Missouri has a relatively strict educational requirement: 33 credit hours for accounting and an additional 27 hours in general business. Candidates are required to fulfill 150 credit hours in order to sit for the CPA exam.
Please also note that only local residents are granted CPA license in this state.
Missouri CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
- Bachelor degree or above with accounting concentration
- 150 semester units from an accredited university or educational institution
- Accounting courses: 33 semester units, including:
- at least 18 units in upper division accounting (junior/senior level)
- 1 course in auditing
- General business courses: 27 semester units e.g. marketing, management, economics, finance
Special Note: May sit 60 days prior to meeting educational requirements.
2. Additional Missouri CPA Requirements to Obtain the License
- 1 year of either public or non-public accounting experience.
- Part-time work is accepted as long as it totals 2,000 hours of accounting experience completed between 1 to 3 years.
- The application does not specify that the experience has to be supervised by this CPA, but please double check with the State Board on the details.
- Passing of the CPA Ethics Exam administered by the AICPA.
3. Missouri CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required.
- Candidate must be a resident, employee, or keep an office in the state.
- Minimum age: 21.
- First-timers: $723 (4 CPA exam fees) + $132 (initial application fee)
5. Continuing Education
CPE is required for license holders. Please click here for Missouri CPA CPE requirements.
6. Other Useful Information
- MO CPA exam application instruction
- Licensing rules on experience requirements (p.6-7)
- MO CPA licensing form
Missouri State Board of Accountancy
PO Box 613
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0613
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 573-751-0012
- Fax: 573-751-0890
What if these CPA Requirements don’t Work for Me?
You may want to check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to drop a note in the comment section, or visit my Facebook page.