Nebraska is a two-tier state, i.e. the state grants both a CPA certificate and license. Candidates are required to fulfill 150 credit hours in order to sit for the CPA exam.
Please also note that only local residents are granted CPA license in this state.
Nebraska CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
- Bachelor degree or above with accounting concentration.
- 150 semester units from an accredited university or educational institution.
- Accounting courses: 30 semester units (has to be intermediate level or above). May include:
- financial accounting theory,
- cost/managerial accounting,
- accounting information systems, and
- governmental/not-for-profit accounting
- General business courses: 36 semester units and may include:
- business law,
- business communication,
- business ethics,
- quantitative applications in business, and
- principles of accounting.
Special note: Credit earned at a two-year institution is acceptable only when transferred into a regionally accredited four-year university and the credit is applied toward your degree. Other restrictions apply and please check with NASBA’s page on Nebraska for details (link below).
2. Additional Nebraska CPA Requirements to Get the Certificate/License
(i) CPA Certificate
- Passing of the CPA exam
- Passing of the CPA ethics exam administered by the AICPA
- Working experience: not required
(ii) CPA Permit To Practice (License)
- The CPA certificate as described above
- Working experience: 2 years (4,000 hours) of accounting experience supervised and verified by an active CPA licensee
- The work should be performed “within a licensed, registered CPA firm”, which means that work nature should be restricted to public accounting.
3. Nebraska CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required.
- Candidate must be a resident, employee, or keep an office in the state.
- Minimum age: none.
- First-timers: $723 (4 CPA exam fees) + $160 (initial application fee).
5. Continuing Education
CPE is required for license holders. Please click here for Nebraska CPA CPE requirements.
6. Other Useful Information
- NE CPA exam application instruction
- NE State Board information on how to become a CPA
- NE State Board information on the experience requirements
Nebraska State Board of Public Accountancy
PO Box 94725
Lincoln, NE 68509-4725
- Email (exam related inquiries): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email (license related inquiries): contact form here
- Phone: 402-471-3595
- Fax: 402-471-4484
What if these CPA Requirements don’t Work for Me?
You may want to check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to drop a note in the comment section, or visit my Facebook page.