJ requires 25% of the experience to be in the audit field, I do not qualify to become a nj cpa. My education qualifies but my experience does not

    SO -my question to you is:

    Is there another state in the US (preferably on the east coast) which will grant me a cpa license based on the education and tax experience that I have?

    I would greatly appreciate your expert advice and guidance.

    Thank you so very much!

    Anne H

  • Anne says:


    Appreciate all the info on this site. I’m a little confused about fulfilling 150 semester hours.

    My situation: Got my bachelor degree in Kinesiology. Did not take accounting courses and no accounting experience. But I’m determined to get CPA license and get into the career. Planning to remain and work in California.

    My questions:
    1) Do I take 150 semester units worth of accounting, business, accounting study and ethic courses? Or do I just take 24 units of accounting and business each, 20 of accounting study and 10 of ethic courses? You mentioned in this post that if you already have bachelor’s, you only need extra 30 units to take the courses. Does it apply to non-accounting degree holders?

    2) Since I don’t have prior accounting related experience but planning to get into the career, where would you suggest I seek for internship/entry job? What kind of setting (accounting firm, small/medium business, etc)?

    Hope to hear back from you. Thank you so much!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Anne, thanks for your note! You are correct that you don’t need the full 150 credit hours to be in accounting and business. As long as you fulfill the minimum it’s fine.

      For California, the minimum accounting course is 24 credit hours and for business it’s also 24 hours. But after you pass the exam, there are additional accounting requirements to fulfill, so I suggest that you take them all at once.

      Here is the summary on the CA requirements for your info:

      In your case, you might as well take a master’s degree in accounting. You can then fulfill the accounting / business courses in one go, and get help from your school’s career center. In that one year of master’s, you have a much higher chance to get internships etc. The only thing is the cost…

      • Leo says:

        I am somewhat in the same kind of situation where I graduated with a Bachelor’s in Kinesiology 4 years ago. I am looking for the most affordable option in qualifying for the CPA exam. I currently work full-time and would like to take a couple classes step by step until I fulfill the requirements.

        My question is it still possible to just take the 48 units of accounting and business subjects at a community college and take the exam?

        Any advice would be truly appreciated, many thanks!

        • Stephanie Ng says:

          Hi Leo, yes it is possible and ok for most states. But for a few state board such as New York, they do not recognize “core” accounting classes (e.g. financial accounting, audit) from community colleges. So it is best to make sure your state board is fine with that. Sending them a quick email to confirm is the way to go. Good luck! Stephanie

  • O.B says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Great post!
    I am in my 3rd and final year of BCOM Accountancy in Dubai.The bachelor’s degree is actually a 4 year degree but I have accelerated it by doing courses in the optional summer semester. Would this pose a problem in terms of fulfilling the educational requirements?
    Does US strictly consider the number of years?
    As the number of courses in my degree remain the same irrespective of the duration, I have completed the 120 credit hour requirement.

    Looking forward to hear from you!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi O.B,
      If your program is accelerated, shouldn’t be a problem. Please make sure your credential evalutor understands it though. It is a good idea to provide a proof of such arrangement, or at least call them up to explain the situation. Good luck! Regards, Stephanie

  • Dwell says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have passed 4 CPA exams (NH) and am applying license. I have only 18 accounting credit but missing Cost accounting. NASBA evaluated 150 credit foreign bachelor degree, US MBA master degree. One year industry working experience and supervisor is active CPA.

    Which state do you recommend to to transfer my grade and apply license? I am currently looking at CNMI whose education option 2b requires only 15 accounting credits, which I need to obtain cost accounting credit from UNA. My concern is the non-degree credit will not be consider part of graduate education.

    Do you have any suggestions

    Thank you


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Dwell, I am not familiar with CNMI at all… I probably would pick a state (or Guam) to get a license.
      This page may help. Assuming you don’t have SSN, don’t pick Maine as SSN is now strictly required.

      Alaska may work, but their experience requirement is vague so do make sure you are ok with that. Regards, Stephanie

      • Dawei says:

        Hi Stephanie

        Thank you for your reply,

        I have been working in the US for more than one year, I have a SSN.

        Today I just nail down to apply license from Michigan where they require only 12 graduate accounting credit (not specific course requirement but have not to be tax nor inform Tech) if holding a Master in Business

        a good resource to check out each state is a link from AICPA official website

        Anyway, thank you so much for your time and reply

        Have a good day


  • Ali says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Very informative post.

    I am an ACCA member and also have a BSc in Applied accounting from Oxford brooks. How many credit hours do you think will this grant me. Further, if I complete a Masters in accounting from a US university, will this be sufficient from me to meet the education requirement i.e. 150 credit hours.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Ali, thanks for your note! Yeah, BSc in an non-accounting degree plus ACCA may not work, because the degree is 3 years (right?) and also most states don’t count ACCA. The few states that count ACCA only grant credit hours, not an equivalent to a bachelor degree. Taking a master’s degree in the US will solve all the issues in terms of getting enough accounting courses, and for the degree and 150 credit hour requirements. It is costly though, so if you are to do it, try to get into the best school you can with a good career center, so it will also help you landing a job in the US, assuming this is also one of your goals.

      Hope it helps! Stephanie

      • Ali says:

        Dear Stephanie,

        Thanks for your reply. Your guidance has been really helpful.
        The BSc in applied accounting degree is considered as an accounting degree and is provided based on the ACCA examination. The degree is considered as a full time 3 year degree in the UK.
        Further, does AICPA accept correspondence Master’s degrees, for example if one is done from the United Kingdom or only full time Masters in a US university with all the elective accounting courses will be acceptable.
        Thanks again.

        • Stephanie Ng says:

          Hi Ali, that’s good to know. I *think* they do count your degree although I am not 100% sure since it is based on a professional qualification (the ACCA) instead of a traditional university setting. As for the correspondence degree, I believe most states are fine but again can’t give you a blanket answer because I’ve seen a few that may have issues with non-US correspondence degree. If it is a US one, it is most likely ok. I know it sounds complicated, so it is best to have a professional evaluation agency go through everything and give you an answer. Regards, Stephanie

  • Ashley says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I had a question about qualifying to take the CPA exam. I live in NJ and I have BA in a non business major. I took 12 credits of economics courses in college but no accounting courses but I really want to get my CPA. Money is tight as I owe loans from college and I don’t want to get a Master’s degree. NJ requires a high amount of credits to become a CPA but Pennsylvania requires less, only 24 in accounting or accounting related courses. If I took 24 accounting credits at an NJ community college would I qualify to sit for the PA exam? I’m planning on taking advanced accounting classes at a 4 year university eventually but I want to take the exam so I can start my work experience and more advanced accounting classes.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Ashley,
      Yes it should work. Please double check to see if PA accepts “core” accounting courses taken from a community college. I know the vast majority of state boards are ok but a few such as New York doesn’t allow it. Just to be prudent to check, you know.

      How about the business courses, do you think you have enough?

      Also, please check and see if you will likely be able to fulfill the experience requirement. If everything looks good, then you are good, go ahead 🙂

      Eventually, if you want to work in public accounting / CPA firm in NJ, then you might need to switch the license back to NJ. (if you work in corporate accounting, then doesn’t matter). It could be as simple as filling out a form, or as complicated as fulfilling the missing accounting credits. Because of this you might want to double check with NJ on that front as well. Regards, Stephanie

  • Ashok says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have a query for qualifying for doing the CAP. I live in India. I have 3 years Bachelor degree in commerce and Chartered accountancy course from Inida. I also did diploma in IFRS (one year certificate course) from ACCA, UK.

    I would like to know whether I would be eligible for doing the CPA. I have good amount of experience as well.

  • Qiao Lu (Cynthia) says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I have read all the posts here, they are very helpful for CPA candidates. I have a question for you please. I am resident of Arkansas now, thinking about moving to New York in near future.
    Question#1: if I passed all four exams and get a CPA license in Arkansas, how could I become a New York licensed CPA after I move to there? Can all four part credits be transferred in order to get a New York CPA license?
    Question#2: In fact, I already registered the exam in Arkansas currently ( I met the requirements), just for an example, if I take two of the exams in Arkansas and transfer the credits to New York after I pass them. Then, I will take the rest of two exams in New York, will I get a New York CPA license? Since I already registered the exam in Arkansas, when I do credits transfer to New York, do I need to register with New York State Board again?
    If you could give me any advise, it would be a great help.
    Thank you so much!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Cynthia, thanks for your note. I believe Arkansas is a state that follows the general 3E rule. If this is the case, you can either register there and plan to transfer your exam credits to NY at a later time, or if you are quite sure you will go to NY, simply register in NY direct. You can still take the exam physically in Arkansas if registered in New York.

      If you pick the exam credit route, it is best if you can check NY’s rule on the exam credit transfer. It should be info available on the NY state board of accountancy website. I also have some general info on exam credit transfer that you may find helpful:
      Cheers, Stephanie

  • Thuc says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    Thanks for all your posts, as you are a life-saver. I’ve been baffled by all the eligibility requirements for the past two days, browsing the internet!
    I have most of information I need now. Still I would like to ask again to confirm my circumstances, please!
    I hold an overseas four-year non-accounting (but related – Economics) bachelor degree. So it is highly probable that I will meet the 120-hour requirement, right? And to make up for accounting/business courses, my plan is to take Professional Accounting Prep Program with University of North Alabama. That should help me fulfill the educational requirements for most states?
    Thanks a heap for your advice!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Thuc,
      Sorry I missed your comment earlier. Yes you will likely have 120 credit hours with the 4-year degree. UNA course is a good choice, but not sure if they have enough choice for you to fulfill all the accounting credit hours. I guess it depends whether you have some existing ones. Anyway, not a difficult problem to solve in my opinion. Good luck and let me know if you have other quesitons! Stephanie

  • Tiffany says:

    Hello, I sincerely appreciate your complete information on this page. They are really helpful.

    I have finished my 3-year bachelor degree from the UK. I was planning to take the AICPA exam. Additionally, I only planned to obtain the AICPA certificate. But I realised that the requirement of sitting the exam is a bachelor degree with 120 credit hours.

    I prefer taking a postgraduate course after getting a CPA and gaining more work experience. Therefore, I was wondering, in this situation, whether I could only sit the exam with my 3-year bachelor degree and get a AICPA certificate?

    Millions thanks to your helps.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Tiffany,
      Thanks for your note. The issue is that you are not allow to take the exam with a 3-year degree. If you are very serious about the CPA exam, the best option is to take a master’s degree, preferably a 2 year one and relevant to CPA (accounting or tax), to fulfill both the degree and 150 credit hour requirement. Regards, Stephanie

  • Chetan says:

    Hi Stephanie
    I can’t believe I didn’t come across your website before. Any way here’s my story
    I am an associate member of cpa Australia and have missed the boat to complete my cpa professional exams within the 7 year period.
    How can I get a cpa license from US? Can this be done as an international student living in Australia?
    Can you suggest what should be my path to becoming a Cpa as family commitments are out of the way and time to focus on career now.
    Thank you in anticipation!

  • santosh kumar tiwari says:

    I am graduate in bba and i have done cma inter now i want to do cpa so please tell me all about cpa if there is any exemption also

  • Nisheeta Varma says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am aiming to pursue CPA course in USA, I am currently residing in Madison, WI. I am originally from India. I have a few questions with regards to the CPA application process and eligibility. I would be grateful if you could help me out on these:

    Do I clear the academic requirement/ 150 credit hours requirement for the CPA course in the State of Wisconsin(or any other state in US) with the following:


    3 year course in Bachelors in Commerce (Accounts Honors) from St. Xavier’s College in Ranchi, India.
    Cleared Level Two (out of three levels) of Chartered Accountancy from Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.

    Work experience:

    Full time internship (3.5 years) at Singhee Brothers, a partnership firm for Chartered Accountancy in india.
    Full time employee (1 year 3 months) at Singhee Brothers.
    Full time employee (1 year) at Association of Citizens for Accountable Governance, India.
    Full time employee (5 months) at Citizens Alliance Pvt Ltd (Citizens Group), India.

    Or, do I need to take additional courses to qualify? If yes, I would be grateful if you could suggest me details of such courses full time/ part time/ online courses in US to fulfill the academic / 150 hours requirement for CPA. Or, a reference contact detail whom I can contact to get these details.

  • Simon says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I am an Indian student pursuing CPA. I have Bcom with Distinction which is 120 credits according to WES. But this degree is only a three year degree. I am coming this year to the US to give CPA exam. On the WES website they have mentioned that BCOM with NAAC ACCREDITED A grade university equals 4 years of US education.
    Will I be eligible for H1b after giving CPA exam?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Simon, first of all, on H1B, I don’t cover visa questions but I am quite sure the answer is no. Normally candidates apply for a tourist visa to the US. As for how WES evaluates your education, I also notice what you mentioned but I am not sure if the state boards are still accept that. In other words, WES may still apply that to other purposes but may not be so for the CPA exam. It is best for you to double check with WES. Regards, Stephanie

  • Arisha says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I’m currently doing CA from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan and hopefully will be starting my articleship soon. Once I complete my CA, is it of any worth in California or any other state for that matter? Will I be eligible for CPA?
    If not, what options do I have in the U.S with just a Pakistani CA certificate in hand?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Arisha, I believe California may give you some accounting credit hours based on your CA but it really depends on individual cases, so I can’t generalize to give you a clear answer. But CA isn’t considered equivalent to a 4-year bachelor degree so you still need to work towards that (if you haven’t got it already). It’s the same case for other states, and most states actually won’t give any credits to your CA. Regards, Stephanie

  • Alina Tasleem says:

    I am a Pakistani, with a bachelors degree in business administration from turkey, metu. Does my degree allow me to be eligible to do cpa?
    I want to study cpa in the US however some other site said that it is not possible for international students to study in US (exception of a few). Is this true? And if so is there any loophole to it?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Alina, how long is your bachelor degree? The requirement is a 4-year degree and normally Pakistani doesn’t have that.
      It is actually not necessary to study for the CPA in the US. There are online courses available that you can take in your own country. I guess if you are relying on the CPA preparation to get the visa, then it is likely not counted. I can’t really answer visa questions (certainly not “loopholes”) but maybe that’s what you mean by “not possible for international to study in the US”. You can definitely apply for a university as an international student but it won’t be related to the CPA exam.

  • Mandeep says:

    I am compliance of in Indian universitie and then after I am gone Canada for co-op program in Canadian college .this program approvad by Canadian CPA so I am interested in given exam of us CPA so my co-op program is valid for U.S. CPA

  • Zakir Hussain says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Your explanations and information that you provided have been very useful to me but I still have a question. The thing is I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) with a specialization in Accounting and this constitutes 123 credit hours. I plan to do my CPA but instead of getting a masters degree, I am deciding to do ACCA. Will this make up the remaining credit hours I require to do the CPA?


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Zakir,
      Thanks for your note! For most states they don’t recognize ACCA at all but a few may recognize some accounting credit hours in varying degree. It’s hard to tell unless you get an evaluation report. In my opinion, you don’t need to get ACCA AND CPA. ACCA or CPA is fine, as the decision should be based on where you plan to work long term. For example, ACCA is virtually not recognized in the US, but it better if you work in the UK. Regards, Stephanie

      • Zakir Hussain says:

        Hi Stephanie,

        Thank you for your valuable reply. In terms of recognition of ACCA, I have read that its recognized worldwide. I am planning to settle down abroad and Australia is one of my options. Will ACCA be recognized there?

        Also, I have been advised that Cima is valuable nowadays so I should consider it. What’s your advise on this, ACCA or Cima?

        Sorry for asking you many questions but I am very confused at the moment.

        Zakir Hussain

        • Stephanie Ng says:

          Hi Zakir, yes, you can also see people defending ACCA as a worldwide qualification here in the comment sections of this website. I also highly respect ACCA, but it’s simply a fact that it is not really recognized in the US. You’d know if you live and work here.

          The reason is that in the US there is a local license called the CPA that gives holders the privilege to sign audit report based on US GAAP. ACCA holders can’t do that.

          With the same logic, if there are countries that grant ACCA holders the privilege to sign audit reports in their countries, then yes it would be well recognized. I don’t know enough about this but generally speaking, it is a good title to have in commonwealth countries. So Australia is technically included but do note that there are also CA Australia and CPA Australia there.

          CIMA is also in a similar situation in my opinion, but CIMA is more for management accounting. I only have CIMA vs CMA (US) but it gives you some useful stats there:

          Regards, Stephanie

          • Zakir Hussain says:

            Hi Stephanie,

            I am more attracted towards Cima. The reason is because it gives me the option of getting the membership of (CPA australia) or (CMA Canada) easily. This is the link I found, please go through it and let me know if I am correct. I don’t want to assume things.


            Furthermore, ACCA doesn’t seem well-known in Australia. I found this video, its very informative. At the 8th minute, he talks about ACCA and how its not supported in Australia.


            Can’t express how grateful I am for your help.

            Zakir Hussain

          • Stephanie Ng says:

            Good! I agree with you too. Glad you have a well researched answer and solution!
            Thanks also for sharing the youtube link. I will take a look now. Stephanie

  • Karen says:


    I got my 3 years degree in Hong Kong and with the Hong Kong Advanced level exam, I have 143 credit. My transcript has actually been evaluated by ECE and have confirmed that I have a US bachelor’s degree with major in accounting. Will I be eligible to sit for the exam in Arizona ?

    Thank you

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Karen, if your ECE report is done for the purpose of the CPA exam, then you are fine with the degree requirement and having at least 120 credit hours to take the exam (but still need to get the 7 remaining ones before your license), and you should be fine to go.

      If the report is done separately for other purposes, then please check with ECE. Hope it helps! Stephanie

  • Karen says:

    Thank you Stephanie.

  • Sourav says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Am an Indian student currently in my 3rd year in Bcom from HR College,MUMBAI (NAAC ‘A’ credited)….I would like to verify my future plans with you if possible. Am planning to do part I(one years masters in accounting) after completing my BCom to be eligible enough to sit for the exam. After that am planning to do Master Of Accountancy course from USA to satisfy the requirements required to get the CPA liscence.

    It would be very helpful if you could verify my plan and give any further advise required, to sit for the CPA exam and to get licence.

    Thanking you,


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Sourav, your plan sounds good, but can you go directly from BCom to Master of accountancy in the US? It might be due to the fact that BCOM is a 3 year degree and you need an extra year to get qualified for the US master’s? I am just thinking that you may be duplicating your time and efforts with two similar master’s. Regards, Stephanie

  • Ziyad says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am an Indian with BBM from Bangalore University and CMA from IMA-USA.
    Will CMA + BBM be counted for 4 year educational reqiurement.
    I have 2 years of experience in Corporate Finance-Pricing, should i get some auditing experience to get certified.

    Thanking you,

  • Ankita Malik says:


    I am a graduate from Delhi University (India) with 1.5 years of work experience as fraud analyst.
    I am thinking of pursuing pg diploma in business administration/ pg diploma in public accounting from distance education.
    Would this help me qualify eligibility requirements.
    I am aiming to appear for the Cpa exam before April ,2017, as I heard there are some proposed changes to the course applicable from this date( which would make the exam tougher).


    Ankita Malik

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Saritha, assuming your BCOM is a 3 year degree, it’s quite tough to get qualified at this stage. The diploma may or may not help because this is defined very differently in different countries and it’s hard for me to tell. If you have a transcript with a course description for that diploma, it may be counted at least as educational credits. Not sure if it can be considered part of a degree.

      Please read this for background info:

  • Raj says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Hope you are doing well,

    I am currently an international graduate student majoring in accounting (30 Credits) from New York. I have also been awarded ACCA membership with the 3 years degree of Oxford Brookes University. Also I have 2 year under-graduate B.Com from Pakistan. I submitted all my international credentials to NIES but unfortunately they disregarded my ACCA and Oxford Brookes University degree, they have only awarded me 61.75 semester credits for B.COM with the breakdown of accounting courses as under:

    Principle of Accounting U.S Credit 4.75 – listed under Financial Accounting Category
    Cost Accounting U.S Credit 4.75 – listed under Cost Accounting Category
    Business Taxation U.S Credit 4.75 – listed under Taxation Category
    Advance Accounting U.S Credit 4.75 – listed under Financial Accounting Category
    Auditing U.S Credit 4.75 – listed under External Audit and Attestation
    Total 23.75 credits.

    The evaluation does not mention that whether I am eligible to sit for CPA examination for new york state or not. I would greatly appreciate if you can guide me in this regard. Also I would like to mention that I am going to complete 30 more credits from graduate school (accounting major) this year in new york.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hello, it is better for you to call NIES and have them go through the report with you, but looks like you don’t have a bachelor degree if they don’t count Oxford Brookes? Unfortunately most state boards do see this as equivalent to ACCA and they don’t recognize professional qualifications as degrees. Do you have other bachelor degree? The grad degree in NY will certainly count as well. Regards, Stephanie

      • Raj says:

        Hi Stephanie,

        Thank you for your response,

        After completion of masters from NY do you think I will still be needing credits to sit for the exam considering my above mentioned available credits plus 30 credits from grad school from NY?

        • Stephanie Ng says:

          The master’s is certainly helpful and likely critical, but I can’t really comment without looking at your credentials, and anyway, since you have a professional who has just read and evaluate all your documents, it is much better to ask for their advice. Good luck! Stephanie

    • Imran Shahzad Roy says:

      HI Raj
      Kindly share, how much they award you credit hours for Economics? I also have B.Com from Punjab university. and now doing MBA executive (72 credit hours).

      Hi Stephanie,
      Kindly advise, will 2 year B.Com and 2 year MBA Executive (72 credit hours) be enough for exam sitting requirement for a state like Guam, New Hampshire, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine or Michigan??

      Thanking you.

  • Karin says:

    Thank you Stephanie

  • Mir Saif says:

    Dear Stephanie,

    After searching a lot and contacting so many people i.e. backers, nasba etc etc; I am still not being informed about whether I am eligible to sit for CPA exam or not. Please help !


    1. Masters (Economics – 2 years / 2012) – University of Karachi Pakistan; details of syllabus can be found at

    2. Graduation (Commerce – 2 years / 2009) – University of Karachi Pakistan; details of syllabus can be found at

    3. Certified Management Accountant – CMA / 2016 – Institute of Management Accountants USA

    4. Chartered Accountant – CA (One paper left) – Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan

    Professional Experience:

    a. 5 years of Audit & Assurance / Risk Consulting experience – Deloitte & Touche – Pakistan

    b. 1 year experience as Engagement Auditor- EY Middle East (Current Employment)

    Can you please help me out regarding which states I would be eligible to enroll for CPA.

    Thanking you in anticipation.


    Mir Saif

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Mir Saif, I am afraid I don’t offer consultancy work, but in general you should be fine with Master’s and bachelor degree.
      Once you narrow down your choices, I am happy to double check with you. The bottle neck is likely on the experience requirements and I have some tips on how you can pick your state board here:

      • Mir Saif says:

        Thank you Stephanie.

        Could you please inform me an estimate about how many credit hours would I be getting considering above (B.COM 2 years) + (MA Economics 2 years). Would I get 120 or not. After that I would be able to shortlist states to which I should apply.

        Regarding experience requirement I think I already have 6 years in Big 4, 5 years under supervision of CA and 1 year in EY middle east under supervision of CPA.

        Would be glad if you could give help me out.

        • Stephanie Ng says:

          Hi Mir, thanks for the sharing. Typically 2 years + 2 years = 120 credit hours (generally 30 credit hours per academic year). Based on that you do have 120 credit hours. But you may get more or less depending on whether you took it easy or took an accelerated course during those years, whether they are overlapped courses (they do not double count same type of courses taken twice), and whether they consider BCOM + M. Econ is equivalent to a 4-year degree.

          But in my opinion it has a good enough chance to invest on an evaluation report.

          Regarding the experience, it’s great that you have the 1 year in EY. It should be fully counted as long as your supervisor has a full CPA license, which I am quite sure given he/she works in a Big 4.

          Regards, Stephanie

  • Ayushi Patel says:

    Is it ohk if I pass 3 yrs of bcom and 2 yrs of MBA in HRM fields for CPA exam….??

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Ayushi, it is likely ok, but have a small risk given HRM is not exactly relevant to BCOM. But given this is packaged in an MBA I think you have a good enough chance. The state boards nowadays require 150 credit hours though, so you still need to make up for 30 more credit hours. This is equivalent to one year of study, but they accept non-degree courses for these 30 credit hours. Regards, Stephanie

  • BATOUL says:

    H i Stephanie
    I am from lebanon and I passed the 4 exams about year ago, i have an accounting bachelor degree 4 years , I have 131 credits (29 CREDIT HOURS ACCOUNTING AND 75 CREDIT HOURS BUSINESS) I contacted new Hampshire for cpa license and replied me that i am not qualified to get cpa license until complete the 150 credits.
    My question is :
    1- I have around 50 credit hours from a non accounting major (Graphic design) from an accredited university in lebanon, this credits can be qualify to complete the rest 19 credits hours requirements.
    2- Can a cpa certificate be get without fulfillment of education requirements, if yes how can I?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hello Batoul,

      On 1., it should work as long as you have transcripts showing the credit hours or equivalent.
      On 2., no, as fulfilling the requirement is a mandatory part of the process.

      Regards, Stephanie

  • Michael says:

    Hey Stephanie,
    Thank You very much for your helpful videos. What I want to ask you is that the ACEI asked me to send them a verified translated copy of my Masters Degree transcript that I got from Renmin University of China. They forwarded me to China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) to verify and translate it to English. I tried to create an account with CDGDC but their website is all in Chinese plus they are not picking up or responding to my emails. Do you know anything about CDGDC and how can I overcome this.


  • Shreyas says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am a CPA aspirant from India. Due to some personal commitments i m unable to pursue BCOM and MCOM in regular day colleges. I m considering to pursue BCOM and MCOM in evening degree colleges to fulfill 120 hrs of credit requirements. Are degrees from evening degree colleges condidered valid for gaining credits for CPA?

  • Rohan says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am a student from India.I am currently doing Bcom from a NAAC ‘A’ accredited college and planning to do Mcom for 1 year after that….will that be enough to meet the cpa requirements and sit for the exam?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Rohan, BCOM + MCOM (1 year) will give you an equivalent 4-year degree (120 credit hours) in the US, generally speaking. It is good enough to take the CPA exam for many states, but ultimately you need 150 credit hours to get the license. This means 1 extra year worth of courses. But for this extra 30 credit hours you can take non-degree courses. Hope it helps. Regards, Stephanie

      • ROHAN says:

        Hi Stephnie,

        Thanks for your advice….yes i am planning to do master in accountancy from usa after my mcom…will that make me eligable to get a liscence?…and if am a cpa holder with liscence will that be enough to get a job in usa..or is any additional degree required?..

        • Stephanie Ng says:

          Hi Rohan, yes most likely ok to fulfill the CPA exam requirements. To get the license, you need to fulfill the experience requirements.
          I can’t say a CPA license can guarantee a job. It most likely helps, but getting a job in the US goes beyond having a license. Firms value one’s previous experience (CV) and personality fit (interview). Hope it helps! Stephanie

  • Kathleen says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am planning to take the CPA exam in the Fall. I have all the requirements to take the test, however, I work in private accounting and my supervisor is a Chartered Accountant not a CPA. Will this prevent me from receiving my CPA? Or can a CA sign off on my work?

    Thank you,

  • Deb says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I did my Bachelor’s in Finance in Canada and currently have 18 credits of accounting courses. I am eligible to take the exam in Maine. From reading your previous posts, if I pass the exams but do not meet the experience requirements in Maine because of the 2 year public practice standard am I able to transfer to another state at that point. What would be the consequences of this? For me, I do not plan on working in public practice in the future.


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Deb, yes technically you can do that, but you need to fulfill the licensing requirements of the transferee state. So for example, if you want to eventually switch to Illinois, you still need to fulfill the IL requirements. So it doesn’t make much sense to go for Maine because it has a lower requirement as you’ll have to make up for it later.

      Obviously, if you can get the license within Maine’s rule, it’s perfectly fine. The bottom line is that the state boards don’t let us game the system. Another point on Maine is that you must have a social security number of get the license. I have readers who got their license revoked because they could not provide the SSN number when SSN became a mandatory requirement a couple of years ago. Regards, Stephanie

  • Gaone says:

    HI Stephanie,

    I am an ACCA member and also have a 4 year degree from Botswana (Southern Africa). Am i eligible to enrol into CPA? And if i can where can i sit for exams, is it possible to sit for an online while in Botswana?

  • Ranjith Narayan says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am from India. After school 10 years 1st grade to 10th grade), I did pre degree (commerce stream), then did (Bachelor of commerce) cost accounting was the main, then did (Master of commerce) Finance was the main.
    I have worked 4 years in India, 9 years in Saudi, 9 year in Canada now. I am working under a Canadian CPA, CA. He is not a US CAP.
    I am moving to Iowa soon. I have never worked in audit firm. I worked only in private companies.
    Given the above, can you please tell me which US state is best for me to pursue US CPA. I would like to get licensed and work.


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Ranjith, first of all your BCOM + MCOM should be fine with the degree and 150-hour requirement. There might be specific courses you may need to make up for depending which state boards you register, but this isn’t a major issue.

      As to which state you can pick, I would first try Iowa, because it is the best if you can register in your own state. Please check with the state board rep and see if they recognize “CPA equivalent” to verify your experience. Quite a few states are fine with that but I am not sure if Iowa does that. Typically CPA equivalent includes Canadian CAs.

      Let’s give this a try. We can always discuss afterwards. This is a complicated process so just take your time to slowly move forward. Don’t get overwhelmed and frustrated. Work on this one step at a time. Good luck! Stephanie

  • Sajid Nawaz says:

    I have done ( 2-year program) from a university in Pakistan, I hold Intermediate level Certificate in Chartered Accountancy (2-years) from the institute of chartered accountants of Pakistan, in addition to that I have completed first year of my master’s degree (MA economics) and couple of other short course certificates.
    I have a work experience of 3.5 years in an audit firm and work experience of almost two years in the field of finance.
    I am looking forward to do CPA in relation to that I am not sure about my eligibility.
    Kindly guide me.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Sajid, your BCOM + MA is basicaly 2 years + 1 year = 3 years or 90 credit hours.
      Typically you need 150 credit hours for the CPA exam.
      Leslie-Anne may be able to help and see if you can make sure of your 2-year CA from Pakistan. Please contact her for details. Regards, Stephanie

  • Khoi says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    Thanks for your information!

    I have got ACCA and Accounting bachelor degree in Vietnam. Could you advise any God State for accounting Job and any good University to study Master degree in order to increase my job opportunities. I plan study Accounting Master in University-of-Illinois-at-Urbana-Champaign, is it a good plan?

    Thank you so much,


  • Deven Satam. says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    I’m a hopeful International CPA Student. I recently graduated from one of the University of Mumbai’s NAAC ‘A’ Grade College with a 3 year degree in Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)

    I previously did my First and Second year of my from University of Pune. I migrated from University of Pune to University of Mumbai in my third year of my

    I’m planning to do my Masters (2 Year) from a NAAC ‘A’ Grade College from University of Mumbai.

    Additionally I am also pursuing CIMA professional qualification from CIMA, London.

    The ‘Migration from One University to Different University’ issue has become a bone of contention for my Education prerequisites to obtain the ambitious CPA license,

    It would be a great pleasure if you help me out.

    Thanks in advance.

    Note: Both the Universities are located in the same state in India.

  • Margaret says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have found your website to be incredibly helpful as I try to learn everything about becoming a CPA, so thank you for sharing all of this information! I just graduated from college in Virginia and moved to North Carolina. I believe NC requires me to have 30 accounting credits to sit for the CPA exam, but Virginia only requires 24, so that is what I have. What do you think would be the best way to go about taking the exam? Can I take the exam in Virginia since I fulfill their requirements, and still become licensed in NC, or should I just try to get the rest of the accounting credits and take the exam in NC?

    Thank you!


  • Matt says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Great site – thanks for the information. I am close to finalizing my exam, have 3 parts passed, waiting on a score for the 4th. Hopefully I’ll be done soon.

    I applied through VT in 2013, because at the time the education requirement was 120 hrs which is what I have completed. I’ve noticed that as of July 2014, they changed the requirement to 150 hrs. Once I pass all sections and ethics, will I be able to get my license or are they going to require me to get 30 more hours?

    Also, I live and want to practice in CT once I get my license. Do you have any insight on what will be required to do so? My plans are practice in CT for a while and move to VT in 10+ years.

    I’ve been working under a CPA for 5+ years.


  • Muhammad Sharique says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am really thankful to you for the video and information. My name is Muhammad and I am from Pakistan. I just have few questions regarding my CPA application:

    1) My first question relates to my educational requirements. I have completed a 2 Year Bachelors degree in Commerce from a university and a 2 Year Masters degree specifically in Economics from a same university. This adds upto 4 year degree. I also have Chartered Accountancy intermediate certificate and ACCA affiliation. Now my question is that whether I am eligible for CPA application based on my education?

    2) My second question is related to experience. I have a 4.5 years experience in field of AUDIT in a one of the BIG 4 AUDIT FIRM – KPMG. Can this experience be counted for obtaining CPA License?

    3) My third question is related to choosing a state. I read your page regarding 6 best states for international candidates and found it very useful. Now I want to ask that bases on my education and experience which state best suits me?

    4) My fourth question is related to examination center. I am planning to move to Saudi Arabia or UAE in near future. I heard that we can give CPA exam from some GCC states. Can I give my exam from UAE and Saudia?

    5) I am quite confused on how to start. Please guide me what to do first in order to apply for CPA examination. Should I send all my documents to a foreign credential agency for a foreign credential report and which agency should I choose? I am willing to pay $300-$350 and want immediate response. Also I would like to know from how many places should I get my documents attested before sending them to the agency?

    6) I am also concerned about practice. Is it necessary that the state we choose initially will be the only state in which we can practice in future? Is it possible that we initially select Virginia and later changed the state e.g. Alaska for practice?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Muhammad,
      On your questions:
      1. It’s hard to tell… if they see your master’s as progressive and related to your bachelor degree, then yes it’s fine. But since it is commerce and economics, I am not too sure. They tend not to count CA and ACCA as educational courses, so probably not as helpful. You will have to get an evaluation report to know for sure.
      2. If your supervisor in Big 4 is an active US licensee (shouldn’t be too hard to find I hope), then yes it helps a lot. You can get your experience verified right away.
      3. It really depends if they accept your Commerce + Econ as equivalent to a 4-year degree. If so, you should have quite a few choices.
      4. Sure. Most state boards participate in the international administration program. Notable exception is California. Just double check before you apply. You might want to check on the other restrictions:
      5. Please refer to this page for details:
      6. No you can practice anywhere but be careful who you work for, as the restriction is more on the qualification of your supervisor:
      Hope it helps!

  • Jogy Jacob says:

    Hi Stephanie
    i have completed my B.Com, MBA (Banking & Finance) from IGNOU and FRM (GRAP). I have more than 20 years of work experience in risk management in Banks. Please let me know, whether I can register for CPA.

    J Jacob

  • Rowena Bautista says:

    Hi Stephanie

    My course is Bachelor of Science in Accountancy for 5 years in the Philippines. I was part of the school’s 2nd batch of students that transitioned from 4-year to 5-year BS Accountancy program, do you think this may qualify me for the 150 credit units? I believe I may have to take extra course though on Federal taxation.

    Your website is really helpful thanks for sharing.

    Thanks in advance,
    Wena Bautista

  • YUSUF says:

    Hi stephanie.
    I have graduated Bcom in india and 3year Advance diploma of accounting from Ethiopia.
    I have more than 8 years experience in acoounting.
    I would like to apply CPA,
    Therefore, am I eligible or qualified of CPA.

  • joel Baral says:

    Hi I passed the exam, did my application for licensure and I am 6 2/3 semester units shorts. I spoke to the CA Board and they explained if I take Accounting Ethics or Accountants professional responsibility classes that would fulfill new 2017 Ethics requirements. What online schools would you recommend.

  • Maulik Shah says:

    I have completed B.COM(Regular) and M.COM(External). Is i’m qualify for US CPA?

  • Jess says:


    I graduated with a Bachelors in Accounting from Hong Kong, which was a 3 year program. Even though I have the minimum requirements for accounting/business courses, does this mean I’m not qualified to sit for the exam? If so, would a 1 years Masters in Accounting plus any credits I’m short taken at a community college allow me to sit for the exam? Do I need to complete all 150 credits before applying to take the exam, or upon completion of the Masters since I have the minimum education requirements? This is for the California CPA exam.

    Thanks for your help!

  • Sandra Ford says:

    I am originally from Australia and currently live in Texas – I have a Greencard. I completed my B.COM in Australia (graduated 1992) and also did my CPA in Australia (a long time ago!!!). I want to start working again and have had my BCOM degree evaluated by a transcript agency and it is, as you have eluded to, not considered a Bacherlor’s degree here in the USA. I did not realize this and perhaps I need to send in my CPA credentials also. I just don’t think any of your scenarios fit mine. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do next? Thanks in advance.

  • Sourav says:

    Hi stephanie….am from india…my college is NAAC ‘A’ credited…so they r giving me 120 credits for 3 yr degree…will my 3 yr BCOM degree be enough to sit for the cpa exam?

  • Anna says:

    Hello Stephanie.

    I am just in the beginning of my CPA journey so I find your web site really helpful 🙂
    I decided to apply through Washington State for both exam and license. However, I will probably be short of Accounting credits (especially upper division ones). Besides a bachelor of science (Economics) and MBA, I have an associate degree in business management with a lot of Bookkeeping credits. Therefore, I was wondering whether Bookkeeping credits can pass for Accounting credits. Do you have any information regarding that?

    Thanks in advance.

  • Walid Nabih says:

    Hi Stephen,

    your website is wonderful and useful ,

    I passed 4 parts CPA Exam Under Montana State , my Egyptian Education evaluated as 119 Credits only .
    actually as you mentioned in your website that the international student interested only with certificate not license .

    Can you please guide me for online accredited courses , as I was not able to select the proper coursed /university provided in links on NASBA Website.

    Thank You,

  • PRIYA says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    A big thank to you for inspiring and guiding so many people in fulfilling their dreams of becoming a CPA. I’ve been following your site for a while now and recently planning to submit my application to California Board Of Accountancy . I have completed my Bachelors degree and Master’s degree in Commerce from IGNOU, India. Could you tell me whether I would be eligible to sit for the CPA exam in California? I have gone through each of your articles in the site but got no case similar to me. It’d be great if you kindly give me an approximation of credit hours I am eligible to get through my above-mentioned qualifications.

    Thank you,

  • Autumn Diaz says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I am a current college student in Georgia and based on my research I must have 30 hours in upper level accounting. I have 3 hours for an accounting co-op would that count towards my 30 hour requirement? When I graduate I will have more than the required 150 hours. I am trying to figure out if I will need to take 1 additional Accounting course or if the co-op will count.

    Thank you,


  • Arooj says:

    Hey. I have been browsing through your blog throughout and this is the only place where comprehensive information regarding CPA is provided. Awesome job!

    Basically, I intend to move to USA after a year and do CPA so I want to plan my academics according to it’s requirements. So, I need to know if Bachelor in Business Studies will work or not. I mean everywhere it is mentioned about accounting and finance or commerce. The Bachelors in Business studies does have various specialization courses and I’ll choose accounting and finance definitely.

    Thanks in advance,

  • thulasi sekar says:

    This is S.Thulasi.I had completed B.Com 3 years and M.Com 2 years in Madurai Kamaraj University Tamilnadu, India.can I apply for cpa exam?

  • MA says:

    I am planning to pursue CPA through Alaska. I don’t have any bachelors Degree right now. I have started a 2 yrs Graduation program here and that would be completing by 2018.Also, i have referred the Alaska state board education requirement and their is one option which could help me in sitting for the CPA exam while in undergraduate program,

    “Sec. 08.04.150. Qualifications to take examination. A person is qualified to take the examination for certified public accountants if the person either

    (2) has met or is within 18 semester credit hours or 27 quarter credit hours of meeting the undergraduate
    educational requirements of AS 08.04.120 and has completed at least 15 semester hours or 22 quarter hours of
    accounting subjects”.

    Is it possible that i could sit for the exam in my 4th semester of 2 yr undergraduate program?

    Mohemmed Akkas-CMA

  • MA says:

    I am planning to pursue CPA through Alaska. I don’t have any bachelors Degree right now. I have started a 2 yrs Graduation program here and that would be completing by 2018.Also, i have referred the Alaska state board education requirement and their is one option which could help me in sitting for the CPA exam while in undergraduate program,

    “Sec. 08.04.150. Qualifications to take examination. A person is qualified to take the examination for certified public accountants if the person either

    (2) has met or is within 18 semester credit hours or 27 quarter credit hours of meeting the undergraduate
    educational requirements of AS 08.04.120 and has completed at least 15 semester hours or 22 quarter hours of
    accounting subjects”.

    Is it possible that i could sit for the exam in my 4th semester of 2 yr undergraduate program?

    Profound regards.

  • Andrew G says:

    Thanks for all your help here. I’m hoping you can help me as well!

    I went to school in Kansas and moved to Colorado upon graduation. The CO requirements are strict and I am missing a second Auditing class as well as Accounting ethics. These two classes will cost me approximately $4000. After speaking with CPA’s i was told that my best route would be to get my license in a state that i qualify for. I chose Iowa. I have passed my exams and now my current employer will not sign my experience because they believe it to be unethical.

    Iowa does not have a residency requirement and is considered “substantially equivelent” to Colorado. I read this as Iowa licenses should transfer to CO no problem and Iowa does not care where i reside.

    I am stuck here because I dont want to pay this money and I also feel as though i am being robbed. I will pay $4000 for some credits that I will never actually see.

    Any advice will be much appreciated!


  • Dianitte says:


    I want become an cpa (tax accountant)
    But I will be able to be a us resident in 8 years I m in CANADA now I want be go to university for tax accountant (cpa) I need to know if I will be able to use my tax accountant (cpa) in us

    Please reply



    I have an associate degree in from pakistan and also ACCA member what should i study further and to which state i should apply and as i am in pakistan how could i appear in exams and also get work expirence under cpa

  • Jide says:

    I have a B.SC of 4years duration in Accounting from a Nigerian University , and also a Qualified Member of the Institute of chatered Accountant of Nigeria. With 10 years Banking experience in Nigeria. Am I qualified for CPA in Michigan?

  • Jessica says:


    I have passed all 4 exams in CA with enough credit hours for the accounting and business related. I am planning to take the ethics and fraud courses in a community college to fulfill the ethic requirements. Could you please advise whether I have to get letter grades for these two courses or pass/no pass is fine too?

    In addition, I took some English writing courses in the community college, which were not transferable to a 4 year university. However, these English courses were shown on my official transcript of the community college. Do they count towards the total 150 credit hours?

    Please kindly advise. Thank you so much.

  • Marina says:

    I am interested in to apply to sit at CPA exam in WASHINGTON DC. I have 2 questions:

    1. Could you clarify if the 24 accounting courses (necessary to meet requirements) must be completed at at upper-division level or in any accredited US College? I have these courses from American River College (CA), accredited by The Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) (see
    Other 24 business courses I have from my foreign degree (see point #2).
    Do my 24 accounting courses and 24 business courses meet the requirements for sitting in the CPA exam? The “APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND FORMS FOR AN ACCOUNTANCY LICENSE IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA” does not include appropriate refinement.

    2. My Master Degree in Economics from overseas (156 hours) that evaluated by member of NACES ( It is Educational Perspectives, nfp. ( Does Board of Accountancy of Washington DC accept this company for evaluation services?

  • Satish says:

    I did my 3YBcom from India and would like to enrol for CPA.
    Please guide me from what stage I can enrol and other application details.
    Thanks n Regards,

  • Charlene says:

    Very good website full of good information! I graduated in 2006 with an associates in Business and a Bachelors in Accounting. I have over 16 years in taxation, only 7 years of that work experience
    was under an active CPA. I recently received my EA certification however my employer still doesn’t see it as much. I was hoping to get my CPA license, but now looking into the requirements for the CMA exam. NV is very strict on experience requirements for the CPA exam and I have been told my experience does not count. Now that I have been out of college for a while I am wondering if that will be an issue as well. If this is not a possibility for me I do not want to invest money. Going back to school is not an option right now since I am paying for my kid to go to college in the fall.

  • joseph gold says:

    I am about to graduate from FDU with a MS in accounting. However i have only 9 business credits.
    How do i get the additional business credits to sit for the CPA?

  • Hamza says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I’m from Pakistan and I’m doing MBA with major in Banking plus I’ve done CA inter(ICAP).
    I want to sit in CPA exam but these credit hours requirements are very confusing. I’ve read that blog for Pakistani candidates but couldn’t get that useful.
    If you’ve previously dealt with this type of situation of candidate kindly help me out.
    And please recommend me a state which is better for me in terms of Education and Experience requirements. I am not able to evaluate my transcripts because I haven’t completed my MBA degree yet.

    Thanks in advance.

  • Abu Dilu says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Could you please advise whether the following meets Credit hour requirement and Accounting & business requirements as I would like to pursue CPA?

    B.Com – India 3 year course
    M.Com – India 2 year course
    CMA – US Just completed

    Having work experience of about 18 years in accounting.

    Thank You,
    Abu Dilu

  • Israr says:

    Hi Abu Dilu,
    I got credit hours on basis of and CA qualification.

    If you are regular and, hopefully you will get eligibility.

    • Saddik says:

      Dear Israr,

      Thanks for your comments. Could you please tell me (if you dont mind) which state you opted. Presently located in UAE.


  • Israr says:

    I opted Alaska state.

  • Nidhi says:


    Im a qualified Company Secretary and did B. Com (3 year course) in India. I have worked for almost 14 years in India. Recently i have shifted to Texas, USA and am on H4 visa.

    I would like to pursue the CPA course. Kindly let me know the exact procedure and will i be able to clear off the credit hours requirement?


  • Taimoor Khan says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Can i eligible for the CPA exam ? what would be the best state for CPA registration ?
    Please find below my education and work experience.

    B.Com – 2 year course (Pakistan)
    M.Com – 2 year course (Pakistan)

    Having work experience of about 5 years in accounting and advisory consultancy

  • Yaw Antwi says:

    I hold a 3 year HND in Accounting and Bachelors in Accounting. I just moved you Georgia and looking at to start my CPA exams.

    What advice or directions will you recommends thanks in advance

  • Yaw Antwi says:

    I hold a 3 year HND in Accounting and Bachelors in Accounting. I just moved you Georgia and looking at to start my CPA exams.

    What advice or directions will you recommends thanks in advance

  • Jennifer says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    My husband and I are planning on moving to the states, I am a citiezen he is not. He has a bachelor’s in Business Administration as well as an MBA in the same. If we revalidate his professional title would je be eligible for the exam? The MBA and bachelor’s was obtained in Chile, the Master’s has ties to Babson College ( don’t know if this helps). Would he be eligible?

  • Bundhun Nazemine says:

    Hi Stéphanie

    Planning To move To Quebec. Is the Oxford brookes degree from Acca recognise at the Ministry of Immigration Québec


  • Sophie says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I am an international student with 140 credits from the US. I need additional 24 accounting credits but not sure I can sign up for all from UNA. I am aiming for CA and/or WI as I have less experience. Can u please guide me if I’m on the right track? Actually Leslie-ann wasn’t very responsive but may be because I’m not enrolled with CPAWiley. I really want to get started on course work. How do I find out if CA or WI will accept all accounting courses from UNA? I cannot take classes in person as I live abroad and looking for cheapest options. I assume that CS 1 and 2, probability and stats, as well as other math classes I took fulfill the 24 hour business requirements.

  • Avery says:

    I am glad I found this page as I am feeling slightly discouraged. I am currently halfway finished with BS in Accounting and forensic and fraud investigation. I would like to work for law enforcement agencies or banks checking for fraud. I want to get my CPA license in Georgia. My issue is that my school is not acredited by the Georgia Board of Accountancy. Does this mean I won’t be able to get my CPA? Will I have to get an additional Bach degree in order to apply? I have read the rules several times and have not been able to find a solid answer on how I would approach this problem.

  • Aditya says:

    Hi Stephanie! I have been reading your articles on CPA and CMA. I am an Indian Chartered Accountant (CA) in Public Practice and I have also completed ACCA (from UK) and Company Secretaryship (I’m also due to write my CMA US Exam) . I intend to pursue CPA since I want to specialize in Global Reporting Framework and International Taxation. Does any state board consider 3 professional qualifications (with 3 years of Internship and 2 years of Public Practice as Experience in Accounting, Auditing, Finance, Taxation and Consultancy) in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree?
    I know this is a very peculiar situation of not holding a Bachelors but having 3 professional qualifications, it is pretty common in India since we are permitted to pursue Professional qualifications directly by clearing an Entrance Examination.
    Thanks a Lot

  • Lamiah faizal says:

    I’m currently pursuing cma usa with bcom in india and i want to pursue cpa usa after that. is iam eligible for cpa usa ?

    • Meghan D says:

      Hello, please read through the requirements on this page. A bcom will only get you about 90 credit hours and you’ll need 150. Also, the CMA doesn’t count toward educational credits for CPA US.

  • >