Pennsylvania CPA Requirements (Rules on Exam and Licensing)

Pennsylvania cpa requirementsPennsylvania does not require 150 semester hours of educational requirements to sit for the exam, but the full 150 hours are needed to obtain the CPA license.

Pennsylvania CPA Requirements

1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam

  • Bachelor degree or above.
  • 24 credit hours of accounting courses, including accounting and auditing, business law, finance or tax subjects of a content satisfactory to the board, not necessarily as a part of your undergraduate work.

2. Additional Pennsylvania CPA Requirements to Get the License


  • 150 credit hours from an accredited university or educational institution.
  • 24 credit hours of accounting and auditing, business law, finance or tax subjects of a content satisfactory to the board.
  • additional 24 credit hours in accounting, auditing and tax subjects of a content satisfactory to the board, not necessarily as part of the individual’s undergraduate or graduate work.

Note: the PA State board refers the CPA license as the “CPA certificate”. This is not to be confused with the CPA certificates available in two-tier states.

Work Experience

(Based on the amended requirements “Act 15” effective August 2013)

  • 150-credit candidates must complete one year (1,600 hours) of work experience through employment in government, industry, academia, or public practice within 5 years of the date of certification application.
  • The experience must be verified by an individual who is currently licensed to practice public accounting as a CPA in Pennsylvania or another state.

*Launched in Apr 2016* The NASBA Experience Verification service is now available to those who do not have access to an active U.S. CPA for verification.

Ethics Qualification

  • None required.

3. Pennsylvania CPA Requirements on Residency & Age

  • US citizenship not required but Social security number is required
  • State residency: none
  • Minimum age: 18

4. Fees

  • First-timers: $774 + application fee

5. Continuing Education

CPE is required for license holders. Please click here for Pennsylvania CPA CPE requirements.

6. Other Useful Information

7. Contact

Pennsylvania State Board of Accountancy
P.O. Box 2649,
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649

Physical address

One Penn Center, 2601 N. 3rd Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110

  • Email:,
  • Phone: (717) 783-1404
  • Fax: (717) 705-5540

What to do if Pennsylvania CPA Requirements don’t Work?

Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:

If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment below, or visit my Facebook page.

About the Author Stephanie Ng

I am the author of How to Pass The CPA Exam (published by Wiley) and the publisher of this and several accounting professional exam prep sites

follow me on:
  • Subbarao Seethamsetty says:


    I live in PA (for the last 1.5 years) but have a travelling job. Where can I get the eligibility requirements for PA CPA license.

    I also do not have 150 credit hours and have an engineering degree with very little accounting. My job now is all finance and accounting.

    Appreciate any advise on how I should go about it. Also, NY is very accessible to me and also Canada because of my job.

    • Stephanie says:

      Hello, I have included more info on PA California CPA exam requirements that you may find helpful.
      First of all, are you a resident? (I am asking because you seem to be travelling a lot). PA only allows residents to get their CPA license.

      But good news for you is that they don’t require the 150 credit hours but you’ll have to have 2 years of accounting experience (by the time you finish the exam, should reach the 2 years). Please do check whether your boss can verify your experience, i.e. whether they are ACTIVE CPA licensee (see difference between CPA certificate vs license).

      The other 2 states that allow <150 semester hours are: California and Delaware (see links above)

      For the issue with little accounting, you can get it via community colleges (which thankfully PA allows) or even online courses -- but there might be restriction on online courses so please check.

      By the way, if your goal is NOT to become an auditor in PA (like, just to enhance your credentials, since you are in the finance field), then you are free to register in other states but still take the exam in PA.

      One last point: I think you can forget about Canada because apparently you need to work in a public accounting firm to be qualified for the Chartered Accountants.

      Hope it helps -- please post again if I can be of further assistance. stephanie

  • mili says:

    I am living in Pennsylvania and i am on h4 visa.
    Am i eligible for cpa exam.

    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Mili,
      Am I correct that H4 visa holders don’t have a social security number? Generally there is no problem sitting for the exam, BUT you’ll need to double check whether the licensing requires a social security number. For example, for California, you must have a SSN to get the license.

      Even though you live in PA you can register the CPA exam through other states. So please see which states suit you and you can always come back for further questions. Stephanie

  • Kinjan says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I been through all your comments and answers, everything is really helpful. I am planning to give my CPA exam for PA.

    I have following questions, i would really appreciate your help:

    1) PA requires 24 accounting credits, does that mean any account subjects will be consider or i have to have 24 credits from each accounting, tax, finance, auditing subjects?

    2) I have confusion with CPA scores certificate, Once i pass the CPA Exam and get the CPA scores certificate. Does CPA scores certificate equal to CPA certificate?

    Looking forward for your response back.
    Thank you ,

    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Kinjan,
      Thanks for your kind note! According to the CPA exam application form for PA, for the 24 credit hours of general accounting, you will need:
      * 3 semester hours in general accounting, and
      * 3 semester hours in either auditing, business law, finance or taxation.
      * the remaining eighteen (18) semester hours may include any combination of accounting, audit, tax,
      business law and finance.

      I assume that you have a bachelor degree. For master’s degree please refer to the application form p. 2 (click the link above for access)

      Not sure if you mean by “score certificate”… if you mean the congratulatory letter or the email/note that tells you the score, no this is NOT equal to the CPA certificate. You will have to fulfill the working requirements (see Point 2 above) to get the CPA license.

      Cheers, Stephanie

  • Manu says:

    I am on H4 visa and cleared 4 papers of CPA exam from New Hamshire board of Accountancy. I want to know the following for NH …
    1) As i am on H4 visa and not allowed to work. Is my voluntary work to any public accounting company taken as CPA Candidates Public Accounting Experience Reporting Form Reference RSA 309-B 5 IX ( as per their website).
    2) As i am on H4 visa what to do to meet the requirement to write CPA after my name?

    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Manu,
      How many credit hours do you get? If you have 150+ hours it might be better to transfer your credits to Illinois to save the hassle on the working experience requirement. They allow non-SSN holders to get the CPA certificate.

      I actually don’t know whether voluntary work will count in New Hampshire but I can check it for you. For general New Hampshire CPA licensing requirements please click on the link. Stephanie

  • Alex says:

    Hi, Stephanie, I would like to know,
    1. PA requires 3 Moral Character References, 1 CPA, other 2 not CPA, who needs to know me for the past 3 years. I just moved here in 2009. I have not known a CPA, and all my co-workers only know me for 2 year. Can I write a statement for the situation and still be qualified to take the exam?

    2. If I have a Master Degree (24 credits) and pass the exams. Do I still need to meet the 150 credit requirement for getting the license?

    3. For the work experence requirement. Is there a time limit for it? My current supervisor is not CPA, in the following 3-5 years, I may not change job. If I did not meet the work experience in a certain time, does it mean my passed exam will expire and I need to take them again?

    Thank you so much.

    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Alex,
      I saw your other follow-up post – does it mean that you have got the answers? If not just let me know. Cheers, Stephanie

  • Laura says:


    I was just wondering what happens if your work experience is spread across two different firms? How do you indicate that in the experience verification application?


    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Laura,
      This is not a problem at all — in the working experience verification form there are spaces for you to fill in multiple firms. You will just need to ask the respective supervisors to endorse it for you and you are go to good. Cheers, Stephanie

  • Amy says:


    I live in NJ and graduated college in PA. I also do not have 150 credit hours and have an Information System degree with accounting minor.

    In order for me to sit CPA exam for PA, I need to take 6 more semester hours of accounting classes. Can I take online courses from U Of Phoenix to complete the requirements or school must be from PA?

    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Amy,
      If you click on the link “Pennsylvania CPA exam application form and procedure for first-timers” above, you will see on p.3 that online courses anywhere are allowed as long as they are accredited. So school not necessarily from PA.

      UoP is good to go. I have also written an article on getting extra credit. Please see if it is of any help.


  • Alex says:

    Hi, Stephanie,

    Thank you for your follow up. Sorry for the late reply. Recently, too busy to buy all the testbooks and other things like that. Yes, I find the answer to my questions. I would like to list them below in order to help anyone who has same questions as I do. Stephanie, please correct me if I am wrong:

    1. For the 3 references: the agent told me that a statement with reasonal explaination is acceptable, according to our conversation, seems that they care more about the education requirement. As long as you have 3 references, and a reasonable statement explainning why you do not have a CPA reference or why they know you less than 3 years. (In my case, I just moved here two years ago)

    2. For the 150 credits for license: as long as I passed one exam before 2012.01.01, not required, a qualified master degree is enough for getting the license.

    3. For the work experience: 1 or 2 years experience (the education background varies) supervised by a CPA in the following 10 years is OK, ONLY IF I pass at least one exam before 2012.01.01. If no exam is passed before 2012.01.01, then the time range changes from the following 10 years to the following 5 years.

    I sent out the application by the end of Sep. Not get the NTS yet, but I hope it is just a matter of time. Stephanie, please let us know whether all the information above is correct.

    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Alex,
      Thanks very much for taking the time to share your finding with all of us. Very kind of you! Yes the info looks correct to me.

      By the way, typically it takes 4-8 weeks (mostly 6 weeks) for state boards to send the NTS to candidates. So no worries you are still within the waiting period so to speak… all the best to your exam! stephanie

  • Grazyna says:

    “The experience can be in public or non-public accounting but has to be supervised and verfied by an active CPA licensee.”
    Stephanie, does above statement apply to PA? where can I veify that info? I’m am ready to sit for the CPA, have a lot of corporate accounting experience (supervised under active CPA licensee) but never worked for a public accounting firm.

    • Stephanie says:

      Hello Grazyna,
      This page is specifically for PA so yes, non-public accounting experience should work. For your own double checking you can click on the link “PA CPA licensing form and information” above.


  • Satpal says:

    Hello Stephnie,
    I have BS in computer sci and MBA. I did learn that for CPA candidate should have 24 semester hrs of Accounting. I have accounting one, Managerial accounting, int’l business law and Finance managment in healthcare. but have no courses in Tax or Auditing. Can I sit for CPA.

    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Satpal,
      I would think tax at least is a must for the qualification. You can still sit for the CPA exam by either taking extra courses somewhere, or try another state.
      Just let me know if you have further questions. Stephanie

  • Alex says:

    Hi, Stephanie,

    Long time no see. I took the BEC on 11/30/10, which means all the application information I provide should be correct. Hope that it helps future fellows.


  • yumi says:

    I live in PA now. I passed the CPA exam through the Maine state.
    I don’t have any experience yet and I have H4 visa now. I wanna transfer to Pennsylvania. Actually, Maine state was not required about any accounting credits. So, I don’t have accounting credits. But I have Master degree and +150 credits in chemistry and biology. How can I do transfer to PA?

  • Rachel says:

    I haven’t received a notification for signing up.

  • Linda says:

    Stephanie – I obtained my Accounting Degree (undergrad) in Dec 1989. I sat for the exam a few times, but never completed it due to heavy travel. It is now 20+ years of experience and I’m thinking of going for it again. I know that I can not use the parts passed previously and I must start over again, but does it also mean the whole “1st time” application process?

  • Hemali Shah says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have done my Chartered Accountancy (CA) and have Masters degree in Business Administration (MBA) from India.

    I am shifting to PA in Feb 2011 on H4 visa. I am planning to appear for CPA from PA. Can you please suggest if I should apply from PA or any other state? Also need your guidance on which is the best evaluation agency.

    Thanking you in anticipation of your prompt response.


  • Moe says:

    I’m looking for guidance on what qualifies as a “Finance” credit in the PA CPA exam process. I am planning on returning to the work force next year and taking the first exam next fall (to get in under the deadline for changing requirements). In preparation, I have been busy refreshing my 15 year old acounting courses. I will probably be a couple credits shy of the required 24 credit hr at the end of this semester. So I’ve been scouring my BA transcripts to see what, if anything, will fill the gap. I have Intro to Finance credits from my first degree (under grad business school). Would this qualify? I’ve searched all the PA board sites, to no avail. Can you point me in the right direction??

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  • Satpal Singh says:

    Hello Stephanie,
    I live in PA state and thinking to take CPA exam from Ohio state. Is there be any problem to get a job or practice in PA? Please educate me in this matter.

  • Satpal Singh says:

    Hello Stephanie,
    I am just learning about CPA Licensing. There are 4 parts. I believe I read here that someone can take all these 4 parts in steps. Am I right that once a person pass all 4 parts then he/she will get the license ?What is the best approach to study. Please guide me. Thanks

  • Ryan B says:

    Hello. I am a recent grad with an accounting degree. I only have 11 months of accounting experience but was thinking about taking the CPA exam before the rules change in 2012…… I was wondering how long after I pass the CPA exam do I have to fufill the work experience requirements????

    Thank You

  • Meghan says:

    Hello! I’m working on sitting for my CPA exams now and going on interviews for accounting jobs. Am I able to work for a non-accounting firm that does accounting, and work for a CPA somewhere else at the same time to meet the work experience requirements, or does this affect independence? I would prefer to just work for CPA firm but few are hiring around here at the moment; I figured working in an accounting department will help me gain some experience to get hired at one later.

  • Stephanie says:

    Hi Meghan,

    Smart idea!

    Not sure which state you are going to / have applied for the CPa exam, but I would say at least half of the states recognize non-public accounting experience — so your non-accounting firm that does accounting is perfectly fine (e.g. Pennsylvania is fine with that), as long as **important** that you work under a licensed CPA.

    Even for states that only recognizes public accounting…

    Well, I think most states recognize “part time” working experience but they might have a clause that states something like you have to get X number of hours within X years. So you will have to see if that would work.

    And please note that some state only recognizes full time working experience in which case this strategy won’t work as well.

    Hope i help to point you to the right direction. Good luck! Stephanie

    • Stephanie says:

      Dear all,
      I order to make this comment section more useful to the rest of the readers, I would like to redirect your questions to these pages:

      1. For state specific questions (including specific state’ qualification and licensing rules):
      Please go to CPA exam requirements by state, click on the state you are interested in, and add a comment there.

      2. For general questions from international candidates:
      Please check out this page written for you first, and click away / leave comments from there!

      Finally, if you have a question specifically for Pennsylvania CPA exam requirements, then please scroll back up and find the heading “Your comments are most welcome” and drop a note for me there. Thanks!


  • DDS says:


    I have passed all 4 exams in 2006 from PA. I am now thinking of applying for a license in 2015 as I have now met the work experience requirement. To apply for license in PA now, what do I need? Do I have to be a resident of PA now? Can I then transfer my license to any other state? What if I no longer have my permanent residence in PA? Can you please email me? Many thanks.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi DDS, I don’t run a business here so I won’t email readers to provide an answer. For special case like this, it is best for you to contact the PA state board directly. Regards, Stephanie

  • Hashmi says:

    I have few question. I hope you can help me. Following are my questions:

    1. I received my NTS in 2013 and sat for BEC exam in Nov of 2013. I failed and never sat for exam again. Do I need to get new NTS ( and establish my requirements to sit for an exam again) and how can I schedule for exam again?

    2. I work as a controller now but my supervisor is not a CPA. I gained qualified experience under active CPA in Pennsylvania from 2011 to 2013. Till when I can use that experience to get CPA license. For example if I pass all parts of uniform CPA exam in 2017 can I use my qualified experience that I gained from 2011 through 2013?

    3. My supervisor during 2011 till 2013 was an active CPA license holder in PA, but she is retired now and does not have an active CPA license anymore. Can she still verify my work experience?

    I will really appreciate if I can get above clarifications.



    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Hashmi,
      1. Yes you do need to get a NTS but as a repeat candidate you generally don’t need to go through all the troubles. Having said that, since it is 2 years back I am not sure if your state board still keeps your record though. Please check with them.

      2. Yes you should be able to use your 2011-2013 experience as long as you can get your ex-boss’ signature.

      3. As long as she is active during the time you worked under her, it’s counted.

      Good luck Hashmi, stay super persistent and you can make it this time! Stephanie


  • Aimee says:

    Hello there,
    After researching on the internet and also reading your post. I am still confusing and not sure if i am qualify to sit down for the exam. I just graduated from college this year with BA degree in Accounting. I don’t have much job experience in accounting field. Am I require to sit down for the exam? And the part that I don’t understand is 24 credits hours of accounting courses, including accounting and auditing, BA law. Are that 24 hours include in my BA degree? B/c I remembered took those courses in my college to able to graduated with BA degree. Thank you! I am first time taking CPA, so I am totally lost.

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Aimee, if you graduate from an accounting program in PA, you should be able to take the exam in PA without problem (because most likely your accounting program is designed based on that). It is best to check with your school first.

      In any case, I am quite sure the accounting, audit, law courses taken at school can be counted. The state boards don’t necessarily require you to take extra courses esp if you are already an accounting major. Regards, Stephanie

  • Suman Sahoo says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have been reading all of your blogs and i should say it is very well explained and helped lot of CPA aspirants.

    I am a CPA aspirant and I do have some query regarding my CPA education evaluation.

    Let me give you a brief educational/work experience back ground of myself.

    – I have done my BBA (General Management), MBA (Marketing) from India with very less accounting subjects. Probably less than 24 credit or semester hours.
    – I have close to 6 years of experience in Public Accounting Firm in Tax domain. (3 years in EY and 3 Years in Grant Thornton).
    – I work as a Senior Associate and I am directly working under an active CPA now ever since I have moved to US ( Moved on Dec 2014)
    – I am based out of Philadelphia, PA since Dec 2014 and planning to stay in the US till Sept, 2017.
    – I am active Enrolled Agent.
    – I am on H1B VISA with SSN and filed US Tax (1040 NR in the 1st year and 1040 in the second) return for the last 2 years.

    Now coming back to my question, I am in real confusion about my deficit hours in Accounting and which is the most suitable state to apply CPA from.

    Accounting Hours – What subjects consists of 24 accounting hours ? Is Business law, Financial Management considered as an Accounting subjects ?

    Accountancy Board – Can I apply for Pennsylvania state board as I have stayed here for more than 1.5 year and filed PA state return as well or please suggest any other board. What exactly means by state resident ? Any limitations on the staying period in a state ?

    Please let me know if you have any questions.


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hello Suman, sounds like you aren’t that off with your accounting credits if it is slightly fewer than 24 credit hours. Most are ok with 24 credit hours.

      And if this is the only bottle neck, you can try getting them through community colleges nearby or with online classes. I have a few suggestions here:

      I believe you are fine as a state resident in PA because you work there full time. But to make sure you can email PA state board directly. If you plan to work in that office for a while, it is best to go through PA state board.

      Best of luck! Feel free to come back any time with more questions. Stephanie

  • Kamna Kanesh says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    First of all, I want to thank you for providing such informative blogs. They are to the point and answer all questions a person preparing for CPA would think of. I have been visiting your website since I started my journey of CPA in January 2015 and to tell you that your notes helped me a lot with studies and I prepared my own notes following your way of writing them. I thought my email has been unsubscribed from your mailing list as I did not receive any emails recently but I had your endorsement email saved for this time (If you remember, I did email you regarding the endorsement on Linkedin page) and I am happy to inform you that the time has come and I have passed all exams. I passed my last CPA exam a month ago and now heading towards to the last E(xperience) of being CPA to get the license as my other 2 Es (Education and Examination) are complete.

    I live in Williamsport, PA and now planning to apply for jobs. I have few queries regarding the working experience requirements in PA as follows:

    1. How do I mention about passing the CPA exams (no license yet) on my resume / Linkedin profile? Do we need to mention when we passed them or also the score?

    2. Does internship count towards the experience requirements?

    3. It says that our experience should be verified by an active CPA but does not mention anything about being that CPA our direct supervisor, so does that mean I can work anywhere and any active CPA can verify my work even though I havn’t worked with or under him/her? and does that CPA need to be resident of PA?

    I would appreciate if you can answer my questions.

    Kamna Kanesh

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Kamna, sorry to have missed your note. On your questions:
      1. Yes I would definitely mention the passing of the CPA exam on your resume. If you get a high score (near or over 90) I would put the score in; otherwise passing is good enough to show that you are “CPA ready” i.e. only need experience to get the license. It’s helpful especially if you look for public accounting job.

      2. Usually no for internships, but it depends on your state. It’s worth checking out.

      3. Each state has a slightly different interpretation and yes if they don’t mention the verifier must be a supervisor, you could potentially ask someone who knows you professionally to do that. There are states such as Indiana and Washington that specifically allows this. I don’t remember the fine details for PA but it’s worth confirming this point with a simple email. Good luck!

      • Kamna Kanesh says:

        Hi Stephanie,
        Thanks for your reply. I will indeed mention about passing CPA exams with score. I got 90 in both Aud and Reg, but 85 and 84 in BEC and FAR respectively, so I am good with mentioning score. I was wondering, how do I mention it in my linkedin profile as I am not licensed yet and under education category, it asks for school name etc. Can you please suggest me how to do that?
        I will email my state board and confirm about the verifier. thanks for the suggestion.

        Kamna Kanesh

        • Stephanie Ng says:

          Hello, I guess it doesn’t matter which section you put this in linkedin. 84/85/90 are pretty good. Just state something like “Passed the CPA Exam: AUD (90), BEC (85), FAR (84), REG (90). Good luck! Stephanie

  • Suman Sahoo says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Hope you are doing good. I got my educational credentials evaluated by NASBA and I am good with 150 credits but short of just 4 credits in Accounting subjects. Do you know any particular institution that provides online courses in relevant subjects to fill the deficit hours and is approved by NASBA ? Please note as I work full time in an accounting firm, so its highly impossible to join a community college nearby.

    Thanks for your help.


  • Lori Kamauf says:

    Hello! I had all of my info evaluated and am able to sit for the CPA exam in PA (the state I reside in). Does my 18 months begin to roll on passing all 4 parts on the date of my first time application or the day I pass part 1? I’m just concerned I will apply to take part 1 without being ready to take it and I want to know what kind of time I’m working with on how long I have to pass all 4 parts. Thank you!

  • jinkook says:

    I paid full fee 15 year ago for the tests. But I did not took it. Can I get waive the first time fee when I pay the next tests?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Jinkook, it sounds like a no-show to me, and if so I am afraid not. You can double check with the state board to confirm. Regards, Stephanie

  • Tawfik Salem says:


    I passed all four parts of the CPA exam by the end of 2010 in the state of Pennsylvania. However, I only recently started to work for a CPA. I passed the exam before the new regulation, and only have 120 hours of education. I have submitted my experience hours for the previous CPA employers, but I think I’m still short of the old 3200 experience hours needed to apply for the license in PA. Could you please let me know how long do I have before my experience expires? Am I on the right track or do I must obtain additional 30 education hours in order to apply for the license in PA? I know for sure that I need to obtain 80 CPE hours.
    Thanks for your help!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Tawfik, I can’t recall when PA started to enforce the 150-hour rule and whether you would have been grandfather by that, since you passed the exam 6 years ago. It is best to check directly with PA state board. Good luck!

  • Sayed says:


    I transferred my credit (AUD, FAR and BEC) from New Hampshire to Pennsylvania board of accountancy, I read the terms there is no residency requirements for Pennsylvania while on application there is a requirement for 3 reference who are residents in Pennsylvania.

    Please advise this reference document is requested for examination or license, and if requested please advise what should I do as I am international candidate from Egypt not from Pennsylvania.

    Appreciate your feedback as my credit will be lost next Feb 2017

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Sayed, it is best to check directly with PA state board.
      But my interpretation is that you don’t necessarily need to be a resident of PA but they want you to at least be “connected” to PA, and the 3 references is a proof of that.

  • Amy says:

    Hello Stephanie,
    I recently graduated with a BA degree in accounting. I have 1yr experience in accouting and only one of my boss is cpa and other boss is from an investing firm. I have moved to a new place( still in pa) and just for temporary atleast 1 year due to family stuff. And it’s really hard to find an accouting job in the new place i am living in . I plan to study for cpa exam so i don’t have to waste 1 year living here. Please give me advice how should i start? i know you mentioned above that candidate don’t need 150hrs to sit for exam , so can i take the exam first then continue taking extra 30 credits and gain 2 yrs experience to receive the cpa license after i passed the exam? Are there any requirement after passing the exam ? Will my test result expire after certain amount of time?

  • Mark says:


    I have an accounting education background, have all the prerequisites to take the exam, and would like to take the exam. However, I don’t have the required work experience for licensure and I don’t plan on leaving my current job in the near future (I don’t do any accounting or finance related work). I know there is a five year deadline to get the work experience after applying for licensure, however is there a deadline to apply for licensure or can I wait as long as I want to apply for licensure after passing the exam?


  • Sudha says:


    I am an International student (B.Com from India and Masters in Accountancy from U.S.A). I completed my undecided jurisdiction evaluation done through NASBA and and they gave me three states Georgia, Pennsylvania and NewYork. I do not satisfy the 150 credit hour requirement yet (I’m working on it) which is why I had to go this route.

    I stay in Michigan and I would like to eventually get licensed in Michigan however I only have 120 credits and want to give the exams as I have been preparing for them and know it is going to take time completing the 150 hour requirement.

    It would be great if I can get an insight as to which jurisdiction to choose from (Georgia, Pennsylvania or NewYork) so it would be a bit helpful for me to transfer exam credit/license in the future.

    Very much appreciate all your assistance!


  • Sharon T. says:

    Doesn’t PA require 24 credits in accounting and auditing, business law, finance or tax and then an additional 12 in accounting, auditing and tax? Your site says an additional 24.

  • Raj says:

    I’ve some doubt on the experience requirements; do I need to work under/ with a CPA to get my experience verified or any licensed CPA holder can sign my experience certificate?


  • >