CPA Exam Location: How to Apply in One State and Take Test in Another

cpa exam locationThere are many reasons why a candidate wants to register for the exam in one state and physically take the exam in another.

For example, an international candidate finds New Hampshire the most favorable in the qualification requirement, but since his cousin lives in California, he wants to go to CA for the exam.

Another example: a candidate is currently working in NY and plans to relocate to TX 6 months later. She can take some parts of the exam in NY and the rest in her new state.

The Flexibility of CPA Exam Location

AICPA, the administer of the Uniform CPA Exam, let you choose your own CPA exam location. It allows all CPA candidates to physically sit for the exam in any prometric centers around the country (including the 4 jurisdictions: Washington DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands).

What is a Prometric Center?

AICPA outsources the administration of the CPA Exam sites to Prometric, a company specialized in computerized testing and assessment services.

Prometric administers standardized tests for many professions in accounting, finance and medical field. The company has delivered more than 10 million exams through a network of over 10,000 testing locations in more than 160 countries.

International CPA Exam Location

Since August 2011, CPA exam locations area available outside of the US, namely in Japan, Brazil and 4 Middle East countries. There are certain residency restrictions on how one can get qualified. Please refer to this page for details.

If you work in Asia and prefer an exam site in this time zone, Guam is a great choice. Note that there is a surcharge of US$110 per exam section to take the exam in Guam.

For Your Further Reading

Join The Aspiring CPA Community!

If you are serious about the CPA exam, you are most welcome to sign up for this free e-course to learn about the CPA exam. I have two versions designed for candidates with different background:

us-course intl-mini-course
For US candidates
(Those with US degrees, or
graduate/live/work in the US)
For Intl Candidates
(Those who study abroad, or
graduate/live/work outside of the US)

About the Author Stephanie Ng

I am the author of How to Pass The CPA Exam (published by Wiley) and the publisher of this and several accounting professional exam prep sites

follow me on:
  • RB says:

    Hi Stephanie, I am from India and will be giving my exam in 4th Qtr of this year, so as per your experiance which state is best in terms of Least cost of stay and food as compared to other states and also have close proxemity to Prometric centre. Pls suggest

  • Stephanie says:

    Hi RB,
    Prometric centers are located in major cities in each state, so I am sure you can find a place where it is close to one of those centers.

    As for the least cost in terms of food and accommodation, I would think that as long as you avoid the big cities where cost of living is higher it is more or less the same throughout the US.

    I would suggest that you pick a place where it cost the least for you to fly from India. Difference in air ticket will likely override any saving you may have for those few days in the US.

    Cheers, Stephanie

  • kayla says:


    I want to make sure that I am understanding the requirement of locations for the CPA. I live in Northern Illinois and where the closest testing center is located in in Wisconsin. I plan on getting my CPA for the State of Illinois but I want to know if I can take my exams in Wisconsin?

    Thank you


    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Kayla, yes you can. Simply register in IL and then when it’s time for you to schedule the exam on prometric website, choose the WI center. Regards, Stephanie

  • Hillary says:


    I have already taken my first exam at the center closest to me (tallahassee,FL ), however this location does not have many dates of availability for my 2nd exam. Can I choose to take my second exam at a different location in a different state (Valdosta, GA)?

  • Pooran Kapoor says:

    Hi Stephanie !

    I am an international candidate going to pursue CPA and wanted to know whether registering in a particular state will affect my candidature as a CPA. I am currently studying in my 1st year of MBA and working at the same time. As per the current update I believe Virgin islands is the only state in which a 5 year education rule does not apply. Could you also let me know if I would require an SSN for that state as I wish to complete my CPA as soon as possible with my masters and start working.

  • Thu Tran says:

    Hi Stephanie,

    Firstly, I would like to say thank you for your time and effort that you have put in this Website. Actually, I used to be confused and frustrated until I found out this website and knew that you could hep me.

    Currently, I am pursuing master degree in accountancy and expect to graduate by next year. I am thinking to study for CPA so that I can complete all CPA exams and start to find a job at the date of graduation. My state (California) requirement for CPA license is one year-experience. If I am lucky enough to get a job in one CPA firm, that would be great to me. However, in case I could not find any employer which is willing to support my visa, I have no way but to return to my country in Asia.

    I am wondering whether the fact that I pass the U.S CPA will benefit me in finding the job in my country. And can you please suggest which things I should do to increase the probability to get a job offer in U.S or in my country?

    Could you please give me some advice on my case?

    Many thanks for your help!

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Thu Tran, thanks for your note! I am glad that you are planning ahead. It is the easier to get H1B visa from the big firms, like the Big 4, so I would definitely go for that.

      In case you are to return to Asia, the US CPA license is the most helpful in US regional offices where they need professionals to have knowledge in US GAAP. Having the CPA license (or passing of the CPA exam) would be a great advantage. Likewise, CPA firms that work with these US regional offices would value your CPA exam experience as well. In fact, it will be even better because you’ll be more likely to find an active US license holder in a CPA firm rather than in a corporate. Hope it helps!

  • Samantha veloro says:


    I am currently living in Illinois and have been approved/and sat for one section of the CPA exam already. However, due to circumstance i am moving to California in a couple months. Just to clarify, i would be able to take the other sections in California and if i pass all four sections (while in california) i will receive my license in Illinois correct?


  • Miranda Goscicki says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I currently registered for the New York jurisdiction for the CPA exam. I go to school in Rhode Island currently would I be able to take the test in Rhode Island and it count?

    • Stephanie Ng says:

      Hi Miranda,
      Yes, that would totally be fine. Just pick the closest exam center in Rhode Island when scheduling at the prometric site.

  • Andy says:

    HI there,

    First of all great job with the website!! I am currently a legal US permanent resident (not a U.S citizen), working in Texas. I am currently pursuing an online Master’s degree in Accounting from University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill and am trying to find the path of least resistance to give the CPA exams and get licensed and then transfer my license to Texas (since Texas has an outdated requirement, that 15 credits should be in person).
    I have a bachelors degree in Economics (121 credit hours) and will have 22 graduate level accounting credit hours by October.

    In your opinion, what state should I seriously consider to try and get licensed in? My objective is to minimize the education requirements I have so I can sit for the CPA exams and get it done asap before starting a family next year.

    Thank you in advance.

  • Andy says:

    Are you aware of any issues related to transferring a CPA license between states from any of the aforementioned locations? E.g if someone wants to transfer their CPA license from Alaska to Texas?

    Thank you.

  • Ranit Paul says:

    Hi Stephanie,
    I am from India, an MBA currently working with S&P Global. I am looking forward to take up this course, am I eligible to be a CPA? If yes, what will be my nearest center where I can appear for the exam?

  • Mila Johnson says:


    I applied for, and took one exam in the state of Missouri but did not pass. I have now moved to Georgia and want to know if I can retake the test and remaining 3 parts of the Missouri exam while I am living in Georgia and get licensed in Missouri?

  • Brittany Badillo says:


    I currently work and live in New York and have passed 2 of the exams. My husband and I are moving to Conneticut, however I will still work in New York. Can I still get my CPA license in NY even though I’ll be living in CT and working in NY?


  • Allie Hackett says:

    I have a bachelor’s degree in Accounting and am looking to sit for the CPA exam. However, I am currently in the process of getting my Master’s Degree in Accounting in Texas. Currently, I have completed 146 hours and will have 152 by May. I am working in Massachusetts after graduation, so will register to be a CPA in Massachusetts, but am currently in college in Texas. I was hoping I would be able to take some of the CPA exam in Texas during this semester since I have a lot of time to study. Massachusetts requires only 120 hours to sit for the exam but Texas requires 150. Since I ultimately want to be registered in Massachusetts, is it possible that I can sit for the exam in Texas with only my 146 hours? Thank you!

  • Rachell says:


    I’m currently working in the big 4 in Norway and applied to CPA WASHINGTON. Just wondering if it is possible to take the exam in any state in US? Or do I have to take it in Washington state?

  • >