Alaska allows CPA candidates to sit for the exam before they graduate, specifically, within 18 credit hours of graduation.
They also allow non-accounting degree holders to sit for the exam (provided they have 1 year of public accounting experience), but you will need 150 credit hours and 2 years of relevant experience in order to get a license.
Alaska CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam (Sec. 08.04.12)
- Bachelor degree or above
- Fulfill any one of the condition below:
- Degree in Accounting: at least 15 credit hours of accounting courses;
- Degree with concentration in Accounting: 24 credit hours of accounting, 3 hours of business law, 3 hours of economics and 3 hours of math/statistics/computer science;
- Degree-in-progress in Accounting: 15 credit hours in accounting and 18 or less credit hours remaining before graduation; or
- Non-Accounting Degree (with <15 credit hours of accounting courses): 1 year of public accounting experience
Note: may sit for the exam before they graduate, specifically, within 18 credit hours of graduation
2. Additional Alaska CPA Requirements for the License (Sec. 08.04.12)
- 150 credit hours from an accredited university or institution
- Candidates may be grandfathered if CPA exam was completed before Jan 1, 2008. Please contact Alaska State Board for details
- 2 years of accounting experience “satisfactory to the Board” *
- I emailed Alaska State Board for further clarification on the above but they did not provide me a specific answer. I believe you will need to present your own experience and ask if this could be deemed qualified.
*Launched in Apr 2016* The NASBA Experience Verification service is now available to those who do not have access to an active U.S. CPA for verification.
- Passing of the CPA Ethics Exam administered by the AICPA.
3. Alaska CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required
- Alaska residency not required
- Minimum age: none
- SSN is generally required but for those who don’t (e.g. because you don’t live in the US) request a waiver form
- First-timers: $774 + application fee
5. Continuing Education
CPE is required for license holders. Please click here for Alaska CPA CPE requirements.
6. Other Useful Information
Alaska State Board of Public Accountancy
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
333 Willoughby Avenue
Juneau, AK 99801-1770
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 907-465-2550
- Fax: 907-465-2974
What if Alaska CPA Requirements Don’t Work for Me?
Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment below, or visit my Facebook page.