Utah CPA Requirements (Rules on Exam and Licensing)

Utah CPA requirementsUtah’s educational requirement is pretty strict — not only that you need 150 credit hours, a lot of upper-division and graduate courses in accounting and business are required.

Working experience is relatively flexible with one year of public or non-public accounting experience.

Utah CPA Requirements

1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam

Candidates should fulfill 150 credit hours and ONE of the following:

(a) Graduate degree in accounting

  • You are automatically qualified.

(b) Graduate degree in business

  • Accounting courses:
    • 24 semester hours in undergraduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting; OR
    • 15 semester hours in graduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting; OR
    • Equivalent combination.

(c) Undergraduate degree in accounting or business

  • 16 semester hours in upper-division courses, including at least two hours for each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting.
  • 8 hours of graduate accounting courses, including at least 1 hour for each of the following: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting.
  • 12 hours in upper-division business (non-accounting) courses.
  • 12 hours of graduate level business courses.
  • Another 12 hours of either upper-division or graduate accounting or business courses.

(d) Undergraduate degree

  • If you get enough accounting and business credits you could be qualified. Please take a look at this page from NASBA for details.

Special Note:

  • There is a educational requirement checklist and a pre-evaluation service
  • Every 2 graduate credit hours earned at accredited institutions recognized by the Board will be considered to be equal to 3 undergraduate credit hours.

2. Additional Utah CPA Requirements for the License


  • No additional requirement.

Work Experience

  • 1 year (2,000 hours) of accounting experience — public or non-public accounting is fine.
  • Must be supervised by a licensed CPA

Ethics Qualification

3. Utah CPA Requirements on Residency & Age

  • US citizenship not required.
  • Utah residency not required.
  • Minimum age: none.
  • Social security number is required at least for licensure.

4. Fees

  • First-timers: $774 + application fee.

*** Special note on NTS***

Please note that unlike most states, NTS approved by Utah State Board is valid for 9 months counting from the date of NTS issuance. For details, please refer to the CPA exam application guide below.

5. Continuing Education

CPE is required for license holders. Please click here for Utah CPA CPE requirements.

6. Useful Information

7. Contact

Utah Board of Accountancy
P.O. Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741

  • Email: cpaes-ut@nasba.org
  • Phone: (801) 530-6628
  • Fax: (801) 530-6511

What if the Utah CPA Requirements don’t Work?

Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:

If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment below, or visit my Facebook page.

About the Author Stephanie Ng

I am the author of How to Pass The CPA Exam (published by Wiley) and the publisher of this and several accounting professional exam prep sites

follow me on:
  • Gabby says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    Thank you very much for this website first. As it is really so helpful. I came from China and got my bachelor down in China and Mater down in Australia. I just move to US 1 months ago as my husband is here. Basically, I have no idea of AICPA until i saw your web and be able to get to know so much about the whole cpa system in such a short time. and now I want to get my CPA here in UTAH, and i know what i am supposed to do step-by-step in general. But i still have several questions as followed.

    1. From your foreign credential evaluation web, I decide to choose FACS. They said they will send the evaluation report to my state directly and another copy to me. I want to apply after i receive my copy so that to make sure i am qualified at least on my education part, which means the state will get my report 4-6 days earlier before i apply and send all other documents. Is that ok? Will the state keep my report even before i apply?

    2. I look into both NASBA ( Utah) and Utah Division of Occupational and Professional licensing( DOPL) websites. But in DOPL, it asks ‘Submit documentation of your passing the AICPA Professional Ethics for CPAs Exam’ and ‘t an original letter from DOPL’s approved examination provider verifying your passing score on the Utah Law and Rules Examination’. But on NASBA, it only asks for my transcripts, application form, evaluation report. Do I need to worry about DOPL? It is different from just applying cpaexams and sit on that 4 subjects right? I don’ti need to worry about DOPL before i pass those 4-subjects, right?

    3. I get my bachelor in China with degree of Mathematics, and get my Master of accounting ( Professional) in australia which is one and a half year degree, do you think i would be able to qualified on the education requirements?

    4. on Thiswayto cpa web, it says SSN is necessary and one year experience is also required, but on NASBA(Utah), it didn’t ask for that as well. I just confused, do I need those? or Can i be qualified to even sit on the exam? Well, I am applying for the SSN and green card now, but I really want to get fully-informed so that after SSN and green card, I can get everything settle down efficiently. I have worked in Australia for half year as an accountant, but I don’t know whether i can use this or not.

    I know I ask so many questions, but I am really struggling in all these stuff. I am so appreciate for the website you build no matter what. and I will be so grateful if you could give me some suggestions on my questions. Thank you very much.


    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Gabby, thanks for your note. On SSN at least, I did see that for licensing you need SSN. Try Illinois, Montana, Guam and Colorado and see if it works for you.

      Many of these states ask for upper-division courses and it will depend on the number of accounting courses you have in your masters to get qualified.

      For Chinese candidates, I would say look into Guam first, especially i you have a masters in accounting.

      Good luck!

  • >