Oklahoma State Board requires a standard 150 credit hours and a 1-year experience in either public or non-public accounting.
Please note that OK has two level of qualifications for accountants: CPA and PA. Please make sure you read the CPA section for the correction information.
Oklahoma CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
- Bachelor degree or above.
- 150 semester units from an accredited university or educational institution.
- Accounting course requirements:
- 30 semester hours of accounting;
- Courses must be beyond elementary;
- 1 course must be in audit or assurance (please click the application handbook link below for definition).
- Business course requirements: 9 hours (upper-division).
- At least 76 out of the 150 hours must be in upper division.
2. Additional Oklahoma CPA Requirements for the License
- No additional requirements.
- 1 year of experience in public or non-public accounting.
- This experience must be verified by an active CPA licensee. It does not specify whether this individual has to be the candidate’s supervisor but it is best for you to double check with the Board for their latest interpretation.
- For details please refer to section 15.9E (p.13 of the Oklahoma Accountancy Act).
*Launched in Apr 2016* The NASBA Experience Verification service is now available to those who do not have access to an active U.S. CPA for verification.
- Passing of the CPA Ethics Exam administered by the AICPA.
3. Oklahoma CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required.
- OK residency IS required.
- Minimum age: none.
- First-timers: $786 + application fee.
5. Continuing Education
CPE is needed for license holders. Click here for Oklahoma CPA CPE requirements.
6. Other Useful Information
Oklahoma Accountancy Board
201 N.W. 63rd Street, Suite 210
Oklahoma City, OK 73116
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (405) 521-2397
- Fax: (405) 521-3118
What if these CPA Requirements don’t Work for Me?
You may want to check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to drop a note in the comment section, or visit my Facebook page.