Minnesota CPA Requirements (Rules on Exam and Licensing)

Minnesota CPA requirementsMinnesota generally requires an accounting concentration in order to sit for the examination, but work experience can be used to waive the degree requirement.

Please also note that only local residents are granted CPA certification in this state.

Minnesota CPA Requirements

1. Education Requirements to Take the Exam

Candidates should fulfill ONE of the following:

(a) Graduate degree in accounting

  • You are automatically qualified.

(b) Graduate degree in business

  • Accounting courses:
    • 24 semester hours in undergraduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting; OR
    • 15 semester hours in graduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting; OR
    • Equivalent combination.

(c) Undergraduate degree in accounting or business

  • Accounting courses:
    • 24 semester hours in undergraduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting;
    • 24 semester hours in business courses.

(d) Undergraduate degree

  • If you get enough accounting and business credits you could be qualified. Please take a look at this page from NASBA for details.

Special note: May sit 180 days prior to meeting educational requirements, of 90 days prior to the sitting for the exam.

2. Additional Minnesota CPA Requirements to Obtain the License


  • 150 semester units from an accredited university or educational institution.

Work Experience

  • 1 years of relevant work experience, verified by a CPA licensee. It does not specifically say the verifier has to be a supervisor, but you should double check with MN State Board for the latest interpretation.
  • If 4 years or more have passed since the passing of the CPA examination, 120 hours of CPE is required.

*Launched in Apr 2016* The NASBA Experience Verification service is now available to those who do not have access to an active U.S. CPA for verification.

Ethics Qualification

3. Minnesota CPA Requirements on Residency & Age

  • US citizenship not required.
  • Candidate must be a resident, employee, or keep office(s) in the state.
  • Minimum age: 18.

4. Fees

  • First-timers: $774 + application fee.

5. Continuing Education

Please click here for Minnesota CPA CPE requirements, which is mandatory for active license holders.

6. Other Useful Information

7. Contact

Minnesota State Board of Accountancy
85 East 7th Place, Suite 125
St. Paul, MN 55101

  • Email: cpaes-mn@nasba.org
  • Phone: (651) 296-7938
  • Fax: (651) 282-2644

What if the Minnesota CPA Requirements don’t Work?

Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:

If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment below, or visit my Facebook page.

About the Author Stephanie Ng

I am the author of How to Pass The CPA Exam (published by Wiley) and the publisher of this and several accounting professional exam prep sites

follow me on:
  • Sally says:

    Just wonder if I study there, would i be able to sit?

    • Stephanie says:

      Hi Sally,
      It will depend whether you are studying in a 4-year bachelor degree program with accounting concentration (or at least enough credits to get qualified). And you’ll need to fulfill the 150 credit hour requirements.


  • Sally says:

    Oh i forgot. ima graduate in U of arkansas and thinking about going to U of Minn to get master of accounting. Coz up there you say Min state only let the residents take the test and such. Would I be able to sit for the CPA there?

    • Stephanie says:

      I see Sally. I believe if you study there you will be qualified… because you are considered a “resident” then. Cheers, Stephanie

  • Joshua says:

    If I have a bankruptcy and a foreclosure on my record. Would that disqualify me from taking the CPA exam? Also, would this hurt my employment opportunities significantly.

  • Molly says:

    I have graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in Accounting but have yet to complete my 150 credits. Would I need to complete a certificate of enrollment in this case for the extra credits even though I have already graduated? If not, how do I notify NASBA that I have completed my 150 credits?

  • Stephanie says:

    Dear all,
    I have set up a new comment box powered by Facebook to let me answer your questions more efficiently. It can be found right after each article. Thanks! Stephanie

  • Stephanie says:

    Hi Joshua,
    No necessarily, but it really depends on the specific rule for each state.

    Are you planning to register for the CPA exam in Minnesota? Then please call 651-296-7938 and speak with the rep at the Minnesota Board of Accountancy. Best of luck! Stephanie

  • Stephanie says:

    Hi Molly,
    Typically it is ok but it will depend on how far you are off from the 150 credit (especially whether you have fulfilled the minimum requirement for accounting courses)

    Please go to this PDF for a detailed education requirements for Minnesota. hope it helps! Stephanie


  • Madhu says:

    I acquired my B.com(H) degree in 2003 and my M. Com degree in 2005 from Delhi university India. As I acquired them many years ago, can I sit for cpa exam . I am living in Minnesota since last two years. I need this information as I am thinking of sending my degrees to NIES for evaluation and it involves fees.


  • >