Alabama awards CPA license to US citizens only.
The education requirements are also relatively tough — you need to fulfill the 150 semester units before you sit for the exam, and the specific courses on accounting, business and law are very specific.
Alabama CPA Requirements
1. Education Requirements to Sit for the Exam
- Bachelor degree or above
- 150 semester units
- Accounting courses: 33 semester units (excluding introductory courses)
- Business courses: 27 semester units 0r more
- Other required courses: 3 semester units in business law
- Courses from community courses are recognized for non-accounting courses only. For accounting courses it must be upper-division and attended through 4-year colleges.
- All education must be completed prior to taking the CPA examination in Alabama.
2. Additional Alabama CPA Requirements to Get Licensed
Please note that Alabama is one of the 5 remaining two-tier states that will send a CPA certificate to candidates who have passed the CPA exam and pass the ethics exam.
The requirements of CPA certificate vs license is quite different:
- Certificate: not required
- License: 1 year of public accounting experience, or 2 years of non-public accounting experience (i.e. working in accounting field in private sector, government or academia instead of in a public accounting firm). Please click the Alabama CPA experience requirements for more details.
- Only full time work is qualified (i.e. part-time doesn’t count). Full time work is defined as 30 hours per week
- Not required to take the CPA Ethics Exam unless the candidate passed the REG before 2004 and/or BEC before 1994. Contact the AL state board for details if this is the case.
3. Alabama CPA Requirements on Residency and Age
- US citizenship **required**
- Alabama residency not required
- Minimum age: 19
- First-timers: $800
- Retakers: $900
5. Continuing Education
CPE is required for license holders. Please click here for Alabama CPA CPE requirements.
6. Other Useful Information
- Alabama CPA Application Form
- Alabama CPA licensing information
- AL Accountancy Rule 30-X-5-.06, on experience requirements
Alabama State Board of Public Accountancy
PO Box 300375
Montgomery, AL 36130-0375
- Phone: (800) 435-9743
- Fax: (334) 242-5700
- Email: email@example.com
What if these CPA Requirements don’t Work for Me?
You may want to check out these pages to learn about the educational and experience requirements, with my recommendation at the end of the posts:
- CPA educational requirements: Rules, Obstacles and Solutions
- States with more flexible CPA experience requirements
- How to get extra credit hours for the 150-hour rule
If you have questions, feel free to drop a note in the comment section, or visit my Facebook page.