Georgia CPA exam requirement is relatively straight-forward with a bachelor degree and a minimum of 20 credit hours of accounting courses that are beyond the introductory level.
Please note that there are additional educational requirement when you apply for the license.
Georgia CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
- Bachelor degree or above with accounting concentration
- Accounting courses: 20 credit hours above introductory level
- Note that CLEP courses are not accepted.
Special note to BCOM + CA holders (effective August 8, 2012):
Education requirements must be met through academic coursework completed at an accredited institution. Professional training is not acceptable toward these requirements. Coursework completed as part of a Chartered Accountant program is considered professional training and is, therefore, not accepted toward the education requirements for the U.S. Uniform CPA Examination.
2. Additional Georgia CPA Requirements for the License
- 150 credit hours from an accredited university or educational institution.
- Accounting courses: 30 credit hours in intermediate/advanced level.
- Business courses: 24 credit hours.
- 1 year (2,000 hours) of public accounting experience.
- Non-public accounting experience is now allowed but is subject to the discretion of the Board. Please click here for a list of acceptable employment.
- Must be completed not more than 1 year immediately preceding the date of application.
- Except for government and teaching, all work has to be supervised by an active CPA in order to get counted as relevant experience.
- None required.
3. Georgia CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required.
- Georgia residency not required.
- Minimum age: 18.
- First-timers: $734 + $135 (initial application fee).
5. Continuing Education
CPE is required for license holders. Please click here for Georgia CPA CPE requirements.
6. Other Useful Information
Georgia State Board of Accountancy
237 Coliseum Drive
Macon, GA 31217-3858
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 478-207-2440
- Fax: 478-207-1363
What if the Georgia CPA Requirements Don’t Work for Me?
Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment below, or visit my Facebook page.