Michigan state board allows candidates to sit for the exam with 120 credit hours, but 150 credit hours must be completed upon applying for the license. 1 year of experience is needed which is typical of the 3E requirement.
Michigan CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
- Bachelor degree or above.
- Accounting courses: 24 credit hours with at least 1 course in each of the following:
- financial accounting;
- managerial accounting;
- accounting systems and controls;
- U.S. taxation; and;
- governmental/fund accounting.
- Business courses: 24 semester units.
Note to Indian Chartered Accountants:
Michigan no longer gives prerequisite to Indian CA holders and they no longer recognize your credentials from your chartered accountant qualification. If you are a BCOM + CA only (i.e. without a masters’ degree) I personally don’t think you can get qualified. Please read this post for further information.
2. Additional Michigan CPA Requirements to Get the License
- Fulfill the 150 credit hours requirement
- Additional courses may be required. Check out this educational requirement for details.
- 1 year (2,000 hours) of work experience, verified by an active CPA licensee. There is no specific mentioning of the experience being supervised by a CPA, but please double check with State Board for their latest interpretation.
- Public and non-public accounting, as well as taxation is considered relevant experience.
*Launched in Apr 2016* The NASBA Experience Verification service is now available to those who do not have access to an active U.S. CPA for verification.
3. Michigan CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required.
- Michigan residency not required.
- Minimum age: none.
- First-timers: $774 + application fee
5. Continuing Education
CPE is required for license holders. Click here for Michigan CPA CPE requirements.
6. Other Useful Information
- NASBA CPA Exam Information – Michigan (this is where you start the application)
- General Licensing requirements
- MI CPA licensing – experience requirements
Michigan Board of Accountancy
Dept. of Labor & Economic Growth
P.O. Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909-7518
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (517) 241-9249
- Fax: (517) 373-216
What if the Michigan CPA Requirements Don’t Work for Me?
Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment below, or visit my Facebook page.