Utah’s educational requirement is pretty strict — not only that you need 150 credit hours, a lot of upper-division and graduate courses in accounting and business are required.
Working experience is relatively flexible with one year of public or non-public accounting experience.
Utah CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
Candidates should fulfill 150 credit hours and ONE of the following:
(a) Graduate degree in accounting
- You are automatically qualified.
(b) Graduate degree in business
- Accounting courses:
- 24 semester hours in undergraduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting; OR
- 15 semester hours in graduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting; OR
- Equivalent combination.
(c) Undergraduate degree in accounting or business
- 16 semester hours in upper-division courses, including at least two hours for each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting.
- 8 hours of graduate accounting courses, including at least 1 hour for each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting.
- 12 hours in upper-division business (non-accounting) courses.
- 12 hours of graduate level business courses.
- Another 12 hours of either upper-division or graduate accounting or business courses.
(d) Undergraduate degree
- If you get enough accounting and business credits you could be qualified. Please take a look at this page from NASBA for details.
- There is a educational requirement checklist and a pre-evaluation service
- Every 2 graduate credit hours earned at accredited institutions recognized by the Board will be considered to be equal to 3 undergraduate credit hours.
2. Additional Utah CPA Requirements for the License
- No additional requirement.
- 1 year (2,000 hours) of accounting experience — public or non-public accounting is fine.
- Must be supervised by a licensed CPA
3. Utah CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required.
- Utah residency not required.
- Minimum age: none.
- Social security number is required at least for licensure.
- First-timers: $774 + application fee.
*** Special note on NTS***
Please note that unlike most states, NTS approved by Utah State Board is valid for 9 months counting from the date of NTS issuance. For details, please refer to the CPA exam application guide below.
5. Continuing Education
CPE is required for license holders. Please click here for Utah CPA CPE requirements.
6. Useful Information
Utah Board of Accountancy
P.O. Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (801) 530-6628
- Fax: (801) 530-6511
What if the Utah CPA Requirements don’t Work?
Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment below, or visit my Facebook page.