Roger CPA Review was founded by Roger Philipp in 2001 after his teaching experience in Dauberman CPA Review, Mark’s CPA Review and Stanley Kaplan CPA review.
Originally began as live classes in San Francisco, the review courses have expanded into the online format with optional offline lectures on a USB drive, and students outside of the US can take the classes. Roger boasts a 88% pass rate with over 85,000+ students went through his CPA review program.
Roger CPA Review Program Overview
Let’s take a look at the 3 offerings — online, offline (USB) and cram courses. Live class is no longer offered.
1. Online Classes
- Accessible anytime and anywhere with an Internet connection.
- 100 hours of instruction directly filmed from live classes. The lectures are broken down into bite-sized chunks, ranging anywhere from 5 minutes to 50 minutes.
- 12 months of viewing access:
- $50 fee to renew after 12 months for an additional 6 months;
- Unlimited lecture viewings.
- The course comes with lecture books (Roger’s proprietary work), homework (Wiley) and simulation software (Wiley).
- Content updated every 6 months.
- Ability to customize the course with offline lectures via a portable USB drive, and a 6 month extension.
2. USB Classes
Same as Online Classes except:
- You get to watch the lectures as many times as you want.
- You can only access in two computers, vs anywhere for online classes. (Second installation can be arranged on request).
- $200 charge to extend the 12 month USB course to 18 months at time of enrollment. ($300 if decision to add is made after purchase).
- You have no/bad internet connection.
3. Cram Course
- Available online and flash drive.
What’s the Strengths and Weaknesses of Roger CPA Review?
I didn’t take Roger and didn’t have friends who took the course, but I understand that Roger is popular in the Bay area where his course is originally based.
Roger CPA Review: Pros
1. It’s Personal
Roger is experienced (>20 years of teaching CPA review) and personally teaches every class and writes his own book. Quality is guaranteed and no need to worry about the quality of instructor you will get from big institutionalized CPA review course such as Becker.
Feb 2013 update: Mark Dauberman has joined Roger as Senior Editor, helping with the course textbooks and other course related initiatives. Roger Phillip used to work for him at Dauberman CPA Review.
2. Entertaining Teaching Style
Roger is truly a dynamic and engaging speaker. You’ll love it if you are into rap talks and this sort of cool stuff:
3. Focused On The Teaching
One thing I appreciate Roger’s decision is to outsource the course materials to Wiley: he uses Wiley’s books and software while he specialize on the teaching and explanation. This arrangement spares his time in updating the course materials to focus on what he does best.
Roger also authored a book under the Wiley brand on the CPA Review 2011 Update. The fact that Wiley is asking Roger to write a book for them means Roger has a great reputation.
4. Course Extension
Roger CPA Review offers an extension on any or all sections for both the 4-part online.
Roger CPA Review: Cons
1. Beware Of The Restrictions
For example, the online access have a 12-month access period. Not a big concern as long as you are aware of the limitations.
2. Help Can Be Slow?
Some readers told me about the slow response from the message board, the main help channel. It may not be as good as something like a live phone help, but it is still better when compared to self-study books such as Wiley, and the self-study versions of Becker, Gleim and Bisk.
Here is Roger CPA’s response. Looks to me that the message board is well taken care of:
“We have two professional moderators on our Homework Help Center that are professional CPAs and go through and answer students’ questions. We always encourage students to go through and see if their questions was already asked, because oftentimes they were. Additionally, if there’s a lapse in response time, it’s because the moderators are generating the best answer.”
3. Talking Too Fast?
A notable comment from my readers is that Roger talks too fast. If you are a native English speaker growing up in America who live or work in a fast-paced environment, this is not an issue. But if you are a “mature” candidate, accustomed to the “Old School” style of learning or you are an international candidate, you may want to double check the demos before making the decision.
Bring Me to Roger Now!
Roger CPA Review is the choice if you get bored easily and prefer a lively instructor to make studying easier. You can check out more demos here.
Current Discount – $200 off full online course
- Duration: Nov 4th-8th (ends on the 8th at 11:59pm PST)
- Promo Code: Roger4CPA