Minnesota generally requires an accounting concentration in order to sit for the examination, but work experience can be used to waive the degree requirement.
Please also note that only local residents are granted CPA certification in this state.
Minnesota CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Take the Exam
Candidates should fulfill ONE of the following:
(a) Graduate degree in accounting
- You are automatically qualified.
(b) Graduate degree in business
- Accounting courses:
- 24 semester hours in undergraduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting; OR
- 15 semester hours in graduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting; OR
- Equivalent combination.
(c) Undergraduate degree in accounting or business
- Accounting courses:
- 24 semester hours in undergraduate financial accounting, auditing, taxation, and management accounting;
- 24 semester hours in business courses.
(d) Undergraduate degree
- If you get enough accounting and business credits you could be qualified. Please take a look at this page from NASBA for details.
Special note: May sit 180 days prior to meeting educational requirements, of 90 days prior to the sitting for the exam.
2. Additional Minnesota CPA Requirements to Obtain the License
- 150 semester units from an accredited university or educational institution.
- 1 years of relevant work experience, verified by a CPA licensee. It does not specifically say the verifier has to be a supervisor, but you should double check with MN State Board for the latest interpretation.
- If 4 years or more have passed since the passing of the CPA examination, 120 hours of CPE is required.
*Launched in Apr 2016* The NASBA Experience Verification service is now available to those who do not have access to an active U.S. CPA for verification.
- Passing of the AICPA CPA Ethics Exam
3. Minnesota CPA Requirements on Residency & Age
- US citizenship not required.
- Candidate must be a resident, employee, or keep office(s) in the state.
- Minimum age: 18.
- First-timers: $774 + application fee.
5. Continuing Education
Please click here for Minnesota CPA CPE requirements, which is mandatory for active license holders.
6. Other Useful Information
Minnesota State Board of Accountancy
85 East 7th Place, Suite 125
St. Paul, MN 55101
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (651) 296-7938
- Fax: (651) 282-2644
What if the Minnesota CPA Requirements don’t Work?
Check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment below, or visit my Facebook page.