Accounting Credits for CPA Exam: My Recommended Courses

credits for cpa

Do you need extra accounting credits for CPA exam? How to make up to the 150 semester hour requirement? Here are a few tested and proven ways that work.

CPA Requirements: An Overview

Most State Boards require candidates to fulfill 150 credit hours. For a typical bachelor degree holder, this means 30 credit hours of extra courses is necessary.

The good news is that you have much flexibility to get this done: courses from a regionally accredited college, university and other educational institutions are all fine. It can be online / long-distance or on campus.

I discuss the definition and updates of the 150 credit hour requirement here. For practical ways to get the credits done, here are my suggestions.

1. Credits for CPA exam via Local Community Colleges

If you live in the US and prefer a classroom setting, the nearby community colleges is a good choice.


  • Traditional Classroom Setting. You may prefer the traditional on-campus instruction to online courses.
  • Big Saving. Most community colleges offer substantial saving to 4-year conventional colleges.
  • Extra Benefits. Get the perks such as the library, the athletic facilities and other activities.


  • Inflexible. It’s hard to attend the courses if you have busy schedule.
  • Do not offer bachelor / masters degree. If you are aiming for getting a bachelor degree, then you shouldn’t go through community colleges (which gives out associate degrees). Credit transfer is possible if the college has an articulation agreement but it takes more time, money and effort.


  • A few state boards (e.g. Louisiana, Nebraska) do not accept courses from community colleges unless the credits are transferred to 4-year college.
  • Some states (e.g. New York) accept non-accounting courses you take from community colleges but for core accounting and audit courses they have to be taken in a 4-year universities.
  • Correspondence courses from non-US universities (which is likely non-regionally accredited) may or may not be counted. Please check with state board or your evaluator on how this applies to your situation.

2. Credits for CPA Exam via CLEP

This option is available to US candidates only.

CLEP is a credit-by-examination program that can potentially save you a lot of money. Most state boards accept CLEP credits as long as you took actual classes at the same school that accept the CLEP credits. The school awards you the credits for the class. You can’t submit your CLEP results directly to the board.

Since the rules of CLEP acceptance is different in different states, I cannot provide a more specific suggestion. Please contact your state board for details.

3. Credits for CPA exam via Local Colleges and Universities

If you are aiming for a Masters degree program to fulfill the CPA exam requirements, I encourage you to explore nearby universities.

They won’t be as affordable as community colleges but their programs will most likely be recognized by the state board. It’s worthwhile to check but they may have evening classes or even online courses that give out the same credit.

How To Pick The Best Program

Here are some suggestions for your research on the local universities:

  • Check out the flexibility. As most of you have work and/or family commitment, it is very important to find a school that meets your lifestyle. For example, do they offer evening classes? What is the attendance policy?
  • Compare the price. Your goal is to get the credits, not access to a state-of-the-art library in expensive colleges. Tuition fee can vary greatly depending on the facilities. You can also see if you can qualify for any scholarships or financial assistance.
  • Arrange a campus visit. It’s always good to get feel of the campus by going on a tour. Check out the class size, the professors and teaching style, as well as the facilities around the campus
  • Gather feedback: Do you know anyone who took courses at the school? Do they have a positive, and more importantly, any negative experience that you should be aware of?

4. Get an Extra Degree

There is always an option to get an extra master’s degree in related field, especially if you lack a lot of accounting credits. After all, 30 credit hour is one full year of education.

The consideration for choosing a master’s program is different from choosing non-degree classes. For master’s, it is best to have your long-term goal in mind. In other words, the subject you take is something you are interested in and will be value-add to your future career.

Also, the school should ideally have a good career service program. This will help immensely in the future when you attend campus fairs and on-campus interviews. I have more information on accounting career development in this website.

Bottom Line

There are two levels of qualifications you need to fulfill for the CPA exam. The first one is the “degree” eligibility and the other one is the number of credit hours required.

If you don’t have a 4-year bachelor degree or equivalent, there isn’t a way to work around it and you have to get an additional degree that is 4 years at a minimum. The easiest solution is to get a 2-year master’s degree.

But if you have a 4-year degree but not the full 150 credit hours requirement, then things are easier because you can choose to get the extra degree, or to save money, simply take non-degree courses.

I Need Specific Tax and Accounting Credits. Can You Help?

For federal taxation courses, I have a related post here.

For general courses in accounting and auditing courses, I have this recommendation:

UNA Professional Accounting Prep Program (Online)

  • Each course is counted for 3 credit hours for US$540.
  • These are all upper-division courses and are designed specifically for students to make up for the 150 credit hours.
  • The course titles are specific, e.g. US GAAS, federal taxation so you can get specific requirement fulfilled.
  • You can work on your own pace (but need to wait till the end of the semester to get the transcript). If you need guidance on which courses to take for your specific state, Program Direct Matthew from UNA should be able to help you.
  • These courses are eligible for Lifetime Learning Credit.

Note: As far as I know, the UNA courses are not recognized by New York and New Hampshire state boards. The other state boards are likely okay. Please double check before proceeding.

Some insights from a student and CPA candidate:

I did 5 classes. No complaints. I took the 2 taxation classes, business law, audit, and the first financial reporting class.

The quizzes are T or F and as I recall they were all around 20 questions. They went quickly and are timed and mostly around 30 minutes. You can use your materials to answer them, but if you aren’t familiar with the material before taking the quiz that won’t be enough time to find all the answers, or at least that was my experience. The tests were like 30 questions, more like CPA exam format and timed at 2 hours usually. Some of the courses allowed less time and that made it harder to look up answers.

I was 16 units short and I’m so glad I found this option.”


How to Sign Up?

UNA runs this program in partnership with Wiley.

You can click here, scroll down to the “Academic Credit” section, and click on the UNA image link.

What if I can’t get enough credits to become a CPA?

There are other accounting certifications you may want to pursue. Most other accounting certifications and designations do not have a 150 credit hour requirement and have lower barriers to entry. You can learn all about these other designations at my course guide.




About the Author Stephanie Ng

I am the author of How to Pass The CPA Exam (published by Wiley) and the publisher of this and several accounting professional exam prep sites

follow me on:
  • Urbhi Sharma says:

    Hey Stephanie,

    Thank you so much for the newsletter, they are of great help!!

    I wanted a suggestion from you… I have recently moved to USA (Maryland) on immigration visa ,will be getting my SSN soon, i have done my B.COM from India and CA till inter level (i have my CA final exams this november, but as i had to come to USA due to my immigration visa, i am dropping the idea of going back and giving the finals because eventually i want to go for CPA, and CA anyhow wont be of much use for the same)

    Now,i subscribed for wileycpa excel course and i came to know from Leslie that with my i would only be eligible for Alaska state, through WES. Now, Alaska’s license requirements are like 4 years of experience and 150 credit hours .

    I am in a great confusion that shouls i go for alaska state option or the other alternative that i see now is to get 1 year masters in accounting or so from a university(i read that University of Maryland provides with Masters in accounting which would be like 36 credit hours) and go for Virginia state License (its near to Maryland as well). The time i finish my masters i would go for CPA exams and then another 1 year of study (it would all be then 150 credit hours) and side by side i would go for a 1 year experience with a CPA. Master’s degree would eventually help me in better job also.

    I am really in need of your advice Stephanie, (because i am really doubtful about the Alaska option). What would you guide me in this situation?

    Waiting for your reply.
    Thanks & Regards,

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Urbhi,
      Thanks for your note. I think Alaska should work if that’s what Leslie-Anne suggested, don’t worry. The only thing to check though is whether you are able to fulfill Alaska’s experience requirement, because Leslie-Anne doesn’t know your future plan.

      As you said, if you are to take a master’s degree, it will open more options for you. If you are to live in Maryland for at least a few years, I agree that taking a master’s and then register for CPA exam in Maryland is a logical choice. University of Maryland has a good career placement center I believe and this will help you a lot in securing a job.

      Why don’t you go for that? You have plenty of time to do this properly, one step at a time 🙂

      • Urbhi Sharma says:

        Thank you so much Stephanie, hearing from you gives me a lot of satisfaction. 🙂

        Yes, I am going for Masters in Accounting & Financial Management in University of Maryland first and then i will go for CPA exams. As you said One at a time 🙂

        Still thank you so much and keep up the good work .

    • Lubna Naqvi says:


      I am a BCOM graduate from India and have an executive MBA degree in Marketing from Dubai. Do I qualify for the 150 hour credit and can apply for CPA exam ?

  • Jewel says:

    hello Stephanie!
    Thanks for the articles first of all!!
    Its very helpful for me to get an information to get ready for the exam.

    By the way i have studied hotel mgt for a year in the phillipines and transferred to australia,completed my double majors (accounting and hotel mgt)for 3.5 years.
    So literally i have studied for 4.5years!
    Would it fulfill 150hours education requirement? What do you think?
    Since i have two babies to take care of.i really want to save my time and money 😉

    Waiting for your reply
    many thanks!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hello Jewel, I see, thanks for sharing! It’s so inspiring to see young mothers going for the exam. Yes you should be fine with the 150 credit hour reuquirement. Since it is a double major, might want to check if you have enough accounting credit hours. The application process is quite complicated, just work on each item one step at a time! Stephanie

  • Rose says:

    Hi I just want to know your opinion on Thomas Edison State College. Is it a good program to fulfill my accounting courses for the CPA exam?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Sorry Rose, never heard of it. It might be great though… I just don’t (can’t) evaluate each individual college because instructors come and go and this has directly impact on the quality of the course. If the main purpose is to fulfill the requirements, then you can double check with the school. Good luck! Regards, Stephanie

  • Sv says:


    I have a four year bachelor degree in finance with 124 credits credits. I have completed my 4 parts of the cpa exam from Alaska. Would you know: 1. If these credits have an expriy date? Is that for alaska only? Could i transfer my credit else where to keep it from expiring? 2. With my current details, do i qualify to apply for an active or inactive license in any state that doesnt require residency? I have been going through various material to understand and close this matter – probably more that what i had to go through to pass the exams! Your support would be of great help. Thanks.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Yes, I completely understand. Figuring out the rules is more work than the studying itself. My site is created precisely because I had spent so much time myself for my own CPA journey.

      For Alaska, I don’t think there is an expiry date as long as you take the exam within US jurisdiction (i.e. not in Middle East and other non-US sites). I am not 100% sure though, so please double check with Alaska State Board.

      There are two states with restricted license: Guam and Massachusetts. I don’t think you are qualified without an accounting degree or a master’s degree though.

      Without knowing further I suggest you check whether you can get a full license from Alaska. It’s the least risky thing to do in my opinion. Regards, Stephanie

  • Jasmin Kaur says:

    Hi! I have dome my B. Com (Hons) from India, And i am a Chartered Accountant from India. I have cleared my CFA level 1 also. Can you please suggest my eligibility to appear for CPA exams. Thanks

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Jasmin, if you can’t make a decision based on the above information, please contact Leslie-Anne and she can help you. Otherwise, if you have more specific questions, I can help you out. Regards, Stephanie

  • Sarah says:

    I am in the process of taking the CPA exam in Iowa. I have 137 credit hours and a Bachelor’s degree in accounting and I work full time at a public accounting firm. Here’s my question: Once I pass all 4 parts of the exam, is there a time limit to get my remaining 13 hours?

    I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere! Thank you!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Sarah,
      There isn’t such deadline for most states. I also don’t remember seeing that in Iowa so most likely there is no time limit. To make sure you can send an email to Iowa state board to confirm. Cheers, Stephanie

  • Teagan says:

    I currently have an undergraduate degree in accounting. I have completed 9 credit hours of a masters program at a local university. However, I am wanting to finish my remaining credits online, but my current credits might not transfer. Even if my credits don’t transfer, can I still count these 9 credit hours toward my extra 30 and then complete the remaining 21 through and online university,or do they all have to come from the same institution? I appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Sure you can Teagan. The courses don’t need to part of a degree program, and it can be ad hoc and from different institution. As long as you have a transcript to proof that you have done a certain number of credit hours, it should be ok. Regards, Stephanie

  • Dealan says:


    I’m currently almost finished with my undergraduate degree, which I obtained in NJ. I’ll be finishing up this December with 152 credits. I’m about to start work at a public accounting firm in NY in June 2016, but they require me to have 150 educational requirements for NY. I was just wondering if you knew what would be the best way to check whether my 152 credits actually fulfills the NY requirements, and if they don’t, what would be my next course of action? I appreciate any advice, information, and feedback. Thank you!


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Dealan,
      The NASBA’s page on NY lists out the educational requirements:
      I think they are quite typical but take note on the communications and ethics class. In case you need to make up for classes, please note that NY does NOT count community college courses for the “core” subjects, e.g. audit and financial accounting. This is more restrictive then most other states.

      Alternatively, you can check with the Society of CPAs in New York can help. Good luck! Stephanie

      • Dealan says:

        Hi Stephanie,

        Thank you so much!!! If I have any more questions regarding my situation, could I continue to reach out to you?


  • Nezih Bhamani says:


    I have finished my MBA in Finance and MIS in GA. I have 15+ years Accounting experience in US. I would like to take the CPA exam but my undergraduate degree is from Turkey in English Language and Literature. My credits during my MBA is enough for taking the CPA? I have my Masters degree transcripts but I do not know if I should total the GPA hours or credits to come up with the 150 hour requirement.

    Should I submit the NASBA Advisory evaluation before applying for the CPA part I? Also, last 5 years I reported directly to a CPA, does it help along with experience? I am an accounting manager.


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Nezih, thanks for your note. I have a good feeling that you are fine. But since your MBA concentration is finance, please check to see if you have enough accounting credits. You might want to check out these states that require fewer accounting courses. It’s great that you work under a CPA. That’s important because normally for states that don’t need that much accounting, they do have slightly stricter rule in experience. Regards, Stephanie

  • Joanna says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have a three year Economics degree from Canada and 8 Accounting courses from University of Alabama (at your suggestion) as well as 12 from other colleges.

    My problem is I have the courses but my degree is 3 years. Is there anyway I can combine these courses to get a 4 year degree? The Accounting Board will not accept a three year degree.

    Thanking you in Advance

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Joanna, that’s right… you can combine the course but they have to be degree course though. Once you hit the 4 year, the rest of the 30 credit hours can be non-degree. Regards, Stephanie

  • Douglas Jimenez says:

    Hi my is Douglas JImenez from El Salvador. I have a bachelor’s degree in accounting. All my transcripts has already been evaluated for NIES (NASBA). They told me that I Comply with almost everything except for 2 courses and told me this “You will need a course in Accounting Systems and Controls, and a course in US Federal Taxation for both examination and licensing in Michigan jurisdiction.”

    I need to know your opinion about this, please. I need to know where can I take these courses? I have F-1 VISA, however I can not take a non-academic courses in U.S with these visa according to immigration regulation. What can I do for taking this courses?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Douglas, can you take these as non-degree courses offered at your university? Or other accredited educational institutions that offered such courses. I thought those would still considered academic.

      The other option is to try other states. But you only lack 2 courses, I would try to explore this further and get them done. Regards, Stephanie

  • Demi says:


    I have finished my BBA in Accounting from Canada. For some reasons, I do not perfer to take master degree. In order to fulfill the 150 credits, can I take another diploma in Accounting? Or is it better to take double majors? Thanks

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Demi, sure, you actually don’t need a master’s degree. Simply take some non-degree courses to reach the 150 hour requirement. People are taking intro to Golf and foreign language classes for that. As long as you get a proof showing you take the designed number of credit hours, it is ok.

  • Liana says:


    I have a 3 year Bachelor degree from Canada, as well as 2 year CEGEP (equivalent to community college in the U.S.). My degree is not related to Accounting, but I have taken a few business courses in University.

    As I understand, can I combine my 3 year + 2 year higher education (Bachelor + Community college) in order to qualify for the 4 year University degree? My community college degree is in liberal arts and I have a Bachelor of Arts.

    I know I will have a long way to go to qualify for the CPA exam. I will be taking accounting courses here in the U.S., but would like to do so online so I can work. Are there any online university that you recommend? I heard of University of San Diego Extension, Accounting Certificate offers 9 courses (36 quarter credits) that helps in qualifying for the CPA exam as well as other recommended courses.

    Do you think this is the right path for me to qualify? Also, do I have to get work experience before taking the CPA exam or can I get it after?


  • Liana says:

    Me again.
    Also, do you know if in the state of California they accept accounting and business credits from local community college? I was thinking about doing it at University of California, San Diego (extension), but it might be a cheaper option to do it at a local community college (they have online courses too!).

    Ex. I will be taking Financial accounting in Spring 2016.

  • Ayana D. says:

    Hi, Stephanie
    Thank you for your article. I could get information about Wileycpaexcel from it.
    I want to start these courses as soon as possible.
    But I have concern – will NASBA accept these 24 credits for me to be eligible to pass CPA exams?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Ayana, if you aren’t a graduate of a US accounting program and not sure whether your education fits in the requirements, you should definitely try applying and get the approval first before getting the courses.

      If you graduated from outside of the US, you can apply for a foreign credential evaluation and know for sure whether they accept your 24 credit hours. More info here:

  • Garima Khanna says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    This was a great article. I need some help urgently. I have a Chartered Accountancy from India and NASBA evaluated it only for 70 credits. What as per you would be the earliest way to complete rest 50 credits? Thanks

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Garima, generally 30 credits = 1 year of studying, so you might as well take a 2 years masters if you are really serious about the CPA exam? There isn’t much fast track for this one unfortunately, but you may seek Leslie-Anne’s advice as she has helped a lot of BCOM + CA. Regards, Stephanie

  • Chase D. says:

    Hi! I read this article but I was wondering how we can find out which specific classes to take for the accounting course requirement.

    Also, right now I am unsure of which state I would like to be licensed in. Do I need to figure that out before I start taking the CPA exam?

  • Alison Chey says:

    Hi Stephanie, thank you for posting your articles. I found a lot of necessary information about cpa exam preparation & license from your site.

    I have 3 questions that are not sure about. I have a BA degree, major in accounting and have total 128 semester units. In order to qualify for cpa license, I still need get additional 22 units.
    1. Will they approve as additional units toward to 150 units if I will get the same accounting courses that I have done already in BA degree? My purpose is to get update for advance accounting & auditing courses before taking exam.
    2. Currently I own a tax & accounting firm and I formed my company since 5 years ago and used to work as an accountant for a non profit org. For 10 years…. do you think I can apply these experiences toward general experience for ca cpa license.
    3. Im also taking EA exams and if I pass all 3 tests and become a active irs enrolled agent..can I apply any of these tax courses toward to 150 units? I’m taking self study tax courses online.

    Thank you in advance for your response! Alison

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Alison,
      Thanks for your note! On your questions:
      1. I don’t think they count duplicate courses. If you can prove that they are different / progress, e.g. advanced financial accounting vs the intermediate financial accounting that you took before, it’s fine.
      2. It depends on the state board, but I’ve known a reader whose self-employed experience got approved. But it is best to check with the state board in advance. If it doesn’t work, you may want to check out the other state boards.
      3. If your online tax courses are taken in an accredited university, it should be counted; but if it is from commercial providers, it cannot.

      Hope it helps! Stephanie

  • H Malik says:

    Dear Stephanie,

    I read your blogs online and learnt a lot about accounting in US. I am planning to do CPA in US. I have BSc Hons in applied accounting from Oxford brooks UK, MBA in finance management again from UK and passed ACCA certification (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants). I would appreciate if you can advise me whether I would be able to qualify for CPA exam/licence based on my qualifications. I am little confused hoping you would be able to help.


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Malik, with your 3-year degree and MBA, it should be fine to fulfill the requirements, but you still need the evaluation report to make sure of this as well as to see if you have enough accounting credits. Regards, Stephanie

  • Mohamed says:

    Hi Stephanie , Thanks for the help , I have question, i graduated from egypt and I’m now here in the US , I have work authorization and temporary ssn valid with the work authorization, can u give me an advise with which board i can register for cpa because I’m so confuse and my credit should be 120 and i want to know about active and inactive license .

  • Dan says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am a member of Chartered Management Accountants ( CIMA- UK) and Certified General Accountants (CGA- Canada) with 15 plus years public accounting experience and resident of Canada. What is the best route to get US CPA?

  • John says:

    Hi Stephanie, thank you for sharing your knowledge in the article. I have a question that I want to ask as a CPA candidate.

    I completed Bachelor’s degree with Finance in 4-year college in Maryland and I am trying to take more classes in community college to complete 150 credit hours. I took a taxation class in 4-year college. Can I take another tax class in community college to fulfill accounting credit hours even if the class material is similar? For instance, I took Federal Taxation of Individual Class in 4-year college and then can I take Tax Accounting Class in community college? I hope one of the two classes can be listed in Other Accounting Courses. Please reply to this massage. Thank you.

    John Park

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi John, I understand that at least some state boards don’t accept duplicate courses even if they are from different schools, so it is best to double check with Maryland state board first. Regards, Stephanie

  • Craig says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Great post! I am a recent graduate here with my 120 credits with my bachelors in accounting. I work at a public accounting firm and for me to move up, I need my CPA. Do you recommended a masters in accounting over just taking non degree classes? If I took non degree classes I could potentially add a management minor onto my existing bachelors. I have heard that the Becker review course would help anyone pass the exams if they studied enough and that a masters isn’t necessary. What are your thoughts? To go back and take ten easy classes or take the masters program? I am stuck in a decision here. Thanks!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Craig, thanks for your note. I don’t think you need a master’s unless you think that would help in your career. Generally, for the purpose of the CPA exam, the extra courses to fulfill the requirement is good enough.

      I personally don’t think Becker is better or worse than other providers in terms of helping people to pass the exam. It can’t help just anyone who wants to pass, but they do have good lecture notes and course. But you are right that you don’t need to take a masters to prepare for this exam. Hope it helps! Stephanie

  • yousef says:

    im international student . when i start prepare to cpa license i apply to Colorado and it was required 120 hour to get the license and i meet all requirement to start the exam and get license .because is face some difficult condition i cant finish all exam in 2015 . i have 120 hour credit and they up it to 150 hour for license . i passed some exam and still some of them . please tell me what is the solution for international student to have 150 hour to get the license when finish all exam . i live out side of usa .

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Yousef, I believe you can take 30 credit hours of anything from an accredited university (or local university and then get an evaluation report). It really can be anything assuming that you have fulfilled the minimum accounting credit hours.

  • Christopher Grant says:

    I am a jamaican who is interested in doing CPA in Canada what is the first step I need to do. I have a bachelor’s degree in finance and banking at a four year university in Jamaica.

  • Andreas says:

    Quick question as I am in the process of having my German credentials evaluated and expecting beiing under 150.

    In the extreme circumstance that I need 24 credits and I choose to get these with UNA, am I fit enough to sit for the exam right away or do I have to spent another 1,800 for the CPA course materials in addtion to that?


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Andreas, I have to say those courses aren’t exactly for CPA exam prep (they help for sure, but not tailor to the exam itself) so yes you do need to set aside the budget for some sort of review materials. You can get a Wiley book + test bank if preferred, much cheaper than $1,800, but those full review courses sell well for good reasons 🙂

  • Steven Yashuk says:

    I had 78 credits when I left St. Louis Community College (only 64 were counted towards my Associates) and after my BSA (Bachelor of Science in Accounting) I’ll have 60 more credits. Do the 14 credits, that did not count towards either degree, count towards the 150 credit requirement? I’ll receive a total of 24 accounting credits after my BSA. If the 14 count I’ll have 138 credits. I can minor in IS (Information Systems) to make up for the 12 credits and I was told IS looks very good to accounting firms. The Missouri Board of Accountancy is a bit slow to return my email, which is understandable. St. Louis Community College and its campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Thank you.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Steven, I think that should be counted, because once you have the 4-year bachelor, the extra credits required can be from non-degree courses as long as they are from an accredited educational institution. Hope you get the same info from the state board. Cheers, Stephanie

  • Venkat Kaki says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    Let me express my heartfelt thanks to you for providing most helpful information about CPA exam and license, especially for students from India like me. I passed 4 parts of CPA exam from Maine state in Aug 2015. Currently I’m living in FL and working in a public accounting company in FL. I want to get my license from Florida state by transfer of credits from Maine. I have more than 150 semester hours including required Accounting and Business hours as per FL license requirements. However FL General business law hours include contact law and uniform commercial code. I studied Indian contract act and Indian uniform commercial code. I’m clueless whether they can be considered equivalent to US Contract act and US uniform commercial code or not. Further they say that excess accounting hours can be used to meet business hours. So can I use my excess accounting hours for this purpose ? If not what courses I need to take to get those hours. Can you please help me out of this

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Venkat,
      Thanks for your note! I am not that familiar with FL rules because people don’t pick FL unless they live there, but based on my summary page, my understanding is similar to yours.

      I remember a clause saying that “Intermediate/advanced accounting courses can be used to meet business course requirement.” However, at the same time, it requires “6 credit hours of business law; must include contracts, torts, and the Uniform Commercial Code.”

      So sounds like business law could be a strictly required course in the requirement. Anyway, it’s worth checking with the FL state board and see if it works. It helps if you can include a course description of your Indian business law for their consideration.

      If not, you can check out whether the local community college or online courses offer such credit hours. I am sure they do, but let’s check with the state board and see they are fine with whatever you have right now. Let me know how it goes. Best of luck! Stephanie

      • Venkat says:

        Hi Stephanie,
        Thanks a lot. Can I bother you with few more doubts ?
        1) Its risky to transfer credits to FL before getting requirements clearance from FL right ? can u please explain the risk involved
        2) Do I need to submit an official credits evaluation report for FL when I contact them with my requirements doubts ?
        3)Suppose if I don’t fulfil the business law requirement, I would look for other state where one year experience and my present educational credits are sufficient to meet license requirements. Can u please suggest which states are more preferable ? ( Maine requires 2 years work experience and I want to get license ASAP)


        • Stephanie Ng says:

          Hi Venkat,
          1. Somewhat risky in my opinion, so that’s why you have to plan ahead get the green light in advance. Please read this article for more details:

          2. If you are asking someone to give an opinion, I would think the more information the better.

          3. Can’t really give you an answer without knowing more on what you have taken etc. But I have to say I don’t have the time and expertise to provide such free consultation. For further assistance please ask for the help of Leslie-Anne as mentioned above.

          Best of luck! Stephanie

          • Venkat says:

            Hi Stephanie
            Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate your patience and time.
            I got one more query please,
            -is it possible to transfer back credits to Maine if it is found later that I’m not eligible for FL license and exam ?
            ( I got a reply from FL state board saying that eligibility can only be decided by the Board of Accountancy during official application processing )
            I could not find information on ‘ transfer back of credits’ anywhere
            Please guide me through


          • Stephanie Ng says:

            Hi Venkat, I would think that if FL doesn’t accept the transfer, it means that the credits will remain in Maine. But it is best to double check with them — they can’t tell you the outcome but should be able to clarify the process. I don’t think people write down such specifics but they should be able to tell you how they interpret their own rules. Best of luck! Stephanie

  • Lucas says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Reading through your responses and seems to be great info! I am graduating state university of New York at Plattsburgh this May with 123 credits and a bachelors in accounting. I am thinking about returning to my university for another semester to take 7 classes thus having 144 credits, only having to take a couple classes over the summer at a local community college to finish at 150. Would I be qualified to take a section of the CPA exam upon graduating this may although I would be enrolled to return again this upcoming fall semester? What is your opinion on taking a section of the CPA upon graduation in the summer, specifically FAR b/c I took a review course at my university through Gleim, while then returning in the fall towards completion of 150 credits. Once finishing the fall semester, I would have roughly 12 months to finish the remaining 3 sections. This is all hypothetical, but does it seem like a realistic plan? I am planning on returning to university for 1 additional semester because of the cost savings compared to a masters program.

  • K.Saai vighnesh says:

    Hi Stephanie
    Thanks for the great info I came across few doubts when I was the reading the article. I have completed my (3years of course ) from Indian university and I have completed my MBA Finance (2years of course) does this make me want 150 credit hours..? Secondly I am planning to take the exam next year 2017 and planning to move to US how do I find a job after my completion of the CPA course ..? And please suggest few best states that I am eligible for applying..

    Thanks and regards
    K.Saai vighnesh

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hello K.Saai,
      Yes you are likely ok with BCOM + MBA but if your MBA doesn’t have intermediate/advanced accounting credit hours, there is a chance that you need to make up for a few. This depends on which state boards you apply to.

      On your second question, the CPA license doesn’t guarantee a job in the US (or anywhere), so I have to say you can’t rely on your CPA qualification to apply for a work visa or expect that people will hire you simply because of the title. It’s just like having an ACCA won’t guarantee you a job in UK or in India.

      Regards, Stephanie

  • Yurim says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    I graduated with BCom with Accounting degree in Australia where they have a 3 year bachelor program. I currently reside Georgia and from what I’ve read, Georgia doesn’t require you to have 120 credit hours to sit an exam. It says I would need a bachelor’s degree with 20 semester hours above introductory level.

    I’m thinking about passing exams first then go ahead fulfill 150 credit hours for a license. Is this a bad idea?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Yurim,
      On surface it doesn’t seem to mention 120 credit hours, but the understanding of a bachelor, in the US, is a 4-year degree. So I am not sure if they will accept your 3-year BCOM. You may be right, but I haven’t heard of BCOM successfully going through Georgia.

      Even if you are allowed to sit for the exam, ultimately, you need an extra degree (preferably a 2-year master’s in accounting) to get both the 150 credit hour and degree requirements. I personally would plan for a path that works all the way before starting the process.

      Regards, Stephanie

      • Satish says:

        Hello Stephanie,

        My Name is Satish Iyer. I am from India.

        I wish to become a CPA too.

        I have done my Masters in Commerce (M Com) and also completed my Chartered Accountancy (Professional Education II) level, also known as CA (Intermediate).

        I have completed Certified Equity Professional (Level 1) from Santa Clara University, California with 72%.

        I am currently living and working in California on H1B visa.

        I have done my articleship for 3 years in India in a CA (Chartered Accountancy ) Firm.

        I also have work experience in IT industry (under Oracle JD edwards Finance domain) of more than 5 years.

        Since I have completed my Masters in Commerce and I have 3 years of experience in working in a Indian CA firm, am I eligible to apply for US CPA in California?

        Please let me know further steps in completing my Degree and Credit hours evaluation process.


        Satish Iyer

  • Bijal says:

    Hello Stephanie

    I graduated with B. Com and completed 1yrs of M.Com and inter CA with 3yrs of articleship in India. M staying in New Jersey and want to get licence of new jersey or newyork.
    Which state is best to apply for CPA so that I can easily transfer to any of the above mentioned state??

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Bijal, it’s risky to transfer exam credits and states so I encourage that you explore registering through NJ or NY. With a 1 year master’s degree, you should be ok with the minimum requirement but may need to get a few more credit hours done to reach 150 rule. It depends on how many credits (if any) they recognize your CA. Good luck! Stephanie

  • Kat says:

    Hi Stephanie, thanks for all the information you’ve provided. The emails and newsletter are so helpful. Unfortunately, the UNA courses don’t qualify for the NYS CPA exam. Or at least, that’s what NASBA said when I called. Just thought I would share.

  • RIYA says:

    I am having a 4 years BTech degree from WBUT + a Post Graduation diploma in Banking operations +3 years experience as a customer service officer in ICICI bank Ltd.Am i eligible for CPA.

    If not kindly guide where am I lagging and the solution to it.


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Riya, i am not sure how they look at the diploma, because the definition varies greatly from country to country. If you have a transcript and that diploma is from an accredited university, it will likely be counted.

      Anyway your 4 year degree is good enough to fulfill the degree requirement. I don’t have the details on whether you are fine with the minimum accounting and business courses. If you are serious about the CPA exam, an official evaluation report will tell you for sure. more info here:

  • Nishi Gandhi says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am currently living in California and wish to do my CPA. I have a 3 year Bachelors of Commerce degree with specialization in Accounts and Finance from the University of Mumbai, India. I have 90 credit hours as per my foreign transcript evaluation. What is the best way for me to get the extra 60 credits I need? I would really appreciate your help

    Thank you,

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Nishi, thanks for your note. You actually need to get an additional degree and not just the 60 credits, because the 3-year BCOM is not equivalent to a 4-year degree in the US (I know, even for top schools, they see this as simply as a 3-year degree).

      So the best thing you can do is to get a two-year master’s degree. It will solve all the issues:
      1. fulfill the degree requirement: 3 year BCOM + 2 year masters = 5 years
      2. fulfill the 150 credit hour requirement
      3. fulfill any accounting credit courses that you may be lacking
      4. graduate with a US degree which will substantially help your land a job
      5. for anyone who is on H4 visa, you can switch to a student visa and is able to work and then fulfill the experience requirements.

      It’s costly, of course, so do think carefully before proceeding.
      Hope it helps!

  • Nishi Gandhi says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Thank you so much for your advice. I just had one doubt. I am planning to apply for a Masters in Accounting for Fall 2017. It is a 2 years Masters degree but a friend of mine who is doing it right now at San Diego State University did tell me that you get only 30 credits from that course. Will this course still help me towards completing my credits if I study it over 2 years?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Nishi, not sure why it is only counted 30 credit hours. Maybe your friend has taken some similar courses and so they don’t count the duplicate? There isn’t enough info for me to investigate, but you can ask San Diego State University for details if this is the school you are planning to go to. Cheers, Stephanie

  • Jane says:


    I am a graduate of Bachelor’s degree and I continued my accounting for 1 year yet i didint finish. Am I qualified for the exam?


  • Divli says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have got done evaluation of my certificates recently for CPA exam in Guam. As per evaluation, I have baccalaureate degree and 120 semester hours. But I’m lacking 3 semester hours in business Finance course to be eligible for Guam.

    How can I get 3 semester hours in Finance? Kindly suggest a short term course. I want to take CPA exam from Guam because it appears that 120 hours are sufficient for license. Please help.

    Thank You!!!

  • JOHNNY TAM says:

    Hi Stephanie
    I just find out I lacking 1.3 semester hours. If I take any one of the “UNA Professional Accounting Prep Program”, I will fulfill the requirement. Please advise because I don’t want waste money to apply some class which does not help. I already spend a lot of money on the CPA exam and I’m broke. :<

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Johnny, understand… Are you just trying to fulfill the 150 credit hours (i.e. any course will do) or the minimum accounting credit hours?

      Both case should work, but if it is for fulfilling a specific area in accounting/business, make sure the course fits the description of the state board.

      Since i don’t know your background, please double check with UNA before committing. These courses are specifically designed for getting the required CPA exam qualification and so they should be able to answer your question very precisely. If you want to double check, maybe the state board is willing to answer the question as well. Regards, Stephanie

  • Joseph says:

    Hi. Have a question

    -Obtained my BA in Accounting in US and with 128 credit hours
    -Moved to Canada and did my CGA. Had to take 8 classes to qualify to write CGA
    -Planning to write US CPA exam
    -Wondering if the 8 classes I took to qualify for CGA are transferable to meet the 150 hours requirement.
    -If not, is it possible to write the exam before obtaining the 150 hours and which States would you recommend. Was considering Texas as I plan to move there by the end of the year. Thank you in advance.

  • Anju says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am a Bcom Graduate from India. I also hold a correspondence Post Graduation Diploma Human Resource (2 year course) from India. I had sent my certificates over ECE for evaluation in 2011 and unfortunately my PGDHRM was not considered and I was found to have US equivalent 99 semister hours

    What would be the best way for me to become eligible for CPA examination (believe I need to be at 120 hours to take up the examination )?


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Anju, I am afraid you need to get an extra (and related) degree, e.g. a master’s degree, to make it equivalent to 4-year degree as in the US. Regards, Stephanie

  • Zeeshan Niazi says:

    dear am ACCA member and also have bs(hons) in applied accounting from oxford brooks university. would u think if i go for my transcript evaluation i will get 120 or more credit hours for cpa exam? Thank You

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Zeeshan,
      Since the Oxford Brooks university degree is essentially from your ACCA, I don’t think you can double count it. So it will likely be seen as a 3-year degree. You might be able to get extra credits from a few state boards, but I don’t think it is enough to fulfill the degree requirement.

      For more info on the educational requirements, please read this page:

  • Kemi says:

    Hi! I have a BSc. in Accounting from Cameroon and an MSc. in Accounting/IT here in the US. Those two came up to 146 credits and I found out (negligent me!) only after I had passed all 4 parts of the exam and applied for the license. I had to find a way to get 4 credits to make up the 150 but luckily from speaking with a relative I learned that my GCE Advanced Level courses were each equivalent to 8 US college-level credits! I have 3 of the courses. So last week I sent the GCE certificate to be evaluated and then sent to my board of accountancy.

    I came upon this site and just wanted to let you know it might be a good idea to let students from foreign countries know that their post-secondary education can sometimes be evaluated here in the US and might be equal to college-level credits.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Kemi, that’s great, and thanks for sharing! Yes I will make sure I mention that on my exam requirements page.
      Congrats of becoming a licensed CPA 🙂
      Regards, Stephanie

    • Abdullah says:

      Hi Kemi,

      I just wanted your help regarding sending my GCE documents to NASBA for evaluation towards CPA credit. I have my official transcripts with me but NASBA site says it only accepts transcripts sent to them directly. How did you go through this whole process of evaluation. I would appreciate if you can help me. I just want to save money as every step requires for me to pay for the transcripts, evaluation, etc.

      Awaiting your response.

      Thank you.

  • Naz says:

    Hi Steph

    I have got my qualification evaluated from NASBA for Alaska in 2014 and wanted to clarify following:

    1. Is there a time frame where the assessment will be valid. Mine was done in April 2014

    2. Out come of assessment based on 3yrs Australian Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and CPA Australia was – “The combination of the Bachelor and CPA program is equivalent to 4 year baccalaureate degree from regionally accredited university in the United States with a total 120 semester credits”.

    Considering this assessment if its valid, I am assuming I will need to add additional 30credits and no requirement of additional year of degree is required. Can you please clarify if my interpretation is right?

    3. Since I also meet the accounting and Business Law, Economics & Math/Computers credit requirements, I am assuming additional 30 credits does not need to be in this concentration. I have got 52credits in accounting and 20 credits in Business Law, Economics & Math/Computers. Rest could be done even in non accounting categories.

    Appreciate your thoughts on how to proceed further.

    thanks for your time.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Naz, thanks for your note.
      1. I am not too sure because every state board is different. But it may be ok if there isn’t a change of rules in Alaska (I don’t think so). Best to check with state board directly.

      2. Yes. It’s good to know they accept CPA Australia. Alaska is likely one of the very few state boards accepting that as equivalent to part of a degree.

      3. That’s right.

      Good luck! Stephanie

  • Marisa says:

    Hi Steph,

    1. I have 149 Semester Unit, which is not enough for 150 unit requirement, Can you suggest the best way to know what unit still missing, e.g. Academic Credential Evaluation services?
    2. I am now residing in California and hoping to move to Texas in the future. Can you think of Texas requirement that’s different from California CPA requirement?

    Thank you so much for your help!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Marisa, did you obtain your credit hours outside of the US? If so, you should go through the evaluation service; otherwise, there is no need to do that. You also need to check whether the 140 credit hours are enough to fulfill the minimum accounting and business course requirement.

      If you don’t have solid plans to move to Texas yet, then I suggest that you stick with CA. There are some difference and you can compare using these summary pages:

      Regards, Stephanie

      • marisa says:

        Hi Stephanie,

        yes i did, and had an evaluation done for employment that shows only 149 of my 152 credit is eligible. so now i am looking into taking ethic class online to cover the missing credit.

        here is my worksheet for now.

        Fundamental of accounting 6 Accounting Credit
        Partnership and Corporation Accounting 3 Accounting Credit
        Financial accounting 6 Accounting Credit
        Advanced Accounting Problems I 3 Accounting Credit
        Cost Accounting Systems II 3 Accounting Credit
        Management Accounting 3 Accounting Credit
        total 24
        Analysis and interpretation of Financial Statement 3 Accounting Study Credit-A
        Advanced Accounting Problems II 3 Accounting Study Credit-A
        Cost Accounting Systems I 3 Accounting Study Credit-A
        Business Law- Obligations and contracts 3 Accounting Study Credit-B
        Business Organization and Management 3 Accounting Study Credit-B
        Comparative Asian Business Laws 3 Accounting Study Credit-B
        Business Correspondence and Report Writing in English 3 Accounting Study Credit-B
        Management of Small Business 3 Accounting Study Credit-B
        total 24
        Principles of economics 3 Business related Course
        Business Statistics 3 Business related Course
        Principles of marketing 3 Business related Course
        Introduction to Macroeconomics 3 Business related Course
        Quantitative Analysis of Business 3 Business related Course
        Mathematical Analysis of Business 3 Business related Course
        Management Advisory Services 3 Business related Course
        Mathematics of Investment 3 Business related Course
        Total 24

        Auditing Theory and Practices 6 Ethics
        Business Law- Laws on business organization 3 Ethics
        Ethics 3 Ethics
        Total 12

        I think i have the necessary credit unit needed per section but still lower than 150 credit. is there anything you can see on my list that are not eligible for the credit?

        Thanks for all your help!

  • Lakshman says:

    I have studied Bachelors in Computer Applications from Bangalore University, a NAAC Accredited “A” college, and MBA in Finance, Can you please let me know if I’m eligible to take US CPA

  • JOe Francis says:

    Is there any option for business credits like UNA accounting credits? i need 16.5 business credits!

  • Ras says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    I visited the UNA program website. Currently, it says that I would need to complete all coursework by July 27, 2016. I just need 6 credits of uppare accounting courses, so I was hoping to complete them well before July 27, 2016. Since these are self-paced courses, would I have to wait all the way until July 27, 2016 before I could receive my transcript for the courses?


  • Hassan says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    Highly appreciate your efforts in helping CPA exam candidates. Kindly note that I have a Bachelor degree in accounting from the University of Jordan with 120 semester hours. Initially I was registered with New Hampshire Board of Accountancy, now I am applying for the CPA license and I have transferred my grades to Guam as based on my understanding, I will still be able to get an active license if I have less than 150 credits as long as I have more than 4000 hours in Audit experience. Just in case this thing did not work out, can you please advise which universities offer accredited courses or semester hours online (Wiley CPAexcel will help?) as I am an international applicant and what courses I shall take in order to fill the 30 semester hour’s gap. I know some of my questions may be repetitive to you, but your reply will be highly appreciated


    • Abrar says:

      Hi hasan,

      i have the same concern you had.
      if you have already met your requirements, can you please help me meet mine? as I am still looking for a way to meet the 30 credit hours!!

      hope to hear from you soon.



    I am a Filipino-Canadian. A BsC-Accounting Graduate and CPA in the Philippines. I have taken courses in university here in Canada and was working on towards CGA designation until the merging of CA, CGA and CMA to one CPA designation. Will these courses I took can go towards my credit hour requirement?

    Please advice.

    Thank you

  • Gouthami says:

    Hi Stephanie, I have a 3 year bachelor degree (Indian Certified) and also I’ve completed Indian CA Inter. Will I be eligible for CPA?

  • Sireesha PL says:

    Hi Stephanie, Firstly thank you for quite a lot of information on CPA exam process. I did 3 Year B Com degree in India, and am a CA (Chartered Accountant) and ICWAI (Cost Accountant). I also did diploma in IFRS with ACCA London. I wanted to do CPA and sent my education qualifications to a evaluation agency. They did give me a equivalent 4 Bachelors degree from US university but weren’t sure about my educational eligibility for CPA. Can you suggest me on the options available to me. I checked states and consulted a few friends but looks like rules changed after 2012.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Yes Sireesha, rules from many state boards have changed since 2012. Did you get the evaluation report before then? Also, the report should have enough information to tell you whether your have fulfilled the educational requirements.

  • Alex says:

    Does anyone know when NY stopped accepting the UNA credits? I took 2 courses in 2015 for acting credit. I just applied and they told me they don’t accept them and NEVER HAVE. Which, according to the information I see around the web, seems false.

    I know I checked with NASBA before registering, I just don’t have any proof.

    Anyone get their NYS CPA using UNA credits?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Alexa, another reader did tell me recently, that NASBA evaluation does not count her UNA credits for NY state. (I mentioned it above and have now highlighted it in red to make sure people see it). I only heard this recently, so I also doubt if they never accepted it, but what can we do…

      Do you have to go through NY? The other states don’t seem to have this restriction. UNA is a very legitimate school I don’t know why NY has issues with that.

  • Manuj says:


    I am trying to appear for CPA Exam in US and don’t have enough accounting credits for the examination or License. I did my Under Grad and MBA from India and submitted all my transcripts/marksheets to NASBA for evaluation. As per them , i have total 153 credit hours but only 1.5 Accounting Credit Hours. They have recommended me 3 Jurisdictions, namely New Jearsey, Maine and Alaska which are best fit for me.

    Can you please help me with resources to obtain those 30 Accounting Credit Needed to obtain license form New Jearsey and also if do UNA Programe mentioned above it only gives me 24 credits. Which will make me eligible for Maine and Alaska but not New Jearsey.

    Also, i want to explore cheaper and cost effective options rather than going for an expensive Masters Prog.

    Do i have to go to the state (such as NJ, Maine) to give the exam or can the exam be taken form anywhere.

    I would really appreciate your help.


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Manuj, thanks for your note. My understanding is that Maine doesn’t work if you don’t have social security number (not sure if you have it). Also, 30 credit hours equal to one full year of accounting courses. That’s a lot of commitment, and I am not sure if it is worth it, you know. You have to think hard about the cost and benefit of getting the CPA before moving on (see my #1 point here:

      But to answer your last question, you can register in one state and take them in another. For example, for Indian candidates, you can take the exam in the Middle East centers. Regards, Stephanie

  • Kathy says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have a BA in Finance, i have around 4 credits accumulated in my BS study. And i am going to take a master degree in Business Analytics in this Jul. The MS that i am going to take have few accounting courses and i am thinking about taking an online accounting courses offered by Berkeley extension as the university that i am going to take MS charges far more money to having extra credits than Berkeley online.

    My question is, as the Berkeley online offers both individual courses and accounting certificate( if i finish 36 credits). Can i just take individual courses to take another 20 credits or shall i finish the complete course to get myself eligible for the CPA exam?


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Kathy, for the accounting credit hour requirements, you can get them done with non-degree courses from any accredited educational institution. I am quite sure the Berkeley online course is ok. If you want to double check, you can try sending the same note to your state board and see. Cheers, Stephanie

  • Bianca says:

    Hi Stephanie

    I have a BCOM with specialisation in accountancy at the University of Johannesburg and a BCOM Honors degree with specialisation in accountancy from the same university. In conclusion I have 2 accounting degrees. I am a CA in South Africa and currently in my 4th year of auditing at a Big 4 accounting firm. I compared the subjects I took to my friend who took his undergraduate and masters at a USA university and the course work appears to be similar.

    I’ve recently submitted by education to NASBA and are waiting for a response. I’ve applied for California which I understand has the 150 credit rule.

    I have the following questions:
    1. In your opinion do you think I would have sufficient credits to write the CPA in California?
    2. If not, by how many credits do you think I would be short by?
    3.I would like to move to the USA within the next few months and would like to have a game plan on how to get the remaining credits, without doing a masters in accountancy at an accredited university in the USA. What would be the best approach?

    Thank you

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hello Bianca, thanks for your note.
      1. It’s hard for me to tell without looking at what specific courses you have taken. But you’ll know from the NASBA evaluation report
      2. Same as above
      3. You should be getting the report shortly and by then you can decide. I don’t know in which capacity you are staying in the US, but generally you can either take non-degree courses (if you fulfill the degree requirement) as suggested above.

      Do not that California only grants license to those with social security number. So make sure you have that by the time you apply for the license. Regards, Stephanie

  • MMJ says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    First of all thank you for helping us find a way to achieve CPA. I am a B.Com graduate from India, specializing in Accounts and Finance. Since, the US Bachelor’s degree is of 4 years and my degree is only for 3 years and I do not have any other degree, is it possible for me to apply for the UNA Professional Accounting Prep Program? If not, is there any other option?

    Thank you once again.

  • Rahul Sharma says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am from India and I am working for one of the big 4s in the US on work visa. I hold BCA (Bachelors of Computer Applications) and MCA (Masters of Computer Applications) from India. I work closely with finance folks to implement business solutions for clients.

    Though I had at least one Management or Accounting subject every semester but I believe I don’t have 150 hours in Accounting.

    My questions:
    1. What is the way to know how much eligible hours I have and how many more hours I need?
    2. Assuming my sole purpose to have these hours is to get a CPA, what is the route I may choose to fulfill the eligibility criteria. I don’t want to leave my job however I am open for evening classes or distance education.

    Your answers/recommendations will be appreciated.


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Rahul, thanks for your note. One way you can find out is to have your Indian degree evaluated and the evaluation report will tell you exactly which courses count, and which are lacking. Based on that you can take the necessary classes in the US.

      Since you don’t need to go through the evaluation again for US classes, it’s totally fine to get the report now. It is part of your CPA exam application and won’t be wasted.

      And you certainly don’t need to quit your job. Look for evening classes or the UNA online classes if you are interested. Non-degree courses are totally fine to fulfill the 150-hour requirement (as long as you have fulfill the degree requirement, which I think you are fine with the bachelor + masters).

  • Rekha says:

    Hi Stephanine,

    This is Rekha. I have recently moved from India and I have done my B Com (Hons) and CA (got 28th rank on all over India basis). I have send 10 yrs of work experience in financial analysis field. I am looking to Persue CPA . Pls lemme know if I will be eligible or not.

    Thanks a ton in advance.



  • Sakshi Gupta says:

    Hi Stephanie

    I have come from India. I have done my bachelors in engineering and want to pursure CPA. Could you please let me know what would be the cheapest and quickest option to be eligible for CPA.


  • Krati Jain says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have done CA, B.COM and from India and have an experience to work with a Chartered Accountant firm for 2 years and 6 months with a bank in India. I want to take up my CPA in California .Will I be able to do that?



    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Krati, in terms of educational requirement, your BCOM + MCOM should be good. For California though they will let you take the exam but won’t issue you a license unless you have a social security number (which I assume you don’t have). You may want to consider other states. Some suggestions here:

      As for your experience, most states only recognize experience under the supervision of a US CPA. But some of the states mentioned in the above link have more flexible experience requirements. Hope it helps! Stephanie

      • KRATI says:


        I do have SSN . I want to get confirmed with the experience front. I do not have experience under a USCPA.

        • Stephanie Ng says:

          Hi Krati, that’s good. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have this experience right now, but you may want to plan to get that experience under a US CPA down the road. 1 year is enough. This supervisor can be in public or non-public accounting but his/her license must be active during the time you work under him/her. CA does mention that may consider a CPA-equivalent supervisor to be a valid verifier under some condition (I think it depends on your job nature, don’t remember exactly). So you may want to double check with CA based on your own situation. Good luck! Stephanie

  • Jennifer says:

    Hi Stephanie, you have such a great website here. Thanks for all you are doing to help people get their CPA license!

    I’ve read a few pages and can’t find the answer to my question so I’m hoping you can help. My question pertains to California’s educational requirements.

    I just completed a BSBA with an emphasis in Accounting so I have my degree, which is 120 credits. I need 30 more credits but I can’t tell which courses I need. I downloaded the “Educational Requirements for CPA Licensure Beginning January 1, 2014,” located here:

    I created an Excel spreadsheet using that information and comparing it to the courses I have already taken. I have done pretty much ALL of those courses/credits within my degree, except for four ethics credits. Since I’ve already done most of the coursework listed on that sheet, how do I fulfill the additional 30 credit requirement? I am not sure which courses I should take. Thanks for your help.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hello! It’s great that you try your best checking out the educational requirements. If you are only lacking ethics credits, just get this done either online or in nearby community colleges. As long as you are done with all the accounting and business credits, you can take whatever course you like to fulfill the rest of the 30 credit hours — like cooking / language classes.

      Since you have the excel spreadsheet done, might want to double check by sending it to the CA state board. they don’t have the obligation to tell you whether you are fine or not, but if you are lucky, a friendly rep will tell you whether it’s ok. I mean, it doesn’t hurt to send them the file and have a look. The worst thing is that they ignore you. Good luck! Stephanie

  • Rene says:


    I’m in the process of applying for the cpa license in the state of Hawaii. I’ve met all the required number of accounting and business related courses for the license but earned my Bachelors Degree in Accountancy outside of US. In compliance w/ the requirement of the board for foreign education, I had my credentials
    evaluated by the NASBA International Evaluation Services. Unfortunately, per evaluation, I fell short on the total number credit hours for having only 124 vs 150 required for the license. I already passed all the parts of the cpa exam and currently I don’t plan on enrolling to a Master’s degree and if possible, I just wanted to earn those additional college credit hours to make up for the difference. The board of accountancy didn’t specify the kind of courses to take as long as I get them from an accredited school/university.

    Is UNA an accredited university for this purpose and will enrolling to UNA be an available option for me? Looking at the list of courses like Fin Acctg, Business Law, etc. looks like I already took some of these subject as part of my Bachelors credentials though maybe of different curriculum. If I take those, will they be treated as different credits?

    I am currently employed right now so if possible just trying to look for ways to earn those credits the soonest and with a lesser cost. Though I actually passed my exams way back in 2014, I haven’t progress much on my license application because of this. What option would be available for me? Thank you in advance for your help.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Rene, is it correct that you fulfill all accounting and business requirements, and what you are lacking is only the courses required for the 150-hour rule? If so you can take any course you like from an accredited institution, e.g. the closest community college. It can be anything from cooking to foreign languages to golf. I am quite sure this is the case for most states, but to it is best to confirm this understanding with the Hawaii state board. Good luck! Stephanie

  • Eapen says:

    Does CMA (from IMA USA) qualify for the extra 30 hr requirement in addition 120 hr credit which was already obtained to sit for the CPA exam.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Eapen, no, I am afraid state boards do not recognize professional qualifications (including but not limited to CMA) as part of the educational requirements. Regards, Stephanie

  • Shoaib Zahid says:

    HI i have a 2 years masters degree(MBA-finance) with 120 credit hours and have also passed CPA(pakistan) that also have 120 credit hours.Am i eligible to sit in the CPA(USA) Exams.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Shoaib, typically professional qualification is not counted. Also, in the US, 1 academic year = 30 credit hours so I am not sure how your 2 year master’s can be translated to 120 credit hours. Anyway, if you believe this is the case, you can get an evaluation report and will know for sure. Regards, Stephanie

  • kanupriya says:

    I have my 3 yr bachelors degree from india and a CA degree .Iv currently come to wisconsin and want to pursue CP. What i have gathered from ur above comments that my 3 yr degree would not be counted as a degree and have to do a masters degree? So just fulfilling the credit requirements won’t do?
    Since I’m not so particular on the state because i won’t be settled for good in wisconsin . So can u help me the easiest state which is possible for me according to my case.
    Also can i get my indian transcripts evaluated only by NASBA or can it be done any NACES member( a link i go from the NASBA website for the evaluation)

  • Sriram says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Regarding the 150 credit hours required for CPA, will this be fulfilled if i study and clear my CMA?

  • sara says:


    i have completed my degree in BSc Mathematics in 1991
    i worked in the finance team for more than 20 years..

    how is it possible for me to opt for CPA.. please let me know if if have to take a PG


  • V Ramachndra says:


    I am an experienced Professional with more than 2 decades International experience.
    I hold a 3 Yr B.Com degree from India.
    Also Completed the 1st Year of M.Com and passed the exam to meet the 4 year requirement.
    Also completed 3years of Audit Training after B.Com.
    Did not sit the 2nd Year of M.Com as I was told it was not necessary.
    I am Also a Certified Internal Auditor
    Certified Informations Systems Auditor (Word Ranker)
    Project Management Professional
    Hold numerous international certifications in several fields.
    The USICS has accepted that I have degrees in Accounting and IT equivalent to US degrees and also many years of international experience.

    Am I eligble to Sit for the CPA exams? Or can I sit the exam in Alaska or any other state if I only want to take the course of Academic purposes and not a licence.

    Appreciate your kind feedback.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi V Ramachndra,
      Thanks for your note. I believe Alaska will likely work, but ultimately you need to get 150 credit hour of general education to get the license. So you may still consider finishing your MCOM. Afterall, getting the master’s degree is helpful for your long term career. If there are other reasons that leads you to stop taking the master’s, it’s ok as you can fulfill the remaining 30 credit hours or so with non-degree courses.

      Your next step is to get an evaluation report and also plan ahead on how to fulfill the experience requirements. More info here:

  • harshita bhonsle says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I have completed my B com from India. And also cleared my one group of CA final here. But now I want to go for CPA in USA (I want to do it from Oregon). Can you help me with a way I can get registered there with three years of degree course. Also will my CA be counted?. And I have done internship for 3 years as well as is required by CA course.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      I am afraid it is not possible… at least I can’t think of a way to do that. A rule is a rule. Regards, Stephanie

  • Piya says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    you have such a great website.

    Thanks for all you are doing to help people get their CPA license!

    I have read a few questions and can’t find the answer to my question so I’m hoping you can help. My question pertains to South Carolina educational requirements.

    I have done my + from India and I evaluated my degree form NASBA and got 152 hours credit. I applied for Exam but SC board of accountancy put me on hold and the reason is “Lack of U.S Tax course” so now what are the options I have ???

    1) Do I have to complete U.S Tax course to seat for the Exam?
    2) what does mean “24 semester hours need to be in Accounting courses & Business courses”?


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Piya,
      You can simply take an (online) taxation courses to fulflil the requirements. I have an old page here with some suggestions. Please double check before committing to any of those courses:

      As for 24 semester hour requirement, it means you need 24 credit hours worth of accounting course, and likely another 24 hours of business courses. The NASBA report should have shown how much you have. Regards. Stephanie

  • Safdar says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    It is indeed a great job you are doing by helping people providing the required counselling.

    i am a Bcom graduate from India, i got my evaluation done by FACS and got 100 credit hours for my 3 years degree course and even got to sit for the CPA exam from Montana state as i have the required credits for tax too apart from the other courses. I have cleared 3 courses namely FAR, BEC & AUD and now REG is the only one left to clear.

    Being an international student once i clear REG, i get a window of 3 years to apply for the license. Now for me in this 3 years time i need to get 1 year degree and additional 50 hours of credit to be eligible to apply for the licence. Now my questions to you are:

    Is there a way to increase the window beyond 3 years after i clear my REG course?

    Any course you may suggest whereby i can fulfill the requirement of 1 year degree and get additional 50 credits?

    if at all i plan to do MBA, is accountancy the only specialization i can opt for, considering i have the credits required to sit for the CPA exam for Montana State and have already sat for 3 exams?

    Thank you for your time to go through the above matter and highly appreciate your feedback on the same.



    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Safdar,
      Thanks for your note. Going for a 1-2 year master’s degree is good way to fulfill both the degree and 150-credit hour requirement. It’s great if you prefer MBA focusing on accounting, because it will be easier for you to have enough accounting credits (note that Montana requires upper-level classes, meaning intermediate or advanced accounting courses).

      On the 3 year limitation, I heard that they “may be” not as strict but I really have no idea, nor have I heard from any readers on exemptions. The best thing is for you to ask your state board directly as they are the one to grant you the exemption, if any. If it is possible, do let us know!

  • John says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am in the unique situation of having just over 150 credit hours via a bachelors degree in accounting and an MBA, but am short of the 33 accounting credit hours required by NY by one class. If I took an online accounting class to get the additional accounting credits, would this be sufficient to meet the education requirements for the CPA?

    Thank you for your help.

  • Amber R says:


    I’ll try to limit my question. I have my Bachelor and Masters in Social Work (extremely unrelated). I’m sure I have a few courses that would put me past 120 credits but it seems I’ll have to get another 60 credits (30 in business and 30 in accounting) to become a CPA. Honestly, I’m very confused what route to take. I have no idea if I’ll even like the field, I just know that I like budgeting and understanding how money works and using standard processes in my work. The most I’ve done is readings here and there, and watched a few youtube videos.

    Currently, my husband and I are awaiting his accepting into a PhD program within the next year to start my own path. If he is accepted, most any school will allow discount on courses for spouses. My goals are to make more than I am now-I’ve been in the field for 4 years and I’m still only bringing in 36k, and I’ve been sole breadwinner…stressful. I am 29, and would like to expand my family around the time my husband would complete or toward the end of his program. I have no goals to be an executive or the head honcho. I’d like to continue working in nonprofits (as a bleeding heart and for loan forgiveness provided to social service workers) but I want to be able to support my family and have flexibility in my schedule.

    What steps should I take? Is a CPA realistic or even worth it for me?


    Amber R.

  • Imran says:

    I am acca and bsc hons earned in connection with acca,I have a evaluation report from WES and they awarded me 147 credit hours on the base of my credentials.
    I am dubai resident and for sure don’t have SSN.Can you advice me about state which accepts wes report on the base of acca and it doesn’t require SSN to write exams.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Imran, is your WES evaluation report specifically done for the CPA exam? Normally you need to pick a state before asking for a report, because the states have different rules. Regards, Stephanie

  • Imran says:

    Also if you can clarify me about university degrees.All universities which are accepted locally will be awarded equivalency?or evaluation bodies have a list of accredited universities from each country?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Imran, I can’t speak for the evaluators, but I suspect they have their own lists. Regards, Stephanie

  • Bijal patel says:

    Hi Stephanie

    I completed BCom from India and sem1 of Mcom so hopefully il get 100 credit in evaluation. But m shifting to new jersey in August n can’t complete my Mcom in India.
    Can I fulfill the 30 more credit by taking classes of remaining credit in any college of USA?
    Do they give admission just for remaining classes?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Bijal, you can, but the challenge is more on how you can fulfill the degree requirement. Currently you have a BCOM which I assume is 3-year degree. If the MCOM is unfinished it cannot be counted as part of a degree. Regards, Stephanie

  • Ann Persaud says:

    Dear Stephanie,
    Thanks for all the great information. I have a 4 full year bachelor degree in Management (1 year Financial Accounting course and 1 year Management Accounting course) and a 1 year Master’s in Accounting and Finance (UK). I have not done any course in Auditing and only 1 semester course in Accounting Theory and Taxation.

    I don’t live in the US. Can you please advise which state is my best option for the CPA.



  • Khoi says:

    Dear Stephanie,
    Thanks for all the great information. I have a 4 full year bachelor degree in Accounting and ACCA qualification. Can I take the US CPA Vietnam. If not, could I take the CMA and after that I take the CPA.



  • Khoi says:

    Dear Stephanie,
    Thanks for all the great information. I have a 4 full year bachelor degree in Accounting and ACCA qualification. Can I take the US CPA US. If not, could I take the CMA and after that I take the CPA.



  • Rong says:

    Hi, thanks for the informative post.
    I found UNA courses really helpful and affordable. However, they only offer accounting courses which satisfy the requirement of the 24 credits in accounting, but what about the 24 (or 18 after using up 6 accounting credits) in business? where can I get those? I work full time so it would be much easier if I can do them online from an accredited institution.
    Thanks. Looking forward to read your response.

  • Vikram Bhardwaj says:

    Hi Steph,

    First of all I would like to thank you for providing the useful information on AICPA program.

    I just heard that one does not have to have a degree in accounting for becoming US CPA. So I have become bit more curious to know about the educational & experience requirement. I think you would definitely be able to advise me better as you are replying to so many queries.

    Currently I am taking CPA Australia exams and have cleared 2 out of 6 segments (Financials Reporting & Advanced Taxation).

    I completed 3 years Bachelors degree in Arts from India in 1999 and 1 Year Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology from India in 2003. Then I moved to Australia and completed 2 years Advanced Diploma in Accounting in 2013 from Australian College. As I did not have bachelors degree in accounting so I had to take 8 foundation level exams (To satisfy the core knowledge of accounting subjects) with CPA Australia to get into CPA program.

    I have more than 5 years experience and am a registered tax agent here in Australia.

    I just need to know whether I satisfy the educational requirement for starting US CPA and can I claim my overseas experience while applying for the license in Washington State.

    If you think yes, I do meet the educational requirement which state board should I go with.

    Thanks in advance.

    Vikram Bhardwaj

  • Debasis says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Hope you are fine.

    I am from India, need your expert advice on the credit point system.

    Current i am a cost accountant from Institute of cost accountant of India, and a graduate from local university. Could you please let me know what would be the points i would be able to fetch and what are the states available to apply.

    Let me know if you require any further information.


  • Eve says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    Thank you for much for posting the info on UNA CPA prep classes. I am missing 18 accounting credits towards my education requirement. I have took Financial Reporting 1 and 2 long time ago in school (15 years ago). If I take Financial Reporting 1, 2 and 3 at UNA as a refresher class, would I get credit for it towards my CPA education requirement? I guess I am not sure if I can take the “same” class again and get additional credits. I would be taking the taxation and auditing as well to get a total of 18 accounting credits.
    Thank you!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Eve, thanks for your note! Yes, I would be careful about the “same” classes. I know some states at least do not count duplicate classes. You can email the Dean of UNA and see if he can help. Good luck! Stephanie

  • Eve says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    Are there any other online schools like UNA where I can take a few accounting classes at a reasonable price without enrolling in a program. (I only need 2 more accounting classes for my CPA education requirement.)

    Thank you in advance!


    Hi Stephanie,
    I have done my bachelor of commerce degree in 2013 and also done Financial reporting III from North Alabama University, how many credits are need to fulfill the eligibility for CPA?



  • Shatrughan Jha says:

    I have three year B.COM degree from India plus completed my ACCA and CMA USA. As I am aware ACCA & CMA don’t count for required credit hours but can you please advise NASBA approved CPE hours earned through online webinar provided by CMA institute can be enough to meet requirement of credit hours.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Shatrughan, unfortunately no, the courses must be taken from a regionally accredited educational institution (i.e. some sort of universities or colleges)

  • Jordan Walters says:

    Hello, I am currently a college graduate with 120 credit hours after graduating. I am now in a community college to earn my extra 30 credits needed for my CPA. Although I just started to wonder, my community college doesn’t offer a wide variety of courses. Therefore I took all basic level classes and two actual upper-level accounting courses. Although every course I just started now this Fall, I already completed at my actual University. I will still get the credits at the end of year, meaning I will indeed have 150 that is needed. I just hope there is no complications with me taking the same courses just as a review for my extra courses. I was hoping you guys would know to tell me if I need to be in completely different courses in order to count or not. Again I am at a different college now but taking all classes I previously completed at my last college. Thank you for your time!!

  • Umair says:


    i need to do cpa i have a 2 years BCOM degree having a 10 years of accounting and auditing experience.

    I cannot able to identify which state i choose to do CPA where to apply how to proceed.

    Currently living and working in jeddah

    what are the steps.

  • N Gandhi says:

    I have 2 papers left for CPA . FAR and BEC . My credits expired for BEC and therefore need to give again. It is difficult to go to USA again due to cost and office leave schedules . I therefore want to shift from CA State Board to NY State Board since NY Board allows candidates to sit in Dubai which is near to India. I hold more than 150 hours of credits evaluated for CA Board . I desire to know the process of shifting mid way after giving 2 papers . I inquired at a lot of places but no one has any clue. There is a process for shifting scores after you become a CPA from one state to another for license requirements but none to be seen for such a case

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi N, I believe it is possible. You may want to contact NY state board and ask for a form to get the exam credits transferred from California. Good luck! Stephanie

  • Nag says:

    Hi Stephanie
    I have 3 years degree (Bcom) in India. I live in California . I wish to take up master of science in taxation from a university in California. It’s a one year master degree and it gives me 30 credits. Can I do CPA with this masters

  • Maitri says:

    Hi stephanie

    First of all thank you so much for providing all the information so far. I recently moved to US from Africa. I got my credentials evlauated by FACS as required by state of Louisiana. I have 156 semester hours 18 accounting and 24 business.

    I was told to take the remaining accounting hours at senior level. My first question therefore would be how do i know if those classes will help me qualify for cpa. Because I see some people taking Mba classes but i am taking classes at ungrad level

    Also once i have take the remaining classes do i apply directly to cpa board or do i need to go through the evaluation process again?

    Lastly how much time do we get to satisfy the experience part? Would experience from Africa count? Would i be able to get experience after i am done with cpa?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Maitri, if you are taking these additional classes in the US (sounds like you are), then you don’t need to go through the evaluation agencies. Just send the transcript directly to the state board.

      As for whether the classes can be counted, if the classes are designed for juniors and seniors (typically with class number that starts with 3 and 4), they should be ok. If not sure, ask the school because I am sure they know. Classes in MBA are not necessarily advanced classes (in fact, if it is accounting, it’s often introductory) so be careful. Hope it helps!

  • Emily says:

    Hi there Stephanie,

    Thanks for providing such a great resource! I have a 4-year degree in Business Administration & Economics, and took classes at a local community college to attain a certificate in Business Income Taxes, and a certificate in Financial Accounting. Do you think this will suffice for the 150 minimum? I’m in NC. I wasn’t sure how to determine how many credit hours I have, can you provide any guidance in determining the amount you have so far?


  • Yanal says:


    I have finished my last exam in May 23rd 2014, and as per the rules i have three years until i get the license or my passing results will be reinstated.

    I am registered in new Hampshire state and my major is business administration. I only have 12 hours of accounting and 1 business law course but i have the two years experience from a CPA company.



  • Ashish Jain says:

    Dear Stephanie

    I have completed BA Hons in Economics degree (three year full time) and a Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management with specialisation in Finance (recognised as equavent to MBA in India) and wish to pursue the CPA. I have been advised in India that I need to do a one year Post Graduate Diploma program ina ccounting to be eligible. Can you please advise.

    I have more than 10 years of experience in Finance and Accounting otherwise.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Ashish, I am not sure but looks like you are ok with the 4-year bachelor degree requirement (the 3-year BCOM + 1 year diploma). It’s correct that you still need 1 year worth of classes but you can take those as non-degree courses. It also looks like you need more accounting classes so the suggestion makes sense.

      But to know for sure you’ll have to get a foreign credential evaluation report. Good luck on your CPA journey!

      You can check out this page for details on the education requirements:

  • Sofi says:


    I am short of 17 semester hours of upper division accounting. Where to get these? How many credits is 17 hours and which parts i need to take for appearing in CPA from CPA Wiley courses? I am from GA, USA

  • Shyam says:

    Shyam says
    October 5 2016.

    Dear sir,
    I have and Iam going to complete my m.b.a in finance this year .will Iam eligible to write cpa exam,if yes in which state I have to opt For,and also I want to know if I got a job in usa or uk what are the chances of getting h1b visa.plz reply.


  • Prashant says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have subscribed your post for CPA and it is very very helpful, thanks for that. However Just to give you my background, I have done B COM from India and a Chartered Accountant working with Big 4. So will working in Big 4 helps me in getting any extra credits? i would also like to know if I complete all 4 exams from non Us sites like middle east will the evaluated credits will expire?

    Thanks in Advance


  • Riaz says:


    I have Bachelor Degree (2 years) and Certificate of Cost and Management Accountant of Pakistan
    (Member of Cost and Management Accountant of Pakistan) if i will get less than 150 Credit Hours what i will do.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Riaz, you actually also need to fulfill the degree requirement as well — something like a 2-year master’s degree that can be seen as a continuation of your bachelor will be helpful. On top of that, 1 more year worth of (non-degree) courses to make it to 150 credit hours. To be honest you need to decide whether it’s worth it… or you can take a look at other qualifications, or simply to do an excellent job in your company for salary increase and promotion.

  • Tamara Grammer says:

    I only need 6 accounting units and am looking to use the program at UNA. I also plan to take the Wiley CPA excel prep program. Do you think I should finish my units first or do the prep program first to take the exams? I am in CA. I guess we are allowed to finish units after the exam?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Tamara, depending on which course you take, what you learn from class can be helpful to your actual exam. So I would probably take the course first (unless you really want to get some of those done before the April 2017 changes).

  • Vikram Bhardwaj says:

    Hi Steph,


    Currently I am taking CPA Australia exams and have cleared 2 out of 6 segments (Financials Reporting & Advanced Taxation).

    I completed 3 years Bachelors degree in Arts from India in 1999 and 1 Year Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology from India in 2003. Then I moved to Australia and completed 2 years Advanced Diploma in Accounting in 2013 from Australian College.

    I have more than 5 years experience in accounting profession.

    I just need to know whether I satisfy the educational requirement for starting US CPA.

    If you think yes, I do meet the educational requirement which state board should I go with.

    Thanks in advance.

    Vikram Bhardwaj

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Vikram,
      It’s a bit complicated… looks like you are ok but I am not sure how the state boards determine your diploma — different countries have different definition of diplomas so it’s hard for me to tell. You will need a credential evaluation report to know for sure. In the meantime, you can check out this education requirement page and figure out whether you have a good chance to get through:

  • Mina Moukhtar says:

    would CIA give the 30 credit hours needed for the CPA license?

  • Naveed Asghar says:


    I have completed my Certified accounting technician certificate From ACCA and i have also comleted my ACCA Part 2 level. i have also done BA (hons) in international business Management and Msc investment analysis fromUK. could you please guide me what options i have if i want to do CPA.

  • Nekuse Daniel says:


    i am in my third year pursuing a 3 bachelors degree in business studies at Islamic universality in Ugandan , but as well hold a diploma in business studies Accounting option from Makerere university Business school in Uganda, can i as well qualify for a CPA in US?

  • Ann says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am only in need of 3 credit hours to make it 150. The Illinois Board of Examiners told me that they wouldn’t accept Becker. I found Keller that will be accepted (they said) but it will be close to 6K only for the review course. Could you give any suggestions?

    Thank you for your time,

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Ann, does the UNA online courses work for you? It’s still $475 per course I believe.
      Yeah, 6K is ridiculous… rip off in my opinion.

  • Andrew says:


    I live outside the US. I am not a US citizen. I have completed 120 credits (BA) at an accredited university in my country. Clearly, I am short on 30 credits. if I complete 30 credits from ANOTHER accredited university in the same country will that work and bring the sum to 150 credits and be granted the license? I am applying for Alaska by the way. PLEASE let me know ASAP. Thank you for your kind attention.

  • Nikita says:

    I have 3 yrs of bachelors degree from India n and CA inter from ICAI.
    I recently got my certificates evaluated from NASBA under undecided jurisdiction.
    They gave me options between Alaska, Montana and Guam..
    I chose Montana, I received my final evaluated report where they have given me total of 123 hrs of credit where 36hrs of accounting course and 48 hrs of business course.
    Is that sufficient to sit for CPA exams ?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Nikita, if NIES said ok, I am quite sure it’s fine! The only thing to watch out for is that you do need to fulfill the 150 credit hours and 4-year degree requirement at the end. From what I know, your 3-year degree + CA is not considered an equivalent to a 4-year degree. The report should have stated that quite clearly.

      Passing the exam without getting the license isn’t useful so do plan ahead to make sure you can eventually get the license 🙂

  • AMIT says:

    Hi, I have completed B.Com as well As M.Commerce, total 5 years in accounting and commerce from India. Am I eligible for CPA in USA?

  • hira javed says:

    Hi, I have 117 credit hours currently and i want to do CPA .
    Please advise of where can i do CPA if i will have 120 credit hour?
    Also advise of the course for the shortfall of my credit hour?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Hira, the more important point is — do you have a 4-year bachelor degree (or equivalent)? You can get non-degree courses to get to 120 or 150 credit hours, but without a 4-year degree you cannot qualify. Regards, Stephanie

  • Chris Stevenson says:

    I currently have a Business Administration degree and am short about 18 upper level accounting credits in order to sit for the CPA Exam. Is the UNA option smart to go with in my situation? I want to sit for the CPA Exam in Iowa and believe that the UNA program would be accepted. Any help would be appreciated.

  • SG says:

    Is there any minimum passing score for any courses of 150 credits in order to be eligible to register for US CPA ?

    Thank you,

  • Stephanie Ng says:

    Hi Joel, it really doesn’t matter whether it is online or live. It depends on your needs, budgets and interest in that specific class. Regards, Stephanie

  • George says:


    I am a chartered accountant with the ACCA UK and also have an MBA in banking and finance, my bachelors degree is however not accounting related, I want to know if this will qualify me for the CPA exams

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi George, it is possible but you may need to take quite a few accounting courses (non-degree ones are usually fine). It depends if you are willing to spend the money and time on this. Regards, Stephanie

  • hira javed says:

    Hi,i am hira.
    Please provide information regrading non-degree courses.Also please recommend some institutes in New York city which offers them.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Hira, the above is info on non-degree courses… I am afraid I don’t cover institutions by state but as long as they are regionally accredited, they are good for the purpose of CPA exam qualifications.

  • Ztariq says:


    I am in the process of applying for the US CPA with the Washington State. To fulfill the basic requirement of 150 credit hours of education, I will be needing your advice as to how to proceed further. In addition, I will also be seeking clarifications on the following:

    1. I have 2 Bachelors one in accounting(ACCA) and the other one in Mathematics(Full Time). gained in different years and in different universities. Does these both count as separate or will it support each other for this application?

    2. In addition I have Accounting Foundation Level course with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan spread over 2 years’ full time attendance. It is the Intermediate certification in Accounting. I have not checked with them whether they give the transcripts for the certification stage. But i have the pass letter which gives the subject i passed. Will it support my application and count towards the credit hours?

    3. I know that ACCA is not recognised as equivalent to the academic requirement. However as per the Higher Education Commission(HEC) in Pakistan it is equivalent to Master of Commerce (MCOM) in Pakistan. If I get the equivalency of M COM from Pakistan will it support my education requirement further.

    4. I also have CPA Canada gained through the Mutual Recognition Agreement with ACCA. Does this count towards my application? Furthermore, I took Taxation 2 Advanced Course and completed it for my CPA of British Columbia public practicing requirement.

    Please guide me as my options are limited as I am currently residing in Canada and therefore do not have the US SSN or residence.


  • yiwen says:

    Hi Stephanie, loved reading all these useful tips, thanks for doing this.
    I have a quick question- I have completed the CPA exam and have the necessary experience. Now what’s lacking is just the 150credit hour rule. Do you know if i will need a student visa (i’m from Singapore) to complete online courses at community college?

    Also, nowadays there are a lot of online courses providers like coursera that enables us to purchase credit hour from an accredited community college after completing the online course. Do you have any idea if this is similar to an online course offered through community colleges and thus will be recognised by most states?

    Thank you so much for your time.

  • S.A. says:

    My bachelors degree is in computer science but have worked in accounting for 20 years. What do I need to do to qualify to sit for CPA exam.

  • RF says:

    Warning — Indiana also rejects the UNA online courses for fulfillment of individual subject requirements (e.g., a course in Auditing); they consider these review courses, and only accept these credits towards your total credit hours.

  • Michael says:

    Hey! I graduated with an MBA with a specialization in Accounting. It turns out I need one Audit course to satisfy the CPA requirements. Will the UNA Audit course count towards that?



    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Michael, it should be ok in most states — not all states because, as mentioned above, a few such as NY and NH do not recognize UNA courses for some reason. You may want to check with the dean of UNA (or your state board) to find out. Good luck in your application!

  • phil akp says:

    Hello Stephanie, thanks for your great and informative replies. I have a 3yr Bachelor’s degree in History (2007), 2yrs dilploma/associates degree in law (2003), Also, i have a one Master’s coursework credit in peace and conflict studies (not the final degree for the master’s, 2013). all combined academic credits are 216 credits. My credentials are from foreign countries and have been evaluated by World Education services (WES)but i now live in the US and planning to change my career paths for better prospects into accounting related . I intend taking the CPA but yet to accumulate the accounting hours. My questions are these: are my 3 years bachelor degree and 2 years associate degree sufficient to meet the 150hrs credit requirement? Will a 30 accounting credits satisfy the accounting courses for all states?
    I hope to do a Masters in Legal studies or Master’s in Taxation starting 2017. Will a graduate certificate in accounting from a University satisfy


  • Jessica says:

    Hi, Stephanie.

    Thanks a lot for your information posted here! As an international student living outside US, I also bought your book about CPA exams and it is also very helpful.

    I have got the credential evaluation report from Illinois. I am short of 11 accounting credits, including one auditing and one tax course. Besides, I still need one course on business ethics. I have two questions:

    – Do you know if Illinois accepts the UNA courses?
    – Going through the UNA website, I did not find any course for business ethics. Do you know where I can take the business ethics course?

    Thank you very much in advance!

    Best Regards



    Hi Stephanie,

    I have cleared all the four parts of the CPA exam. I am falling short of three credit hours for accounting from the state of Georgia. However, I do qualify for Alaska and New Hampshire and seek licence straight away.

    The problem is I will ultimately be practicing from the state of Texas.And the requirements of Texas are very strict. If I seek license from Georgia(by completing education) or Alaska (straight away) and then move my licence to Texas, do I still have to fulfill all the requirements for Texas state?

  • Tomresh says:


    Since i have completed B.COM(Honours) from Calcutta University, India and have also passed the CMA program from IMA, will i be eligible for appearing for the CPA exams and if not, can you please alternatively suggest a way out, like for e.g an MBA(Finance) will help get the required 150 credit hours.

  • Tomresh says:


    Since i have completed B.COM(Honours) from Calcutta University, India and have also passed the CMA program from IMA, will i be eligible for appearing for the CPA exams and if not, can you please alternatively suggest a way out, like for e.g an MBA(Finance) will help get the required 150 credit hours.

    Thanks in advance for your help in this regard

  • Ivy says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have a BS in Business Admin degree from a Massachusetts State School. I had transferred from a community college with an Associates. I have 129 business credits. I want to study and sit for the CPA exam. I don’t know how to go about doing this. I’m very confused

  • Giovana says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I love your blog and thank you for sharing your experience and expertise.

    I’m a US resident (not citizen), with non-accounting BA from Brazil. I’ve currently been working as an accountant for a private Software company for 2 years and my supervisor is encouraging me to pursue a CPA due my knowledge and experience. I live in Colorado. Do you have any recommendations on the best way to pursue the CPA?
    From my research, I’ll need to get my BA validated in the US, get the 150 hours and the experience form filled out (my supervisor would have that completed for me, he meets the requirement for endorsement). Then I’ll be able to enroll for the CPA test and start my target studying/taking tests.

    Looking forward to hearing your recommendation.

    Thank you!

  • Dheeraj Manral says:

    what if someone had degree from distance learning + ca degree + degree from distance learning can he applied for cpa course.

  • Omar says:

    Hi Stephanie

    Do you know of any affordable online programs where I can take courses to obtain credits to apply for the FL License. I have completed my 4 exams, but I need to complete 4 additional accounting courses to receive my license.


  • constance nwokolo says:


    I am a science graduate with a 4 years bachelors degree. I also have my home country (Nigeria) CA and i also have ACCA.

    Currently doing an only BSc Accounting degree with University of London which will be for 2 years and im about to start an MBA in finance. I also have over 6 years audit experience in an audit firm.

    I will be moving to the US in 2 months and i want to get the CPA. What to know if i am on the right track or if you have any suggestions that could make me eligible to write the CPA exams.


  • DAVID says:

    Am planning to move to the USA next this year to join my family. I have an AA degree in Accounting, MSC. Financial Management from UK and ACCA. NASBA Evaluation came up to 88 CREDIT HOURS.

    Am currently doing Diploma in IFRS from ACCA does NASBA accept this as towards my CPA credit requirement.

  • Satish says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    My Name is Satish Iyer. I am from India.

    I wish to become a CPA too.

    I have done my Masters in Commerce (M Com) and also completed my Chartered Accountancy (Professional Education II) level, also known as CA (Intermediate).

    I have completed Certified Equity Professional (Level 1) from Santa Clara University, California with 72%.

    I am currently living and working in California on H1B visa.

    I have done my articleship for 3 years in India in a CA (Chartered Accountancy ) Firm.

    I also have work experience in IT industry (under Oracle JD edwards Finance domain) of more than 5 years.

    Since I have completed my Masters in Commerce and I have 3 years of experience in working in a Indian CA firm, am I eligible to apply for US CPA in California?

    Please let me know further steps in completing my Degree and Credit hours evaluation process.


    Satish Iyer


  • Maria Haseeb says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Im from Pakistan and plan on pursuing CPA license in the near future. I have completed my ACCA and while I know that ACCA is not recognised as equivalent to the academic requirement. However as per the Higher Education Commission(HEC) in Pakistan it is equivalent to Master of Commerce (MCOM) in Pakistan. If I get the equivalency of M COM from Pakistan will it support my education requirement?
    Additionally, I don’t have a separate bachelors degree but i can apply for Bsc honours in accounting. However in an earlier reply you have mentioned that since that is a part of my ACCA it probably won’t be considered as a separate degree so is that a better option then the

    I will be grateful if you could provide some guidance as to how many credit hours i might get and what other options i could pursue to get the remaining required hours.


  • Carrie Daniel says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I’ve looked all over, is there somewhere I can self-audit my transcripts to see if I qualify to sit for my CPA? Basically, if I can enter in all the accounting classes I’ve taken, to see if it counts toward the 30 credit requirement (ie Finance for Business, Tax Accounting, Tax Accounting lab). Thank you in advance for the assistance you offer in this thread!!

  • Chinju Thomas says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am from India. I have gotten NASBA to evaluate my education and this was their response.
    “Based of the education your have submitted you have the equivalence of a four-year baccalaureate degree and graduate study from a regionally accredited university in the United States and a total of 144.5 semester credits.”

    Does my remaining 6 credits need to be accounting/subject related?

    Thanks for your advice!

  • Ismail says:

    I got my degree evaluated from the registered evaluator from the USA. They assigned me 123 USA semester credit hours. I have 10 years accounting experience. My question would I be eligible CPA or I need to full fill the 150 credit hours requirement. Kindly advise

  • Mohit says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    Good day!

    I have completed a Bachelor’s degree( from India. I have applied for an evaluation through NIES for Montana state. As per the report, I have a shortfall of roughly 5 Accounting Credits to be eligible to write the CPA exam in Montana.

    i would like to know if the accounting courses offered by UNA will be accepted by NIES and help me cover up my shortfall.

    It would be really helpful if you could provide some guidance on the above matter.

    Thank you for your time!

  • Nika McClure says:

    I just migrated to the US (New York) from Jamaica, where I have a degree in International Relations with a minor in Accounts. In my minor i did two Financial Accounts courses, Managerial Accounts, Business Law and Auditing. The university back home is a 90 credits hours university but I did do exams before starting university which would be equivalent to an Associate Degree. I would like to know if the Associate Degree is not approved and cannot be used to make up to the 120 credit hours what options are there for me to get the other 30 credit hours?

    2. If the some courses are accepted from the Associate Degree what options do I have to make up what is not approved?

  • Karun says:

    I immigrated from Mumbai, India on August 2014. I did two years of B.Com from University of Mumbai before transferring to UT-Arlington in Texas. When I transferred, I had 96 credit hours transferred to UT-Arlington out of which 12 credit hours actually transferred to my BBA-Accounting degree. I was wondering how this would effect my chances of attaining the 150 credit hour requirement. My understanding is that after I get my BBA-Accounting at UT-Arlington, I will have 120 credit hours and I already have the 30 out of the 96 credit hours to reach 150 ( or 84 as 12 credits were transferred to my major). I just need to take an Ethics class and an accounting research class in order to be eligible. Am I correct?

  • Jyoti says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I am planning to give BEC in August, however I have material from 2014. I was wondering if there are significant changes in examination material. i am planning to but MCQ from one of the leaders like Wiley or Roger. Can you please let me know if I also should buy the whole new material for it.


  • amir says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I really appreciate what are you doing, cause it’s very hard to come across a credible source of information that is comprehensive & detailed as yours! Grateful I found you.

    I have four years (eight semesters) BSc in banking and finance, thou the focus was in banking and finance but we had accounting in all of the eight semesters.

    Plus, I have a master in finance (one year, full time).
    Please, what are my chances?

    Note* about to complete CMA. Working in public accounting.


  • Uday Kumar says:

    Hi I just wanted to know one thing that I have completed my BCom from one of accredited colleges in India and I want to pursue my M.Com degree from the same University through distance education and also want to tell you that I was placed in one of the big four accounting firms so if I complete my M com through distance education will it be taken into consideration for the credit hours calculation please help me out

  • han says:

    I just finished my bachelor’s degree with accounting minor in US but I still need two more accounting courses (6 units). However, I have already in China now and could you recommend me some program that I can take at home to satisfy the CPA requirement.
    Thank you

  • Harold says:

    HI Stephanie,

    I’m not sure if you still check this article but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask. I have a 4-year degree that is not business related but I am currently about to write the Canadian CPA exam (Canadian CPA requires completion of 2 years worth of accounting/finance coursework through the CPA institute). I also currently work for a big 4 firm. I was wondering if I would be eligible to also write the CPA exam in California and obtain licensure after becoming a licensed CPA in Canada? In other words, would the fact that I do not have a business-related 4 year degree prevent me from sitting for the exam in California?


  • Amitkumar Patel says:


    I have passed CPA exam from Colorado in 2012. I recently applied for CPA license from Colorado. I received following comments.

    The following deficiencies have been found:

    • Lacks (6) semester hours in Auditing which must include a (3) semester hour, or more, course concentrating on U.S. GAAS with a grade of (C) 2.0 or higher
    • Lacks (3) semester hours in Accounting Ethics with a grade of (C) 2.0 or higher
    • Lacks (3) semester hours in business, technical, or accounting communications above the introductory level

    Please help me to find the course which can help to overcome them.

    Just to let you know, I am based in India. I have and Chartered Accountant degree. (Chartered Accountant is not considered now for Colorado).


    • AbrahamG says:

      Hello Amit,

      Good day, were you able to complete the additional requirements as pointed out by Colorado licensing. I too am in the same boat and would like to obtain your feedback on how you addressed the deficiency. Many thanks.

  • Kunal Dhama says:

    I am kunal, I am from INDIA.
    I have completed my years) plus 1 year Post Graduation Diploma in Banking and right now pursuing in Banking and insurance. I just wanted to know whether I can enroll in CPA course or not?? If NO, please provide me some guidance in this regard.If yes, please explain me the procedure.


    Dear Sir,

    I am just short of 4 hours with 146 hours already in my basket – I shall thank you for your helpful clues and guidance

  • NL says:


    Thank you for sharing this article. I have a Bachelors in Accounting and started a Master’s program but was unable to continue nor reenter the program. I have earned some credits for the Master’s program and would like to continue to qualify for the CPA and continue my education. What would you recommend should I should take courses just to meet the 150 credit hours or restart a program at a university and shoot for the 30 credits all over again?

  • Vikram Bhardwaj says:

    Hi Steph,

    I am in Australia. I hold a 3 years bachelor degree in Arts from India. I also did Advanced Diploma of Accounting from Australian government institute. I was pursuing Msc in Information Technology and did not complete the degree (Completed only one year of study). I had applied for Advisory Report from NASBA and they have advised me as below :

    Degree Requirement: Bachelor Degree or Higher- NOT SATISFIED
    Total Credits: 116.5 of 150 credits- NOT SATISFIED
    Accounting Credits: 15.75 of 24 credits- NOT SATISFIED
    Business Administration Credits: 33.25 of 24 credits- Satisfied

    Could you please advise me how can I complete the remaining credits. If there are some online courses which I can go for?

    Please advise.

    Thanking you.

    Vikram Bhardwaj

  • Ruth says:


    I am Ruth from Nigeria, I had a 4-year bachelor degree majorly in accounting and 150credit hours now in the Maryland, USA but not a US citizen. I really wanna be a CPA because being an accountant had been my dream. How do I go about it?
    I would appreciate your response as soon as possible.
    Thanks in anticipation.

    B. Regards

  • Deepthi says:

    I recently pass CPA from Alaska. i required 6 more credit points in economics. Kindly suggest me some online courses.

  • Aika says:


    I am a CA resident, and I plan on taking the CPA Exam. I graduated BS Accountancy (a 5-year course) in the Philippines, so I am currently processing my documents for evaluation here. With regards to the CPA Exam, will it be difficult for me to pass FAR and AUD, considering our Accounting and Auditing Standards are adapted from IASs/IFRSs and ISAs? Also, my main problem is the REG, will a review course be enough for me to learn the taxation and business laws here and pass the exam?

    I am hoping for your kind consideration of my query. Your response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

    Best regards,

  • Danielle Billings says:


    Thank you for creating such an informative website. Despite reading numerous articles and forums, I am still unclear as to the best path to take in order to become a CPA. My husband is a 9th grade earth science teacher. He was a biology major and currently holds a bachelor of science. He has no credits in business or accounting but would really like to become an accountant.

    We reside in Virginia and are wondering what the fastest and cheapest option is for him to become a CPA? He was a strong undergraduate student, with a GPA 3.85 and has an aptitude for math. Although enrolling in a part-time online program would be ideal, we could afford for him to be full-time as I am a physician assistant.

    Your advice as to the best course of action would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again for your time!

  • Matthew Ackermna says:

    Hello I am a current junior at saint josephs university. I will have 24 hours of accounting courses to that. I would be getting 123 credits from there. so I need 27 more extra, one I got for a music course at my community college. I will be taking clep courses to finish the 8 classes. Could I possibly take the college mathematics for that and also do I have to send it over to sju, or just testing center?

  • Shwetha says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    my state board (NJ) told me that i am short 30 credits (General). I do have the required accounting credits. From the above comments, i understand these 30 can be non-degree (Cooking, language, physiology etc.).. Are there any good online courses you can recommend?

  • Barb says:

    Hello, I have finished a Bachelor in Business and Leadership in 2008 with 130 credits. I have been working in Accounting ever since. I am very interested in getting my CPA. Would my credits be transferred if it has been 10 years or do these expire? I know I would have to take the extra accounting classes.

    Thank you.

  • Sophie says:

    Hi Stephanie, First of all thanks for the amazing work you do with this site! We would all be so lost without you!
    I have a couple of questions:
    1. I have a US degree but need to get the extra credit hours required to add up to total of 150. Can these be in any subject? If I can pass the CPA first, I can land a job in my country of residence.
    2. Are the credit hours necessary to even sit for the exam?
    3. Also I am not a US citizen. Which state license should I pursue? Does getting a NY license mean I cannot work in CA? How does it work?

  • Navin says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I read few of your above suggestions and comments. They are so helpful.

    Recently, VA CPA emailed me to get an additional 25 general semester hours of coursework, from any subject and any level to sit for the CPA exam. I have completed a total of 95 semester hours of 120 hours.

    I need advice on what to study to get the 25 credits (anything which will help in the CPA classes/exams or MBA in Accounting & Finance), how long will it take approx. to get the credits?the best way, so I can have 25 credit, study CPA and complete CPA exams.

    I am an ACCA from UK / according to VA I have completed the Degree, Accounting and Business requirement. I work in VA/DC


    • Aishwarya Gaikwad says:


      Did u get any answer as to which course can be taken?
      I have the same problem and not able to find sutiable college.
      Please help.
      Thank you.

  • Meghana says:

    Hello Stephanie,

    I am in the process of applying CPA license from the state of Colorado. I have received an email stating that I have the following deficiencies. Can you please suggest if I should just take few courses at local college or go for a masters degree

    Lacks (3) semester hours in Auditing concentrating on U.S. GAAS. “Concentrating on U.S. GAAS” means that any course content referencing non-U.S. standards is incidental to the course.
    Lacks (3) semester hours in Accounting Ethics with a grade of (C) 2.0 or higher.
    Lacks (3) semester hours in business, technical, or accounting communications above the introductory level

    Thank you for your help.

    • AbrahamG says:

      Good day, were you able to complete the additional requirements as pointed out by Colorado licensing. I too am in the same boat and would like to obtain your feedback on how you addressed the deficiency. Many thanks.

  • Aishwarya Gaikwad says:


    As you all have commented below, I have the same problem.
    I am a student from India, applying for CPA exam. I have got in total of 97 credit points and need 25 more to sit for the exam. Can some one please suggest some college where i can cover up those points as soon as possible.

    Thanks in advance.

  • Satish says:

    would the IRS Enrolled agent certification can help you to fetch some credits for meeting 150 hr credits CPA?

  • sharafeldin says:

    I have my & from India. Nagpur University, and. I live in the Qatar. And I am planning to take CPA exam in Gulf Countries.
    I want to evaluate my Indian certificates. More ever I am willing to give exam for CPA each part separately.
    Kindly mention which Board can I apply through it

  • Sarath says:

    I have completed my B.Com from Calicut University in India . Its a 3 year degree. Does it meet the 150 hr requirement? Where can I check it? If it does not what are the other options that are available to me?

  • Heather Edwards says:

    Are you aware of any accounting classes that provide 1.5 credit hours?

    • Meghan D says:

      Hello, no I haven’t seen that credit hour course before (not saying it doesn’t exist). But it doesn’t sound common; most accounting courses give you between 3-4 credit hours.

  • >