After the change, there is little reason why international candidates would register through MT state board.
Montana CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
- Accounting course: 24 credit hours of upper-division (i.e. 3rd or 4th year level) / graduate courses including at least one course in each of financial accounting; auditing; taxation; management accounting
- 24 credit hours of general business subjects
Update for international candidates: Montana State Board now accepts NIES instead of FACS as the foreign credential evaluation agency. It is more expensive but faster.
2. Additional Montana CPA Requirements for Licensing
Montana is a 2-tier state, i.e. the State Board issues a certificate and a permit to practice. For the different between CPA certificate vs license please click here.
Note: All certificate only licenses will terminate on December 31, 2017.
For CPA permit to practice (License)
- 4-year bachelor degree or equivalent with 150 credit hour
- Passing of the CPA exam
- Passing of the CPA ethics exam administered by the AICPA
- 1 year or 2,000 hours or “adequate” experience.
- Adequate means there is sufficient evidence of “having performed accounting and auditing functions ordinarily required in the practice of public accounting”
- The experience has to be “attested” (i.e. verified) by an active US CPA licensee *
- The experience should “take place in 3 years prior to the date of this [licensing] application
*Launched in Apr 2016* The NASBA Experience Verification service is now available to those who do not have access to an active U.S. CPA for verification.
Note to Indian BCOM + CA holders
Montana State Board is kind enough to clarify the situation on CA upon my email inquiry:
“[The Montana Board] will not be accepting credit earned through Chartered Accountants, Cost and Works Accountants, ICMAP, and similar organizations.”
If you have a BCOM + CA, I suggest you contact Leslie-Anne Rogers at CPAexcel for assistance (with a fee). She could still find a way to help you get through the application process as a BCOM + CA. More information can be found here for Indian candidates.
3. Montana CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required
- Montana residency not required
- Minimum age: none
- First-timers: $774 + application fee
- Repeaters: exam fees + $95 to $135 (registration fees)
5. Continuing Education
You can refer to this page on Montana CPA CPE requirements, which is mandatory after you obtain the license.
6. Other Useful Information
- Montana CPA exam application form
- Montana CPA licensing information (outsourced to NASBA)
- Rules regarding the educational requirements: ARM 24.201.501
Montana Board of Public Accountants
301 S Park
PO Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Phone: (866) 350-0017 (NASBA hotline)
- Fax: 406-841-2305
Can You Help me in the State Board Selection Process?
Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to drop a note in the comment section, or visit my Facebook page.
* Photographs courtesy of meantux